• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are Signature Series books shunned almost as much as PLOD books?

235 posts in this topic

no matter the book. if you want to sell it you can sell any ss book for more then you can sell the same book blue label.

This is simply not true. If you talk bottom line as well then universal is usually king.

I also prefer signing on the inside of the comic.

But then you can't see the signature which defeats the purpose of the CGCSS Label.

Signature series is an authentication service. The label still authenticates the sig.

To answer the original question:

Simply put, no. Think about it, people pay to get an SS...people do not purposely pay for a PLOD.

For some strange reason Stan Lee signature are a big turn off. Although I am a fan of Stan Lee the placement of the signature and the general look of the signature on a book often looks "rushed and with little effort" if you compare it to Steranko or Romita Signature you can see the difference compared to Stan Lee Signatures. Also, the commonality of Stan Lee Signature detracts from the value in my opinion.

So depends on whose signature it is and the placement of the signature although I must say being a predominantly Golden age collector limits the likelihood of me ever getting a CGC SS.

Yeah... these are trashed, I should just throw them out. :P

th_AmazingFantasy15Italy_zps62faaca9.jpgth_Avengers1Mexico.jpgth_Avengers4.jpgth_Avengers4Germany.jpgth_Avengers4Mexico.jpg

th_Avengers4bMexico_zps7e8cd118.jpgth_Avengers4UnitedKingdom.jpgth_CaptainAmerica4.jpgth_FantasticFour5UnitedKingdom.jpgth_SgtFury1Mexico_zps46c4bc29.jpg

Seriously though... it's all about placement and preference. If you don't like signatures on your books then don't get them signed. That's no reason though to come down on the people that do by telling them they're "ruining" rare Silver and Bronze Age comics. In reality, there's not much in terms of comics published in the US during those time periods that's truly rare, even in high grade. There are some books that fall into that category but I don't think any of them are books Marvel published. 2c

Simply put, no. Think about it, people pay to get an SS...people do not purposely pay for a PLOD.

Both SS and PLOD are shunned by some but, you're right, nobody covets a PLOD.

I have one PLOD which is actually the only non-SS slab I own. I don't covet the label but I do love this book and am happy to have a copy at all. :cloud9:

AdventureComics210_zps0873c8c5.jpg

I have one PLOD which is actually the only non-SS slab I own. I don't covet the label but I do love this book and am happy to have a copy at all. :cloud9:

I own one PLOD as well, which is an X-Men 1. It is currently awaiting Stan's sig at the end of this month so it will be both a PLOD and a yellow label. That's double the shunning! :o

what are the resale value of ss books that are signed on the interior page? hm I'd be interested to know if those books take a hit (and if so, how much) due to collectors wanting to see the sigs thru the slab.

If interior sigs are rare or highly sought after (Will Eisner, John Byrne) they hold their value well. I do not think the same would be said for modern books getting done presently. (Although no one is doing it, that I have seen.)

no matter the book. if you want to sell it you can sell any ss book for more then you can sell the same book blue label.

This is simply not true. If you talk bottom line as well then universal is usually king.

it has been talked and talked about and proven over and over again in the short time i have been on the boards. ss books sell for more then blue label books.

you have the purists the " old school " guys who hate ss and i can understand why. im probably as old or older then most on these boards.

that said yellow label books in the same grade will sell for more then the same book in a blue label.

I think it's true to an extent on keys. My sig line is a pretty good indicator, the books there are worth more than the equivalent blue label, even when factoring in the cost of the sig. I don't know about just your everyday modern, I suspect you're probably right about that. With the caveat being that most moderns aren't worth slabbing at all if they aren't sigged.

Who is the signer? If it is a modern book with M Turner autograpg, 100% of the time that yellow label increases value, at least if you look at completed sales. A 9.6 random gga like Tomb Raider or Witchblade or Fathom modern is a money sink worth less than grading costs, but with the Turner sign it is at least a $100+ book.

Stan Lee signs like a maniac, but looking at completed ebay sales on what would otherwise be cheap moderns, his scribble adds roughly $100 to expected sale.

A F Frazetta would be a centerpiece to any collection and I cannot see any example where his signature would not greatly increase a sales price.

Lots of common and lesser known, non headliner signers do not add any value to the book of course.

Yellow labels are premium product, people go out of their way to pay extra for it. Plods, people actively avoid and no one is purposely cracking blues, making plods and submitting them, anxiously awaiting the purple labels to come back from grading after shooing the blueness away with their sharpies.

it has been talked and talked about and proven over and over again in the short time i have been on the boards. ss books sell for more then blue label books.

