• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Avengers #1-#6 all to have variant cover editions...

49 posts in this topic

From Marvel Comics:

Following the red-hot events of its "Avengers Disassembled" event -- and the Wizard World Chicago branding of six up-and-coming artists as Marvel's Young Guns -- Marvel will relaunch Avengers in the September-solicited New Avengers #1 (SEP041723D). To promote this event, the publisher has commissioned Marvel's Young Guns artists with a special variant cover program for New Avengers #1-#6!

Please Note: The New Avengers/Young Guns program is the special variant cover incentive mentioned on page 1 of the September Marvel Previews, but it was not explained in the September Previews Retailer Order Form.

Under the terms of this promotion, retailers can receive one copy of New Avengers #1 Steve McNiven Variant Cover (JUL046034D) for every 20 copies of New Avengers #1 ordered by its Final Order Cut-Off (FOC) date of November 3. The variant cover edition(s) will take the place of an equal quantity of the regular cover, as seen in the following examples:

New Avengers #1 Examples

Qty. Ordered

Regular/Variant Editions Received

95 regular, 5 variant

Additionally, Marvel's other Young Guns artists will each produce a variant cover for New Avengers #2-#5, with a top-secret, to-be-announced mystery artist providing the variant for New Avengers #6.

Shop owners need only order within 95% of their total order for the previous issue to qualify for each new variant cover. Say you do not meet or exceed 95% of your order for the previous issue - then your order will be filled according to this example:

Order 100 copies of NEW AVENGERS #1 and you will receive 95 copies of must order 95 copies of NEW AVENGERS #2.

If you order 95 copies, you will receive 91 copies of NEW AVENGERS #2 REGULAR EDITION, + 4 copies of NEW AVENGERS #2 YOUNG GUNS VARIANT EDITION.

If you order 90 copies, your order will be fulfilled as 90 copies of NEW AVENGERS #2, + ZERO YOUNG GUNS variant covers.

To be eligible for the incentive for NEW AVENGERS #3, you must order 95% of your order for issue #2. If you ordered 100 copies of NEW AVENGERS #1, 95 copies of NEW AVENGERS #2 and 90 copies of NEW AVENGERS #3, your order will be fulfilled as 86 copies of NEW AVENGERS #3 REGULAR EDITION, +4 copies of NEW AVENGERS #3 YOUNG GUNS VARIANT EDITION.

If you order 89 copies, your order will be fulfilled as 89 copies of NEW AVENGERS #3, +ZERO YOUNG GUNS variant covers.

New Avengers #1-#6's regular covers will be illustrated by series artist David Finch, with the "Young Guns" and mystery artist providing variant covers on the following schedule:

Issue #

Variant Cover Artist

1Steve McNiven

2Trevor Hairsine

3Olivier Coipel

4Jim Cheung

5Adi Granov

6Mystery Artist

A unifying sketch has been done by Marvel Editor in Chief Joe Quesada, and each cover will be digitally painted by superstar Richard Isanove (Origin)! When completed, all six variant covers - the five Young Guns +1 mystery artist - will interlock and create a mega-Marvel NEW AVENGERS / Young Guns poster!

When completed, the six variant covers will interlock to create a mega-Marvel New Avengers/Young Guns poster!

Refer to page 1 of the September Marvel Previews for more information on Brian Michael Bendis and Finch's New Avengers #1, and confirm your order by the FOC date of November 3 to qualify for this mighty Marvel incentive!

Welcome back to the age of the variant.

And with that I direct your attention to a new thread; "The Unofficial Official Modern Comics Crash Thread"

CRC

CRC <-- CRC's variant signature

This is the worse thought out "incentive" program I've heard of yet. It gives dealers the incentive to under-order,rather than the other way around.

Lets say shop A has pre-orders for 250 #1s.He might go to 260 so asto get the 13th variant book,or even to 300 to get 15. Now,however, he needs to keep in mind that to get variants on 2 thru 6,he needs to keep his orders as low as possible on #1,as he must hit 95% of that mark to qualify.

This is the worse thought out "incentive" program I've heard of yet. It gives dealers the incentive to under-order,rather than the other way around.

Lets say shop A has pre-orders for 250 #1s.He might go to 260 so asto get the 13th variant book,or even to 300 to get 15. Now,however, he needs to keep in mind that to get variants on 2 thru 6,he needs to keep his orders as low as possible on #1,as he must hit 95% of that mark to qualify.

Ordering variant issues 3-6 have nothing to do with the order for Issue.

Dealers only have to order at least 95% of the prior issues order, not the first issue.

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dealers only have to order at least 95% of the prior issues order, not the first issue.

Bzzzt, wrong. You have to meet 95% of the previous issues order to qualify and each previous issues order is based off of the issue before that one. Sort of a snowball effect if you will.

So we all know issue #1 will sell like hotcakes and the variants will be plentiful, but, as we get closer to issue #6 the variants become scarcer and scarcer as retailers drop out of the incentive program or not even qualify. So it looks like Adi Granov's cover at #5 might be the hottest thing since pouring melted butter on popcorn.

