• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Holy Grail is up!!! Hulk 181 CGC 9.8 oww

376 posts in this topic

oooooooooooooh baby

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33816&item=2155797138&rd=1

Anybody want to buy 12-13K worth of HG bronze keys including..

9.6 White Hulk 141,

9.6 oww Hulk 162 double cover

9.6 White Hulk 180

9.6 White Hulk 181

9.6 White Hulk 182

smirk.gifgrin.gif

This may be the Greg Manning copy I made the mistake of passing on 2 years ago or so. Damn!! It went cheap too... still having nightmares frown.gif

Is it just me or is the back TLC slightly indented at the irregular portion on the CGC well. Like it slid into that area that always leaves an impression.

I see CGC used a single wedge on this book. Hmmm.....Maybe they should have used a vertical wedge as well.

Hard to tell from the scan ..but that would certainly "change" the books 9.8 grade in my mind.

Bruce........it's a 10 day auction......throw your books up on eBay and see if you can get them sold at decent prices in 7 days to help raise the capital for that baby. If they don't hit the reserve that you need to get out of them, then nothing lost (except a little bit of listing fees). I'm rootin' for ya. laugh.gif

I see what you mean... but I'm not sure if its damaged or not. It may be riding the upper edge and obscured ever so slightly. There seems to be a little space at lower right for the book to move down if needed. I could request a big scan of the area... good thought.

It's all probably moot as I agree the reserve itself is probably out of reach... and out of reach of making sense too. Maybe if it was White, perfecty registered and with deep color?... I'm feelin' like Homer now. uhhhooouuooooo Hulk 18 1nnnnnnn. smirk.gif

It'll be a nice dream to have for a few days as a distraction since my damn Eagles upon my other one. crazy.gif I'm not watching the game for the first time in 25 years... too painful. crazy.gif >>note to self: do not post at 3am with a buzz-on<<< ooo.gif

The only thing realistic (for me) to consider would be arranging private "pre-sales"... conditional upon winning the 9.8. I would not roll the dice unloading my prize gems without a guarantee I'd have one or the other... I don't Ebay for sales much.

It'll probably amount to just a pathetic flirtation of thinking I could have it anyway. If there was no reserve it could be fun...but it's so high already and not met.

I'm betting a ton of people will be daydreaming about this auction for the next 10 days... but that reserve may be stupefying frown.gif

DAMN!!! $13K ... RESERVE NOT MET?!!

Well, Brucie... the gang took up a collection for Joanna's DVD player............................................ whaddayathink, guys? Is $25K too much to make a young man's dreams come true?

Don't sweat it Bruce, the cover is mis-wrapped and it doesn't have white pages.

Is it really the book you want?

Don't just buy the label my friend, I know its tempting.........mesmerising even shocked.gif , but you have to look past it.

Just a thought.

ROTFG LMAO!!!

That's funny as hell... for a split second that insane fantasy actually raced ever so swifty through my head grin.gif... whatta a pathetic sob I am to want a comic so much that I'd have such an irrational thought smirk.gifgrin.gif If only Bill Gates was a big comic fan who randomly selected desperate fans to help obtain their Holy Grails just for kicks... I'm going to bed. wink.gif Bill? Bill? biiilll? 'sniff' frown.gif

Lee.. I do.

Actually, I'm more forgiving of a slight miswrap than most others... but it has to be straight . Crooked books don't appeal to me much (I hurt my neck trying to make them look straight), but I can actually live with that if the book is truly structurally deserving of the grade... and I mean structurally in terms of damage for the most part. I have my own acceptable "eye appeal" quirks like everyone else. I'm so picky in other areas, its good that I am more forgiving in at least one aspect or I'd be forever unfulfilled.

Bruce,

I have a STRONG suspicion that back top edge is INDENTED at that site.

Book has slid up into the indented area of the holder.

Get a close shot of it and post it.

I would bet the bank that book would not resub a 9.8.

M

What Matt is saying is more disturbing though. If that book has been damaged in the holder it may well not be a 9.8 book anymore.

Is there any chance of being compensated by CGC in a case like this?

We are talking about a potentialy HUGE loss in value for book damage that is possibly their fault. confused.gif

I hear you... Matt recently made me aware of this possibility. It appears, in the samples he provided in another thread, that books with "cover overhang" (more SA?) are vulnerable in particular, if they are not tightly held in place. That seems to vary. The use, or lack of use of the wedges seems to be another factor. I had not really taken notice of all this until Matt pointed it out... and I thought I was observant simply because I noticed that the "well" was not always used.

I think we need to see many more examples and hear of other's similar experiences though. I would appreciate hearing JR's thoughts on this topic and if he's encountered the same problem?

Is this primarily a SA or later concern for the most part?... due to more frequent overhang the farther back you go?