• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Throw in a little extra"

29 posts in this topic

I was just wondering how many of you out there decide on a buy/trade to toss in a little extra to thank the person that you're buying from/trading with.

I ask as I bought an X-Men 217, 280, and all the AvX TPB's/HC's from a fellow off another board I frequent. Instead of just that, however, he brings a whole pile of his doubles in VG/F or better condition (most are VF/NM). So, I get about 10 comics, all X-Men, all issue #280 or less. He wanted to "see them go to a good home, where they'll actually be appreciated and well cared for." In return, as he was about to leave, I told him to hold up, because he was perfectly fine with the $60 but I wanted to balance the scales.

So, I went and got an issue I know he wants, X-Men 325 holofoil. My copy was NM with no corner dings, no spine creases, no flaking of the foil on any part of the lettering. And I gave it to him to balance the scales. I think I did it for the look of "no. freakin. WAY!" that went over his face as I handed it over :cloud9:

And that, ladies and gents, is why I would love to know if you've ever thrown in a little extra when someone shows your collection a little love :D

I have before, and will again. But not always... I like to have a handle on the persons' taste, and if I have anything that I think they would like.

I don't want someone to think "Why did they give me their drek?"

:eek:

-slym

I look at what they are buying and try to come up with books in the same vein. If someone buys Batman, perhaps they will like The Question. If someone buys Boris Karloff, perhaps they'll like Twilight Zone.I try not to send Lucifer to someone who bought Avengers.

When I had my comic shop, I enjoyed throwing in something extra to my repeat customers every now and again - usually from their want lists. At the time, there were 3 other comic shops in my area, and I always felt throwing a little bonus in was a great way of thanking my customers for spending their money with me.

I have has Boardies throw in AWESOME extras. Always cool to get something nice.

When selling on eBay I am kind of scared adding something. Just my luck I'll get a neg because the freebe wasn't NM or something. I think I read on here somewhere that had happened to a boardie.

I do it from time to time. If I get beat up on a price, probably not. lol Most other times, sure.

To regular buyers yes - not every time though, or it becomes an expectation.

If I screw up, always.

I have had the flu for about 10 days, so my wife kindly agreed to pack and post as I was (am) laid up in bed.

Unfortunately 1 book got put in with anothers package doh!

The buyer kindly passed it on to the correct destination.

In this case I send him a 9.8 modern slab of his choice from 5 options.

Better to send a slab than lose repeat business.

The guy who had to wait for his book as it went to the wrong address got a #1NM of his choice from a selection of books.

Am I out of pocket - very much so.

But both parties have been made whole and will purchase again in the future.

Sometimes you just have to go the extra yard.

I usually like to include some freebies. Sometimes I run low but I have a big pile that I am always taking stuff out of to give away and then refilling with new stuff from different conventions and what not.

You're a good guy Mike. I can vouch for the fact that you always throw in some nice extras (thumbs u

I do it from time to time. If I get beat up on a price, probably not. lol Most other times, sure.

Really appreciated when I bought that Caliber Presents 1 CGC 9.4 from you, and you threw in Magnus 12 CGC 9.6 and X-O Manowar 1 CGC 9.4 as freebies.

:cloud9:

:gossip: Guess that tells me I didn't negotiate tough enough.

I'll throw in some floppies or TPBs that I bought just for reading if they happen to be somewhat related to the item I sold. As Chris said, the likelihood of me tossing in extras tends to depend on whether I got killed on the sale price or not though.

At one time I was blowing out a ton of drek on ebay. 25 books for $8.99, then by the end it was $5.00. I had a grandmother who loved DC and Wonder Woman who wanted to purchase some for her grandkids. I gave her tons of stuff. She said she loved reading all of them before she passed them over to her grandkids. I felt like I was helping someone re-live their childhood and hopefully added a few future comic collectors.

Sorta on topic but I'm thinking of blowing out a lot of my drek next Halloween.

I think the kiddies would like that.

I woulda thought it was pretty cool to get some free floppies when I was growing up.

My cat makes sure each package has a few extra hairs either inside or on the tape.

I'm gonna clone your cat.

I try to send freebies, because I love it when I get them. Sometimes I just forget to add them before I package.

My cat makes sure each package has a few extra hairs either inside or on the tape.

I'm gonna clone your cat.

I try to send freebies, because I love it when I get them. Sometimes I just forget to add them before I package.

sweet, send me a picture...she is a tortie so I'm not sure if that would come out exactly the same or not...

I never put in freebies, but you have to understand that you're giving away stuff anyway by selling here.