CRC

You know, speaking of calculating dealer incentive cover numbers based on the number of copies they sell. This doesnt have anything to do with you guys because that is good to know for collectability etc, but a word to Marvel: Most comic readers/collectors would rather be reading a good story vs trying to figure out how to get the lastest and newest variant cover after that [!@#%^&^] stunt you guys pulled in the 90's. makepoint.gif

Quote:

Bzzzt, wrong. You have to meet 95% of the previous issues order to qualify and each previous issues order is based off of the issue before that one. Sort of a snowball effect if you will.

So we all know issue #1 will sell like hotcakes and the variants will be plentiful, but, as we get closer to issue #6 the variants become scarcer and scarcer as retailers drop out of the incentive program or not even qualify. So it looks like Adi Granov's cover at #5 might be the hottest thing since pouring melted butter on popcorn.

CRC

That's what I said! 893frustrated.gif

#5 or #6 variant aren't necessarily the "rarest ones".

What if the orders are:

#1 - 300 copies

#2 - 150 copies (not qualified for variants)

#3 - 145

#4 - 150

#5 - 155

#6 - 160

In that situation, #2 variant is rarest (at least locally) because the dealer didn't get any at all...

#3 through #6 would be plentiful (vs. #2) since #3 through #6 would all sell about the same.

(95% requirements wouldn't be a big problem by the time #3 rolls around...

dealers can even go above 95% if they want to... 105%, 150%, etc.)

When will dealers "bite the bullet" and settle for zero variants on an issue?

#5 or #6 variant aren't necessarily the "rarest ones".

What if the orders are:

#1 - 300 copies

#2 - 150 copies (not qualified for variants)

#3 - 145

#4 - 150

#5 - 155

#6 - 160

True, but shouldn't there be more of a drop in quantity towards issue #6 as customers that were drawn into the start of a new series lose interest? That looks like a lot of $tock sitting on the shelf with nowhere to go. After issue #3 I would expect a sharp decline in order numbers. If it was a Spidey/X-book it might make sense, but Avengers...

With these numbers issue #4 becomes the uber issue as customer interest declines and the risk is to much for retailers.

#1 260 - 13 variants

#2 247 - 12 variants

#3 235 - 11 variants

#4 125 - 0 variants

#5 120 - 6 variants

#6 114 - 5 variants

CRC

It actually makes the regular editions worthless. The more LCS's order of the regular edition the more variants they get. So regular editions are over ordered.

The LCS's should in theory be ordering a great number of regular editions to get more variant editions. The cost of the variant will be around $19.99 - $24.95 each. This allows the LCS to recoup the cost of the regular editions. So if the sit around for years, the have paid for themselves.

I would not be surprised if LCS's ordered 200+ of each of the first six issues, assuming they had the client base to support the sales of the variants.

Quote:

CRC

That's what I said! 893frustrated.gif

Guess we need a translator here,as I don't see his statement as anywhere near what you said.

Ever studied sequential math? Issue 1 is X,the number of variants you'll recieve for issue 2 is based on ordering 95% of your orders on issue 1. Your order on issue 3 needs to be 86% of issue 1 in order to get the same amounts of variants.Unless,of course,it is your opinion that dealers will reverse every known ordering trend in direct market history and begin to raise their orders for the later issues. I suppose if issue 1s variant is selling for several hundred dollars that is always a possibility, but in reality,dealers will more than likely do as they always have-reduce the number of books ordered as a series goes on.Seeing as they will be ordering #3 before the market for variants is very well established,I don't think many will take a chance. If orders for #1 hit 50,000 there will be some 2500 variant issues around-Do you think this will be sufficent to meet the marketplace demand? How many modern collectors do you think are willing to pay $100 or more for a variant that has a printrun that high?

I certainly have no idea,does anyone?

It actually makes the regular editions worthless. The more LCS's order of the regular edition the more variants they get. So regular editions are over ordered.

The LCS's should in theory be ordering a great number of regular editions to get more variant editions. The cost of the variant will be around $19.99 - $24.95 each. This allows the LCS to recoup the cost of the regular editions. So if the sit around for years, the have paid for themselves.

I would not be surprised if LCS's ordered 200+ of each of the first six issues, assuming they had the client base to support the sales of the variants.

You really think shops are going to lay out $1300 to $1500 just to obtain 60 books that every other shop in America will be selling as well?

I am under the impression shad you just like to argue no matter what is being said.

The subsequent issues have no bearing on how many number one issues are being ordered. As long as each order is 95% of the previous order, each LCS is able to obtain varaints. Which is what I said and is what CRC also said.

Each LCS can order more comics than the 95% of the previous order, depending on how many variants they want.

As to your second point, if you were making a point. I guess you're right, no LCS are going to order the variants, because they believe everyone else will and will be common. Grow up shad, I normally give you more credit than you have displayed.