• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

newmutants98.com

112 posts in this topic

New Teen Titans #2?

I had no idea Deathstroke was appearing in the CW "Arrow" show, and always wanted to see this character done well. One of my all-time favorite books!

What does this go for now? $200-$250?

Holy smokes!

I had no idea NTT #2 exploded like that at the 9.8 grade.

- NTT 2 SS CGC 9.8: $449 ask - offer accepted (what it is, I can't see)

- NTT 2 CGC 9.8: $283.99

- NTT 2 CGC 9.8: $399 ask - offer accepted (what it is, I can't see)

- NTT 2 SS CGC 9.8: $335

- NTT 2 CGC 9.8: $405

- NTT 2 SS CGC 9.8: $299.99

It looks like the market was very excited about his appearance.

:whee:

And...

While Spidey #300 was ultra cool, it did NOT benefit from McFarlane being on the book for a year before it came out, and also suffered because of the hideous McLeod inks that buried his pencils in 298 and 299. As a result, #300 caught on, but it caught on verrrrrrrrrrrrry slowly. By the time it really caught on, early 1990, the odds of finding multiple 9.8 potential copies in one place was gone."

This is not really true. McFarlane art had started to catch people's eye, first with the X-Factor cross-over in 337-338 and for real in 340. Not to say he was smoking hot at that point, because things didn't move that fast in those days.

The reason why it took a while for 300 to pop was because they were everywhere the summer of '88. Stacks and stacks of them at the tiny little Indy show I used to do. By the time we got to 304 or 305, McFarlane mania was in full effect. Then the rush was on to get Hulks (especially 330 and 340) and the Spideys (especially 298 and 300)

There was one month (I am guessing some time between Sept. '88 and Jan of '89) where the Overstreet Monthly and CVM both popped the McSpideys with about a 1000% spike and the fury was on.

And...

"There are several reasons for the disparity.

First, #300 is double sized. That will cause more problems than most.

Second, the all black back cover SHOWS (not has, just shows) more wear than the NM #98 ever will, so ticks in NM #98 are easily missed, and hammered on Spidey #300.

Third, Back in early 1988, when this was released, people still weren't buying cases of books to "put away"yet. That would take the 90's to do that. Yes, there are cases of 300s still in existence...but that is an accident of chance, not design. But by the time of December, 1990, when NM #98 rolled around, people WERE putting away cases.

Fourth...the roll up to #98 was pretty hardcore. Because #87 was such a monster surprise hit, people were conscientiously putting the Liefeld books away, because the McFarlane books were fresh in everyone's mind, and everyone wanted to be on "the next hot thing."

While Spidey #300 was ultra cool, it did NOT benefit from McFarlane being on the book for a year before it came out, and also suffered because of the hideous McLeod inks that buried his pencils in 298 and 299. As a result, #300 caught on, but it caught on verrrrrrrrrrrrry slowly. By the time it really caught on, early 1990, the odds of finding multiple 9.8 potential copies in one place was gone."

See that highlighted piece? That's what I'm talking about. When someone breaks one of those cases open and has them all pressed and slabbed and starts releasing them on the market you are going to see one happy camper selling a lot of NM98 and eventually a lot of people that are looking for them driving the price up are going to have one in their hands leaving people only marginally interested in acquiring one for everyone else to sell to at a lower price. Just the way the market works.

Holy smokes!

Yeah. I also watch for NTT#34 (2nd cover) and Tales of the Teen Titans #44.

Fourth...the roll up to #98 was pretty hardcore. Because #87 was such a monster surprise hit, people were conscientiously putting the Liefeld books away, because the McFarlane books were fresh in everyone's mind, and everyone wanted to be on "the next hot thing."

There were definitely some McFarlane and Liefeld books people were grabbing as soon as they came out.

But even back in 2007 when I returned to comic collecting, NM 98 was not THE high-demand book. I just checked my sales records that I keep for every purchase, and in 2008 I spent the following.

- New Mutants 98 CGC 9.6: One of my first slabbed books, $30 because the seller told me this character was going to be big and there was talk of a movie.

- New Mutants 98 raw (9.4-9.6) x 2: $25 each, and later submitted to CGC and both came back 9.8 White.

