• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

newmutants98.com

112 posts in this topic

What do you guys think? you all have stacks of NM 98 sitting under your beds? Should I get rid of my 9.9? and all my 9.8s

I'd dump some 9.8's over the next few months but keep the 9.9 if you can.

Why keep the 9.9 wont more keep popping up. There are 9 now

Good point, but I still think a 9.9 is a Hold right now. CGC has tightened up lately, and I think there are big things to come for DP in the future (video game next month - God only knows how that is going to fare).

That's what I'd do, anyway. Probably wrong, though. :tonofbricks:

I sell this book as quick as I get them in, several copies a month. Always going to different buyers, all over the world. The book is hot. This book and the Spidey 300 are the most liquid Marvel books from the 80's and 90's. This is not a hot Modern flavor of the month. Its feet are dug in deep as an established key of the era.

I LOVE Dead-Pool.

His various series along with the scarlet spider books are the only Marvel books I make a point to buy every month.

However I Still wouldn't want to pay $300 + for it his first app in 9.8.

Well, if money was no object then ya I probably would. hm

I sell this book as quick as I get them in, several copies a month. Always going to different buyers, all over the world. The book is hot. This book and the Spidey 300 are the most liquid Marvel books from the 80's and 90's. This is not a hot Modern flavor of the month. Its feet are dug in deep as an established key of the era.
Couldn't agree any more with this paragraph. I sell them as fast as I get them. Except my 9.9. Nobody wants it. :whistle:

Isn't Amazing Spider-Man 300 in the same boat as New Mutants 98?

They came out within a couple of years of each other and I assume that they have about the same print run. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if ASM 300 had a higher print run than NM 98.

Just a few bits from a good source. A conversation we recently had..

"Yeah, Spidey #300 has a higher print run.

New Mutants was dying when Liefeld took over, so that #87 has been told to have a print run of about 110,000 for decades...it caught fire, but sluggishly, so by the time of #98, it was up around 200,000. The SOO bear this out. #95-97 got boosts because of Extinction, but #98 dropped right back down, so 200,000 is probably about right (which explains the prices...if it was 300-400,000, it would be worth much, much less...think X-Force #2, which is only worth $5 or so, because it had a print run of about 1,000,000.)

Spidey wasn't doing so hot, but it average 250,000 copies sold throughout the 80's. #300 would have been extra ordered because it was an anniversary, and those did better as a rule, so probably the print run is at 300,000.

The real disparity is in the high grades."

"Interesting. Despite the print runs, the 300 this is what I found out:

NM98. 3515 graded. 1058 are 9.8's. 33% of all submitted are 9.8's

1 in 3 submitted are going to be a 9.8.

ASM 300. 7334 graded. 459 are 9.8's

6% are 9.8

6 out of every 100 submitted are 9.8's.

What I find surprising is not the number of 9.8's the NM has, but the fact they've only graded 3515 of them. More than double for the 300? Wow. I didn't realize how few 9.8's there are as compared to NM. So, if there were the same amount of admissions, there would be 19 9.9's of the NM. Scary, considering how that 3515 is going to jump considerably during the movie hype months. It's why I dump my 98's as soon as I get them, and with this alleged Venom spin-off in the works, i hesitate to sell my 300's."

And...

"There are several reasons for the disparity.

First, #300 is double sized. That will cause more problems than most.

Second, the all black back cover SHOWS (not has, just shows) more wear than the NM #98 ever will, so ticks in NM #98 are easily missed, and hammered on Spidey #300.

Third, Back in early 1988, when this was released, people still weren't buying cases of books to "put away"yet. That would take the 90's to do that. Yes, there are cases of 300s still in existence...but that is an accident of chance, not design. But by the time of December, 1990, when NM #98 rolled around, people WERE putting away cases.

Fourth...the roll up to #98 was pretty hardcore. Because #87 was such a monster surprise hit, people were conscientiously putting the Liefeld books away, because the McFarlane books were fresh in everyone's mind, and everyone wanted to be on "the next hot thing."

While Spidey #300 was ultra cool, it did NOT benefit from McFarlane being on the book for a year before it came out, and also suffered because of the hideous McLeod inks that buried his pencils in 298 and 299. As a result, #300 caught on, but it caught on verrrrrrrrrrrrry slowly. By the time it really caught on, early 1990, the odds of finding multiple 9.8 potential copies in one place was gone."

I was buying out a drug store owner's inventory in 1991. He had dabbled in comics as an investment, and was keeping eight copies of each book that came out.

