• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are Signature Series books shunned almost as much as PLOD books?

235 posts in this topic

i really dont like the cgc SS books.

something about that thick black marker pen on the FC

id rather CGC get the artist /writer to sign the slab , not the book

ppl's thoughts?

My thoughts are for you to buy all the comics in the world, then decide what you think you should do with them.

i really dont like the cgc SS books.

something about that thick black marker pen on the FC

id rather CGC get the artist /writer to sign the slab , not the book

ppl's thoughts?

My thoughts are for you to buy all the comics in the world, then decide what you think you should do with them.

If he had a dollar for every caps lock key he's broken he'd have the seed money to put this plan on wheels.

The long wait I am referring to is getting set to have a book SS'd. It has to be signed by someone somewhere and with very few exceptions that takes planning. It also means holding inventory that would otherwise be universals and sold. The inventory turns alone make SS VERY expensive by comparison.

Agreed. I think if you are a dealer, getting a book SSed over universal is not a good call. The (potentially small) increase in value does not offset the decreased market size. And I agree, there is also the waiting for a SS opportunity.

There are now quite a few examples of modern books where there are more SS than universal. In fact there are quite a few convention exclusives now that initially have way more SS'd copies.

I'm sure there are. I wasn't trying to make the argument for moderns, but where there are more SS than universal is the blue label typically selling for more than the SS since it is the rarer? If no, then the market must place some value on the signature that was added.

The first "as many signed as not" that I could think of was Walking Dead 100 Con edition. 201 signed, 235 universal. To your point the SSed ones should be worth just as much as the signed ones, since they are no scarcer.

CGC universal 9.8 $59 (12 mo average 73 sold)

CGC SS 9.8 kirkman/adlard $114 (12 mo average 92 sold)

... in the cases where I have seen SS supply exceed universals it has never sold for more

So here we have a very popular case with equal # of SS to universal, with more SS selling on the market than universal selling, and the SS books SOLD FOR MORE.

(and I just grabbed the Kirkman/Adlard, there are another 11 books with other signing combinations, and those also all sold for more than the universal version.

Is it time to give up your point?

lol

Not even close. I like the title selection. What is your opinion on WD 2,3,4,13 and 78 Convention exclusive?

You agreed as a business that Universal is king. You also agreed that stating SS always sells for more is incorrect. I really do not need more than that but I do enjoy the discussion. :)

Does Phil know? (shrug)

He does know about it. He shook his head at me with disgust and then laughed. lol

He wasn't pleased that his store had negative comments about it. All were dead wrong.

Plus, Phil does have SS books also. :)

lol

Not even close. I like the title selection. What is your opinion on WD 2,3,4,13 and 78 Convention exclusive?

You agreed as a business that Universal is king. You also agreed that stating SS always sells for more is incorrect. I really do not need more than that but I do enjoy the discussion. :)

Im enjoying the discussion too...

what books make your point: "where SS supply exceed universals it has never sold for more."

I tried to find a book with plenty of data both of SS and universal sales.

And that book helped make my point. Was it to popular a book?

What book is your example of your position?

lol

what books make your point: "where SS supply exceed universals it has never sold for more."

Your book was a FAIL because the supply of SS did not outstrip the supply of blue labels. I don't know if there are any examples, or if Branget's theory will hold up, but your example is a complete FAIL as it does not meet the parameters being discussed.

Here's a slightly different take on it.

I now only own a handful of comics and almost all of them are CGC SS. However, I had most of them signed in the presence of the individual (STAN LEE), therefore they hold much value to me. I'm much less interested in buying a book already signed.

Does Phil know? (shrug)

He does know about it. He shook his head at me with disgust and then laughed. lol

He wasn't pleased that his store had negative comments about it. All were dead wrong.

1hhbx.jpg

Here's a slightly different take on it.

I now only own a handful of comics and almost all of them are CGC SS. However, I had most of them signed in the presence of the individual (STAN LEE), therefore they hold much value to me. I'm much less interested in buying a book already signed.

Thats a good point!

From what i've heard, REAL collectors go to the cons and get the sigs in person. Only someone who wants it "For eBay" sends them off to be signed :whistle:

lol

One of these days I will learn not to talk in absolutes. You very wisely found a misstep in my rant. My point was that to say Universals always sell for more is incorrect. You can see examples in WD 2,3,4 and 78 convention to name a few. The statement you quoted is more of a trend I see than something that has occurred. I am confident there are examples but I have no time right now to find them.

Does Phil know? (shrug)

1hhbx.jpg

lol

When i go to a lcs, i don't want to have to step over and try to figure out how to navigate around long boxes of drek to find a book i want. I can do that in my comic room and save the gas money :whistle: