• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Holy Grail is up!!! Hulk 181 CGC 9.8 oww

376 posts in this topic

Plus.. in the spirit of fairness... have no doubt that I would offer it back to you at cost before exploring a better deal smirk.gif

Sorry man, you're stuck with that book now! Sell it to gman for all I care! mad.giftongue.gif

He's probably crapping his pants IMO. If he was serious about buying it...he would have placed a monster bid to begin with (since there is a reserve). He was thrill bidding like me and got caught with his pants down tongue.gif If someone doesn't outbid him...I SAY RETRACTION!

I just finished chatting with my friend Vince Birdsley who has recently, due to personal reasons, been forced to sell his entire high grade Bronze Collection. He has a website in which everything is for sale... droooool!!

Vince's NEW website: BronzeComic.com

I just suggested that he post the first ever 9.6 Hulk 180-181-182 auction to capitilze on the Hulk 181 9.8 fever... he wasted no time... check this out... WOW!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2156370987

Well, he is the guy who paid $800 for CGC 9.8 copy of Daredevil v. 2 #1 with the sketch cover. That's probably more insane than paying $17K+ for this book!

It'll be interesting to see what happens. $17K is a huge price for this book, but I'm guessing he'll pay up. I almost dealt with him before...I know he has a safety deposit box at the bank and has some 4-figure X-books in his collection. I'm guessing he has the means to settle this transaction if he wins it.

Gene

Thanks for the heads up tongue.gif There were some fairly priced items, but the majority of prices had me running for the hills! shocked.gif I figure, if he really NEEDS the money that bad...he'll drop his prices really fast.

I believe he's leaving himself some room to negotiate. His initial pricing has more to do with his costs plus the cushion than what has been currently happening on Ebay. He's a bit out of the loop on some items in that regard as I'm sure we've all noticed his absence bidding on all the prime stuff. Understandably, he's trying to at least break even, not lose $. As time passes, it will become obvious which items need an adjustment or not. I hope he does well because I know where the funds are heading... a VERY noble and unselfish act that very few would even consider. Don't ask please, I can't disuss it beyond that... I'm inspired by his actions is all I can tell you.

I bought the 9.8 182 and a friend bought the ASM 129 9.6W. I sold the DD 158 and 132 for him as well. I really want that MS5 9.6W and am working with him now to acquire it.

"I just suggested that he post the first ever 9.6 Hulk 180-181-182 auction to capitilze on the Hulk 181 9.8 fever"

Perhaps if he hadn't listed the auction with such an off-putting starting bid, it may have created some interest. As it is, only a select few will bother reading past that.

A shame, could have been a hot auction to watch.

But for me these kind of auctions, with such a small relative window between the opening bid and BIN are really uninspired from a marketing point of view. frown.gif .

There goes another theory too...

No, your earlier theory was valid...you said "I have my doubts...that the book is really available... unless a stupid number is bid."

17K for off-centered is a stupid number; GOOD CALL!! tongue.gif

I meant to suggest a feature listing, but I think it has a great shot to not only get the opening bid but go beyond..The BIN is unlikely, but so is $17+K on the 9.8

The timing is great as the price difference between the 9.6 W vs 9.8oww compared to the actual gap in quality will have some thinking very hard. As several board members pointed out, a 9.6 is a better value (obviously now). Prices on 9.6's should go up, at least short term. Getting one now may be a goal for a few that fear what they may be in 1-2 months (justified or not).

If a 9.6 oww can fetch $4500... his 181 9.6 W could possibly go $5k+ by itself in the beginning of this Hulk Movie frenzy... it's gotta shot right?

The 180 9.6 is a first on ebay too and could do very well by itself. If I did not have one...I'd be all over it if it was offered individually. A double cover 182 9.6 is also intriguing.. I'd like that as well, but the 9.8 will do. It's sweet.

The X-factor here is the allure to a financially capable Hulk/Wolverine fan and the temptation to put this rare set together all at once. I'm hoping someone hits the BIN for him.

You think? I need to see a better scan. Its harder to tell with that unclear digital photo but it looks pretty good to me considering how few are perfectly registered. Slight mis-wrap, but its straight and not severe. Looks centered decently top to bottom. I need to see the bottom, but I'm guessing the text is not cut off, but riding the edge at worst. I've seen much worse than that on MS 5's. If its structurally deserving of the 9.6 grade... I may grab it if the price drops a bit (doubt it though). If I see a better one later, I'll buy it and sell the cast-away. That process works pretty good and you always have a decent one in hand as you pursue the perfect one. smirk.gif