• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ebay manipulates best match

47 posts in this topic

I noticed a big drop in sales since mid April . But I look at my Traffic reports so I know why . I had some really nice books up for sale. Early Spiderman books, FF 48 , Giant Size X-Men #1. When I sold or removed those my traffic and sales went down. Those books brought traffic to my store, which correlated to sales .

My search has one less listing, but the first two you show are the same as my first two results.

-slym

What do you mean by one less listing? Someone else is not being displayed on your screen? Are you saying that you see both of my YouTube pictures?

Yes.

-slym

There's no hidden manipulation, ebay has always been up front about that. I've gotten notices as a seller explaining that top rated powersellers who pull in volume go to the top of the Best Match list. Here's a quote from one:

• 20% discounts on final value fees for listings that offer a 1-day handling time and 14-day or longer return policy with money-back option

• Eligibility for the greatest average boost in Best Match for listings that offer a 1-day handling time and 14-day or longer return policy with money-back option

• A Top-rated seller badge on listing and profile pages

Here's another:

• Best Match using more information to get your listings in front of the right buyers. eBay's default sort order will begin looking at more information—including information in your item description—to evaluate items for ranking. Item Specifics, product codes like UPCs and ISBNs, brand, part numbers, and other descriptors will be increasingly important.

And from a FAQ directly from ebay.com:

Maximizing your position in Best Match

What is Best Match?

Best Match is the default sort order for search results on eBay. Best Match looks at a number of factors to rank items, including information about the listing, its past sales, and a seller’s track record on eBay.

Haven’t item specifics and the listing description always been important?

Writing great descriptions and using item specifics and including other “structured data” elements have always been best practices. As we improve search throughout the year, however, these practices will become increasingly vital to the success of your listing. This year, search will be using even more information, including description, to rank items.

What are the structured data elements in my listings?

Structured data is the information you fill in by making a selection of specific options from a menu or entering unique information about your specific item—as opposed to entering “free form” text as in your listing description. Structured data elements include catalog, item condition, item specifics like color, brand or model, and unique product codes like UPCs or ISBNs.

If I follow eBay’s listing best practices, will I see an improvement to where my listing appears in Best Match sort?

The goal of Best Match is to deliver the most relevant inventory with the best value to buyers from sellers they can trust. It takes into consideration a large number of factors so it’s not possible to determine how each specific action will impact your search ranking. Following best practices and making your listing complete is the best way to stay in front of the competition and making sure your listings have the best chance for success.

So, it should be "Best Match™" since it doesn't always give you the things that best match your search criteria.

Still seems like eBay is only hurting themselves to me. But what do I know, I'm an umemployed, non-college-educated hick from NC.

-slym

So, it should be "Best Match™" since it doesn't always give you the things that best match your search criteria.

Still seems like eBay is only hurting themselves to me. But what do I know, I'm an umemployed, non-college-educated hick from NC.

-slym

So a State fan?

-slym

So a State fan?

Your Best MatchTM is my foot and your balsac.

So a State fan?

I know you and I aren't close here, but we have been over this a few times...

I am not a Dookie, and while I don't hate NC State, I am a fan of their "friendly rival."

I am a UNC Tarheel all the way.

Also, I call myself a "hick" only due to geographics. I am so unlike a typical Southerner, besides my love of BBQ, that it is kind of ridiculous. I don't like Chevrolet, I don't own a truck, I am not a farmer, I don't have a disgusting accent, and I absolutely hate NASCAR.

:grin:

-slym (his bedroom growing up had two white walls and two Carolina Blue walls) ;)

So a State fan?

I am not a Dookie, and while I don't hate NC State, I am a fan of their "friendly rival."

Also, I call myself a "hick" only due to geographics. I am so unlike a typical Southerner, besides my love of BBQ, that it is kind of ridiculous. I don't like the hot summers, I am not a farmer, I don't have a disgusting accent, and I absolutely hate NASCAR.

-slym (his bedroom growing up had two white walls and two Carolina Blue walls) ;)

I used to harass Green the same way. He still loves me and you will as well.

xoxo

greggy

-slym

So a State fan?

Your Best MatchTM is my foot and your balsac.

Heh. ™ = alt-0153, at least on a PC. Macs I know nothing about.

;)

-slym

So a State fan?

Also, I call myself a "hick" only due to geographics. I am so unlike a typical Southerner, besides my love of BBQ, that it is kind of ridiculous. I don't like the hot summers, I am not a farmer, I don't have a disgusting accent, and I absolutely hate NASCAR.

xoxo

greggy

I already love you, greggy!

"You had me at 'suck it!'"

:luhv:

-slym

As a buyer on eBay, I sort my search findings by price. Therefore the cheapest comes up first every time.

Looking at best buyer? meh who cares...

Narrow your searches as much as possible and then flip it for best price.

Who just does a regular search?

First I look up sold items to see the going rate, then I search, but I start sorting it first by time left to see whats ending soon if its a common item. I'll then set my price and add the items to my snipe software of choice. Otherwise if I search I'll sort by buy it now and then by price if its something I want to snag without bargain hunting or waiting for an auction.

So a State fan?

xoxo

greggy

I already love you, greggy!

"You had me at 'suck it!'"

:luhv:

-slym

:sick:

Has anyone ever experience a sudden drop off of their ebay sales?

Since the first of the month my sales are down about 80%. Nothing has changed from my end. Having researched this topic I've found that the term is 'throttling'. Here is an interesting post found on the subject:

"I had an hour long conversation with my friend that has a master's degree in IT and programming and he stated that 'Best Match is solely designed to hide manipulation of the company offering the items to favor selected vendors, products or items that they want shown first. Best Match has nothing to do with the buyers' interests rather the issuing company. Best Match allows for hidden manipulation of search.'

He goes on to explain that regional search results are caused by search queries hitting servers in certain cities, i.e. starting in LA, then Austin, the Miami and up the Eastern seaboard, etc. Therefor if your items are 'down' on a server in Austin due to manipulation but are visible in Miami, you will notice sales to specific states or regions since that is where the search query is finding the data.

He goes on to explain that 'placing limits on impressions, views, monetary daily, weekly, month, yearly totals, total items sold, etc. is an extremely easy -script to write and is a completely normal process in setting up a site like this.'

My only suggestion is the have many selling accounts and have multiple IP addresses fixed throughout the US or abroad. It's a shame that this is what we are left to deal with but there are far too many people reporting the same exact issues for this to purely be speculation or conspiracy. "

If anyone would like to conduct a simple test of the Best Match algorithm, lets do it here.

I'm in the midwest. We would need someone from other regions to see if their listing are being viewed out of their area.

Rolling blackouts. :(

ebay Canada on a CH336-67001 search showed your ---- HP Designjet 500 GL\2 Card Formatter C7772A CH336-67001 New Factory Sealed --- as a international seller at bottom of page

on a C7772A search it showed just that listing only

Hope that helps :)

I typed them into ebay UK and got nothing :(

edit

I should mention comics sometimes don't show up on ebay Canada that are on ebay usa ! google finds them though ?

I did the searches today from Cleveland. Today Ebay gave me the newest search page (the one that allows items for sale, items sold, and items ended)

for C7772A yours is second on the list and for CH336-67001 yours is third on the list