• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Replaced staples on a key book.

23 posts in this topic

Here's an example...

The staples were badly rusted and barely there so before I sent the book in, I carefully removed the remnants.

(Former copy)

sc5.jpg

So no staples

And u can still get a blue label !!

:applause:

Or a green label with a higher grade? hm

This blue/green label stuff has baffled me for years.

I would be interested in whether or not missing staples has even gotten a green unless it was an odd production error. Basically I'm wondering if missing staples are treated the same as a detached cover.

So no staples

And u can still get a blue label !!

:applause:

Or a green label with a higher grade? hm

This blue/green label stuff has baffled me for years.

I would be interested in whether or not missing staples has even gotten a green unless it was an odd production error. Basically I'm wondering if missing staples are treated the same as a detached cover.

There are cases where books have had staples removed and received a Green Label. My understanding of the Green Label is that the book receives the grade it would have received in the absence of the defect. In this case, presumably, the grade it would have received had the staples not been removed.

Here's the scenario:

You have rusted staples on a book that could, if not removed, further damage the book.

Here's the dumb question:

How is it restoration if you replace rusted staples from the book in the above described scenario with "good" staples from a book that was published during the same month?

Is this not a clear case of comic book conservation?

Thanks,

John

Here's the scenario:

You have rusted staples on a book that could, if not removed, further damage the book.

How is it restoration if you replace rusted staples from the book in the above described scenario with "good" staples from a book that was published during the same month?

Thanks,

John

I agree wholeheartedly. I would much rather have a book with replaced staples than have a book that was badly stained because of rusty staples.

CGC needs to change their policy regarding this. It's not restoration and if I'm correct, Overstreet would also agree. Does anyone know what Matt's opinion at CSS is concerning this issue?

Here's the scenario:

Thanks,

John

It's restoration because you are removing the orginal staples that were on the book and "restoring" them to a condition that improves the book with different staples.

I think -- and I can't find this on their site -- that CGC allows staple replacement with "vintage staples" on GA books without putting the book in a PLOD. I don't think they allow it on SA books, though. I could be wrong, so it might be worth calling them if you are considering this.

I asked a CGC rep a similar question and this is the response I received:

"If the staples are removed and then reinserted:

A) If they are put back in such a way that they look un-natural we might feel that they were either cleaned or replaced. If nothing else was done to the book, cleaned or replaced staples will get a Qualified grade.

B) If they are put back in such a way that we can not tell with 100% certainty that they were removed/altered/not original and nothing else was done to the book, the book would get a Universal grade.

Use the same staples, make sure they are in the same holes, try to make sure they bend back into the same position. It can be done."

Here's the scenario:

Thanks,

John

?