• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moral dilemma…should I say something?

What would you do?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

189 posts in this topic

And one of those "everyone knows" things is that Action Comics 1 is worth a ton of money.

Joanna, I have to say that, in work, many folks know I collect comics and many enjoy seeing them (I have them shipped to my workplace - much safer as they have tracking of receipt). But literally none of them had ever heard of Action 1. Not a one. And some are older than we are! Sometimes I think (and I am guilty of this too) that out own familiarity with comics is unconsciously transferred to the general public.

As far as the whole Church Collection goes - I read all the Mile High Databse stuff today. As I said, love it or hate it - the documents are comic history. Not necessarily accurate but the same kind of document that, over time, will be discussed, questioned, doubted, adhered to etc etc.

I have kept my own opinions to myself about the right/wrong on this for one reaosn: I just don't know. grin.gif That does not mean I feel others should or should not express themselves. But for me - still no opinion on "the facts of the case".

I don't know either, POV. I think it's somewhere in between those two polar opposite views that keep getting expressed.

But I will say that Action 1 is in pop culture -- I've seen it several times. Chances are, that if anyone is asked to name an expensive comic -- and they CAN name an expensive comic -- it's Action 1. I've asked friends who don't know anything about comics, and they knew that one.

Besides, The Simpsons are always on the pulse! I know squat about stamps but I know that upside-down airplane stamp is hyper-valuable. I know that brand of violin is the best. I don't need to know about something to know the "everyone knows" stuff. Granted, there'll always be people who simply don't know.

Okay, I'm tangenting, but I have a friend who, when I started selling comics on ebay, thought she'd help me out. She's a researcher, so her instinct is to start researching immediately. Her first suggestion was to put the words "comic book" in the title of every auction, because otherwise how could anyone find it? I explained that comic people would never use those search words. They'd just go to the comic setion. So she goes to the comic area of ebay, and hits "highest priced".

"Amazing Fantasy 15 -- you should sell that one!"

"I don't have that."

"Do you have any Batmans?"

"Some."

"Then sell your Batman 2! It's worth--"

"I don't have Batman 2. Look, I know what I have, it doesn't make sense to--"

"Sell your Hulk 181, someone got a lot of money for theirs."

"I don't--"

"Spider-Man -- you need to sell Spider-Man"

"I don't--"

"Here's a Superman 7 for hundreds of dollars. Sell that one."

"Just because I have comics doesn't mean I own ALL the comics!"

And so on. She kept advising me to sell issue after issue of comics I didn't own. I think she concluded that I must not own more than 3 comics, because none of the highest priced books appeared to be in my collection.

She knew about Action 1, though.

-- Joanna

Thanks for that well-thought out response Joanna, and it's pretty well what I'd write if I wasn't typing while dreaming about throttling Khaos.

CI? You were dreaming about me???? So scary. I feel so dirty........... so...... dirty........... and this time I don't feel dirty from rooking all those poor old ladies that I've robbed blind that I've never actually come in contact with!

Old article and so I'm sure the deal is done....I would give him a better deal but this is what keeps the collecting alive!!! finding great items at unbeatable prices. $50.00 is pretty low, considering today's market and intrest....however $2500 I think is to high...I tell him you think he deserves a better price and send him a couple of hundred more!....remember there is a big price difference between a NM and a G comic.....don't sell yourself short! I almost had my White Whale a while backl.....Amazing Spider-man #11-275 all for $700.00 guy backed out after he did a little research on the web...Damn the internet!...Was going ot be my "Edgar Church" collection to get my store off the ground.......

Back in 1977 Comic collecting wasn't mainstream.....you didn't find a comic shop in everytown...and you could still find mom selling her kids comic collection on a garage sale table for 10 cents....Today that wouldn't happen....Remember the Church's thought of these stacks of comics as nothing more than stacks of newspaper or trash....only someone that loved comics would think much of them and the Church's thought $2000.00 (in 1977) was awesome......if someone walked into your house and offered you $20.00 for the items in your bag of trash, you'd be happy...and to top it off they took out your trash!....I think the Churches felt the same way. ..I think they knew that there was some value to it but to receive around $2000.00 for it was a good deal (you could buy a decent new car back then for $4500.00...that's like $10,000.00 today!)

Ok, but even today an old lady could ask me if I thought she could get $2000.00 for her son's collection that guided somewhere in the neighborhood of around $70 - $100,000. (True story) If what you say is true, I should have given her the $2000.00 and ran. (Just like Mile High did.)

Sure comics are more popular than they were back in those days, but there's still a lot people like the Churches who don't know any better. Should they be taken advantage of? Well, that's the moral dilemna isn't it. grin.gif

Ok, but even today an old lady could ask me if I thought she could get $2000.00 for her son's collection that guided somewhere in the neighborhood of around $70 - $100,000

The Lady is asking you....I think there is a bit of a difference there...she wants your opinion. If I had a little 'ole white haired lady come up to me asking the same thing I would take a different approach...and make a deal using her stock and my know-how to make her and myself some money...or something to that effect. But if a little old lady came up to me and said the whole lot for $2000.00. The first words outta my mouth would be SOLD!

She leaves happy, I leave happy.