• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Green Lantern #7 CGC 9.6 How High Will It Go?

44 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, just thought I'd let you know that I've decided to put up my GL7 on Ebay.

GL#7

Now before you jump all over me for posting this in the general forum and not the Silver Age or Marketplace, I posted here because we all know the General forum gets a lot more traffic and I thought this auction may be of interest to several of you here, even if you have no intention of bidding on it.

A little information on it. It was bought raw at the San Diego Comic-Con back in 1986 for probably around $30-$40. I could go into details on why this book is significant, but I pretty much said everything in the item description. I don't really want to sell it, but my girlfriend and I are trying to adopt a baby and so we could use all the money we can get.

I would be real curious to know if there are any long time collectors out there who feel they have a GL7 that could match or surpass this copy in grade. CGC has been around for almost 5 years now and the next highest graded copy is only an 8.5. I'm sure there are some other high grade copies out there in various collections, but if they haven't turned up by now, it may be several years from now before they do.

Thanks for the heads up Supa.

By the way. If someone else had made the same post, saying "hey check out this auction. How high do you think it will go?" Would it have been moved from the general forum to the marketplace? I think not.

I posted it in the general forum because I thought it was an auction of general interest to several forum members. I guess that doesn't matter if the person posting is the also the seller. mad.gif

If we didn't have some rules, everyone would post everything in the general comics section. Not to sound pissy, but why do you get to decide which of your auctions is "of general interest" to forum people? I consider this on par with why people use "CGC ready" in their Ebay auctions -- because it will get seen by more people. I see this has been moved to the marketplace already. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I made mention of this auction and felt it was of general interest because of the grade and age of the book. I have other books currently listed on ebay, but didn't mention them. Not even the Green Lanterns 23 and 27 both in CGC 9.6.

Yes my purpose for posting was to get more people to to see my auction. I'm not denying that. There are several threads started by various forum members clueing us in on various auctions. A lot of them deal with potential scams, but several of them are of the "Wow look at how much this comic is going for" or "Now this is a sweet book" variety. The only difference between those threads and this one is they are not started by the seller. As I've already stated, if someone else had started the post, it would still be in the general and not marketplace forum.

David, your GLs are phenomenal.

I believe there may be other HG #7s and other early GLs out there, for no other reason than the fact that I've never seen a pedigreed issue of GL 1-20. So if there are copies from the Pacific Coast, Western Penn, Curator or White Mountain pedigrees, and if they're of the same quality as other books from those pedigrees, then the population of HG GLs is bound to increase. But as you point out, who knows when they will surface, if ever. It certainly doesn't appear as if the current nosebleed prices being paid for HG SA DC has driven many more copies of early GLs out.

Thanks Tim, I just happened to be in the right place at the right time when I bought those Green Lanterns. Back in the early to late 80s when I was actively buying silver age back issues I would try to find high grade copies if available, but i wasn't a stickler for condition. If the book was better than fine and the price was right I would pick it up. I remember that i paid a little over guide at the time for those GLs, but even back then i could see the condition was phenomenal.

Obviously seeing the prices of high grade Silver Age CGC books I wish now that i was more picky about the condition of books I was buying.

Obviously seeing the prices of high grade Silver Age CGC books I wish now that i was more picky about the condition of books I was buying.

confused.gifBased on the SA DCs books that I've seen you selling over the past year or so, I think you've shown yourself to have a very discriminating eye!