• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How best to sell large Magazine Collection of Full sets of Horror, etc.

9 posts in this topic

Firstly, I am a 35+ year major comic collector but small time magazine collector.

I assist someone with screening there comics and they recently bought a large Estate Collection of early Horror and Film collectibles, including a huge early Monster magazine set including whole runs of Famous Monsters, Castle of Frankenstein, Starlog, Fangoria, etc.

This would certainly qualify for Pedigree status, but this is not the direction the owner wants to go, but I have permission to grade certain items.

That being said, what is your preference with material like this, raw or slabbed? My comics I have no reservation about grading since I have all the material or can get most everything in reprint or Masterworks, etc. But won't collectors actually want to look at these items since it appears to me not as much is available for reading?

I am starting to pull apart certain items that I can sell as a lot and then looking at items that are grading material. I have thought about using Heritage but that is time consuming, my owner has a major book empire but I still feel somewhat torn because I feel I have a responsibility to the hobby. But it is his collection.

Thanks

If the books are high grade, I would slab anything over $250 and sell them through an online auction house, Heritage, Clink, Lonestar, etc.

The rest I would offer here.

I'm quite sure there would indeed be a few drooling collectors here.

Me,for one. :applause:

Famous monsters is one of the few collections i have none of.

High-grade first 30 Fangorias,yes.

High-grade first 100 Starlog,yes.

Almost complete high-grade Cinefex collection,yup.

Famous monsters,sadly,no. :cry:

I've never been a fan of Famous Monsters. I don't know why. I love Fangoria and Starlog.

I have a bunch of EC Magazines, but nary a copy of FM. :(

Well, the collection is wide , varied and higher grade. The whole set of

Famous Monsters 1-191 ( including the 10 issues of Monster World ) , whole

runs of Fangoria and Starlog such as 1-100, Castle of Frankenstein 1-24, etc.

Thank goodness I don't have an attachment to it, if it was Golden Age Captain

America Comics I would be getting a second mortgage!

I, for one, collect FM raw, i.e. unslabbed. I have two issues that are slabbed and the only reason is because I was unable to find those particular issues unslabbed in the condition that makes me happy.

In fact, I am seriously considering cracking the two slabs and preserving the mags using my own technique. The only thing holding me back is the fear of possibly damaging the mags during the "liberation" process.

While you cannot draw any broad guidelines since each collector is different, my guess is that most people who slab their mags are looking to sell them to get a higher price. Most collectors would prefer unslabbed mags that they could put on acid free Full Back boards and in Mylite2 bags. The slab has to be changed every 7 years, and I can't see risking sending out my treasures to be pawed over by some guy at CGC or anywhere else.

And, that is another point - every time you send out a mag or comic to be graded you risk damage or loss from the insufficiently_thoughtful_persons in the USPS and from the people handling the item at the grading service. I suppose this only concerns a collector, since a professional seller just looks at the mag or comic as a commodity, not part of his treasured personal possessions.

Anyway, I prefer my preservation techniques and feel alot better NOT sending my treasures all over God's country to be handled by gorillas disguised as humans in the USPS, or by strangers working at some grading service.

Mike