Well, there is more money involved in slabbing them to begin with. Taking a $25 Universal book and having it signed can make it a $100 book - however, the expense of doing so may cost you $75. Just because they sell for more does not mean the margin for profit is that much greater.

I really like SS moderns. I feel moderns aren't really rare enough or valuable enough for me to worry about "defacing it" or something. I like how some artists draw a sketch on it also. If it's a $50-100 modern, why the hell not!?!?

I'm not a fan SA keys that are signed/sketched. ESPECIALLY high grades. I feel those are historic, and should be preserved in their original form as much as possible. If it's a low grade SA key, then maybe you can SS it sure (it might actually add some appeal), but anything higher than, say a 4.0, shouldn't be SS. The SA keys have a place in history and should be preserved as such.

So, in conclusion:

Modern SS = good

GA/SA/bronze SS = bad

I really like SS moderns. I feel moderns aren't really rare enough or valuable enough for me to worry about "defacing it" or something. I like how some artists draw a sketch on it also. If it's a $50-100 modern, why the hell not!?!?

I'm not a fan SA keys that are signed/sketched. ESPECIALLY high grades. I feel those are historic, and should be preserved in their original form as much as possible. If it's a low grade SA key, then maybe you can SS it sure (it might actually add some appeal), but anything higher than, say a 4.0, shouldn't be SS. The SA keys have a place in history and should be preserved as such.

So, in conclusion:

Modern SS = good

GA/SA/bronze SS = bad

I know. Who would want to take fairly sharp copies of the common as dirt books that they grew up loving and reading and turn them into one-of-a-kind certified autographed copies. That would be stupid.

Mike Grell, Gerry Conway, Neal Adams

photo_zps5f0d37f7.jpg

Stan Lee, Joe Simon, Gene Colan, John Romita

IMG00172-20101214-2038.jpg

Who is the signer? If it is a modern book with M Turner autograpg, 100% of the time that yellow label increases value, at least if you look at completed sales. A 9.6 random gga like Tomb Raider or Witchblade or Fathom modern is a money sink worth less than grading costs, but with the Turner sign it is at least a $100+ book.

Stan Lee signs like a maniac, but looking at completed ebay sales on what would otherwise be cheap moderns, his scribble adds roughly $100 to expected sale.

A F Frazetta would be a centerpiece to any collection and I cannot see any example where his signature would not greatly increase a sales price.

Lots of common and lesser known, non headliner signers do not add any value to the book of course.

Yellow labels are premium product, people go out of their way to pay extra for it. Plods, people actively avoid and no one is purposely cracking blues, making plods and submitting them, anxiously awaiting the purple labels to come back from grading after shooing the blueness away with their sharpies.

Frazetta is my centerpiece....

Frazettaeerie87_zps7c35c55e.jpg

I just can’t see the point in having the signature done with markers, but for the rest… to me a signature has mostly sense when I have got the opportunity to be acquainted with the artist.

That’s why I have very little signed comics, and why I am not exaggerately affectioned to my Strange Tales #168 signed by Jim Steranko when he came in Prato in 1992 (a friend of mine collected the signature for me, but I did not spoke with Steranko).

you have the purists the " old school " guys who hate ss and i can understand why. im probably as old or older then most on these boards.

that said yellow label books in the same grade will sell for more then the same book in a blue label.

Well then perhaps I'll be involved in the next discussion. The blanket statement that SS sells for more than Universal is incorrect. As a business model if you're looking to turn a profit then I would take any and all challengers of SS vs Universal. You would quickly see that Universal is by far the superior model. (thumbs u

Now for some books there are so few SS that it's like using the 1st to market 9.8 as setting the price for all subsequent 9.8's of the same issue. Anyone who sells a significant amount of slabs knows there is a premium for 1st to market. This holds true for SS as well and perhaps to a greater extent meaning if there are only 3 and the artist has passed then it could set the market.

So, in conclusion:

Modern SS = good

GA/SA/bronze SS = bad

I know. Who would want to take fairly sharp copies of the common as dirt books that they grew up loving and reading and turn them into one-of-a-kind certified autographed copies. That would be stupid.

Exactly!

Fairly sharp common as dirt books today will still be fairly sharp common as dirt books tomorrow. Everyone knows how to store and preserve their books now. Moderns of the 9.4-9.8 variety are going to be just as plentiful 50 years from now. Nobody's ripping off covers to put them on the wall or re-reading them 10 ways til Sunday. Nobody's rolling them in elastics or throwing them in their book bag unprotected.

Why not spice up the moderns with some graphs?

Nice books by the way!