There were at least eight copies of ASM 300, all in 9.4 or better condition. At the time, I didn't care about Venom. So when a collector told me he would take them all for $40 each, I couldn't hand these over quick enough as it seemed like a great price.

Who knew how big this book would be at that time?

And the lawn mower... Probably been recycled into cans a hundred times. Still, sucks about the 300's, but you still made money off the deal, I'm assuming?

Oh yes. I'm financially fine.

lol

$.50/book converted to $40/book in one week was a nice turnaround for me.

I'm pretty sure this book was abundant on ebay 10 years ago, and according to some of my 2003 Wizard guides, this book was only valued for a few dollars. That tells me that it's not about quantity, but rather the popularity of Deadpool that's driving up the value of this book. Batman Adventures 12 is probably another good example of this. If they ever do make a Deadpool movie, Im betting that NM 98 will rise even higher in value. I just don't see the value of this book plummeting as some have claimed.

The 9.9's on the other hand have definitely dropped in value.

Same can be said about Hulk 181, It's not exactly "rare" but no matter how many of them are out there, they sell! If a Deadpool solo movie was to actually come out, the price of the book would never be the same as what they are right now. Everyone freaked out when Hulk 181 sold on eBay for $1000 10 years ago. My friend who sold the NM98 9.9 that sold for 12K bought the book for $800, After the 12K sale, sure you could get a 9.9 for 4-6K but it'll never be $800 ever again.

^^

Same can be said about Hulk 181, It's not exactly "rare" but no matter how many of them are out there, they sell! If a Deadpool solo movie was to actually come out, the price of the book would never be the same as what they are right now. Everyone freaked out when Hulk 181 sold on eBay for $1000 10 years ago. My friend who sold the NM98 9.9 that sold for 12K bought the book for $800, After the 12K sale, sure you could get a 9.9 for 4-6K but it'll never be $800 ever again.

^^

I agree with this, too. Deadpool's popularity is driving the value - not the rarity. I don't collect this book, but I've sold enough to know that lots of people want it because of what it is, not because they think it's hard-to-find.

Whomever created that website must really dislike that book or Rob Liefeld. Or both. Probably a comic shop owner from the 90's sitting on cases of unsold Avengelyne books.

It goes through a market ebb and flow every few years, yet seems to always bounce right back up. Same with Amazing Spider-Man 300.

I've sold a number of 9.6s-9.8s (who hasn't?), and sometimes it is just timing when you can get it out there for sale at a point the market is back on a mad rush for this book.

Both are definitely the kings of Copper Age Marvel books. The only DC books I can think of from that period that have a fighting chance in a comparison would be Superman 75 Plantinum, Batman 492, DC Comics Presents 26 (though this is another one that has wide swings). But only Supes 75 Plat seems to hit the really high numbers.

Are there others from DC?

It goes through a market ebb and flow every few years, yet seems to always bounce right back up. Same with Amazing Spider-Man 300.

I've sold a number of 9.6s-9.8s (who hasn't?), and sometimes it is just timing when you can get it out there for sale at a point the market is back on a mad rush for this book.

Both are definitely the kings of Copper Age Marvel books. The only DC books I can think of from that period that have a fighting chance in a comparison would be Superman 75 Plantinum, Batman 492, DC Comics Presents 26 (though this is another one that has wide swings). But only Supes 75 Plat seems to hit the really high numbers.

Just The Bat Adv. 12. And I agree that the popularity of the characters will keep these books at a reasonably high level. A lot rides on this movie for Deadpool. If it's a hit, then expect the 98 to hit new highs. Except for the 9.9's. That ship sailed with Boston Corbett and his 6 pack. Now if a 10.0 ever comes up...history will repeat itself. If it's a dud, or even a flop, the book in 9.8 will still be a $225-250 book. Just my opinion.

Just The Bat Adv. 12. And I agree that the popularity of the characters will keep these books at a reasonably high level. A lot rides on this movie for Deadpool. If it's a hit, then expect the 98 to hit new highs. Except for the 9.9's. That ship sailed with Boston Corbett and his 6 pack. Now if a 10.0 ever comes up...history will repeat itself. If it's a dud, or even a flop, the book in 9.8 will still be a $225-250 book. Just my opinion.

Your reasoning makes a lot of sense!

NM 98 would not go through the floor if the movie failed. It would just become more affordable to fanatical collectors that just will not allow this book/character to fail. A book with amazing staying power!