- New Mutants 98 (9.4): Todd Lange/zillaf4, sold me one for $25, and submitted later to CGC and came back 9.8 White.

- New Mutants 98 raw (guaranteed 9.6/9.8): Was offered this at $22, and turned it down because I now had four copies.

:frustrated:

So there was a slow burn on this book becoming the wallet killer it is today.

Holy smokes!

Crazy!

I can remember back when NTT #2 heated up (as did all the early NTTs) during the intial run of the series. You could get whiplash from following this book's trends over the decades, as it's been hot, then cold, then hot so many times.

And...

This is not really true. McFarlane art had started to catch people's eye, first with the X-Factor cross-over in 337-338 and for real in 340. Not to say he was smoking hot at that point, because things didn't move that fast in those days.

The reason why it took a while for 300 to pop was because they were everywhere the summer of '88. Stacks and stacks of them at the tiny little Indy show I used to do. By the time we got to 304 or 305, McFarlane mania was in full effect. Then the rush was on to get Hulks (especially 330 and 340) and the Spideys (especially 298 and 300)

There was one month (I am guessing some time between Sept. '88 and Jan of '89) where the Overstreet Monthly and CVM both popped the McSpideys with about a 1000% spike and the fury was on.

Those were not my words written above, but I can see both sides of the argument. And a CASE was sold before spiderman 3? Wonder if that netted a few 9.8's? I found the stats of the 2 books fascinating. That 33% of all NM 98's come back 9.8, as compared to 6%.

The OP should change the name of this thread to "Hey, that Copper Age book is hot again - should I sell?"

But you are right. NTT #2 is one collectors want to see succeed, and from these recent Ebay prices they are definitely doing their part to drive up the prices.

Is newmutants98.com a real site?

Definitely real, and really lame. The website is dedicated to challenging the idea that NM 98 is a rare book. :facepalm:

Oh really? Someone wasted valuable server space over that?

No dog in the fight, but I thought the site was a fun and entertaining read. It does seem an odd cause to champion, but hey, to each their own.

I agree. Odd but enjoyable. At least the website was well designed and eye catching. (thumbs u

No dog in the fight, but I thought the site was a fun and entertaining read. It does seem an odd cause to champion, but hey, to each their own.

I agree. Odd but enjoyable. At least the website was well designed and eye catching. (thumbs u

That is well designed.

The New Mutants 98.com

This site covers more than NM 98, which is nice to see. It seems very focused on Copper Age topics, though it talks about other Marvel keys. At least the links it provides seem slightly more helpful.

It’s all Black and White

Still in the Copper Age. For those of you collecting during the era, hopefully you’ll also clearly remember the “Black and White Boom” (and bust) that happened about 1985 to 1987. There were actually a lot of great independent black and white titles, but unfortunately then also a deluge of garbage ones that really damaged the overall perception of independent comic book quality.

Anyway, there were some pretty good (some very good) black and whites, where their first issues peaked in the $25 to $50 range in 1986. Including, but not limited to, and in no particular order: Elementals, Grips, The Adventurers, Samurai, Fish Police, and Trollords.

Those were really hot back issues, during a moment in time when many collectors were after them, in the mid-‘80s. You can now find many of them in dollar boxes. Yes, we’re serious. Yes, the first issues. Yes, they devalued that much.

This site covers more than NM 98, which is nice to see. It seems very focused on Copper Age topics, though it talks about other Marvel keys. At least the links it provides seem slightly more helpful.

It’s all Black and White

Still in the Copper Age. For those of you collecting during the era, hopefully you’ll also clearly remember the “Black and White Boom” (and bust) that happened about 1985 to 1987. There were actually a lot of great independent black and white titles, but unfortunately then also a deluge of garbage ones that really damaged the overall perception of independent comic book quality.

Anyway, there were some pretty good (some very good) black and whites, where their first issues peaked in the $25 to $50 range in 1986. Including, but not limited to, and in no particular order: Elementals, Grips, The Adventurers, Samurai, Fish Police, and Trollords.

Those were really hot back issues, during a moment in time when many collectors were after them, in the mid-‘80s. You can now find many of them in dollar boxes. Yes, we’re serious. Yes, the first issues. Yes, they devalued that much.

Adventurers. :cloud9: