• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Holy Grail is up!!! Hulk 181 CGC 9.8 oww

376 posts in this topic

Yeah, drop the price on the Dark Mansion! The guy only paid $405 because I screwed up on the snipe!

DAMN CANUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I knew you were holding back about the Dark Mansions!!! I should have known... it has "Love" in the title. Of course it's a Greggy book! mad.gifshocked.gifwink.gif

Bruce, there was a 9.6 with OW pages with much better centering that had a ridiculous BIN of something like $2,400. I know Sully was bidding on it but I can't find it in the completed auctions! confused.gif

It would have at the end though grin.gif Sully, me and maybe a surprise or 2

I think you're being a wee bit hard on the other copy although I agree that the price is tough to swallow. I may rationalize $1,400-$1,500 if it looks the way I think it does. If you're right and I've over-evaluated it... that's another story. I need to see a better pic that includes the bottom.

When supply is limited on a major key... I prefer to get a decent copy and look to improve it later on...if that is my only option. I almost always make a profit on the one I sell (or break even at worst) which in effect reduces the cost of the nicer one I eventually find. It also provides an instant resource to go after the better copy... It's easier that way for the financially challenged. Imagine not having the funds available when your dream copy shows up! shocked.gif

I've watched some very selective comic-friends wait and wait for the perfect copy and pay top, top dollar when they finally find it.. or more often they lose it because others were looking for the perfect copy too and willing to go further. I point out that they could have bought a nice one (less than perfect, but not hideous) earlier on... so, when they find the one that makes them happy, they can sell the nice/temporary copy for profit (maybe even to the underbidder of the auction they win) thus costing them less overall AND more importantly allowing them to rationalize overpaying a bit to win the nicer copy. Often that's what it takes... but what do I know wink.gif Sully is a master of this strategy in both improving copies in the same grade and upgrading too.

Well I've been through 4 CGC 9.4's and I can tell you from just looking at the top half, it's going to have some of the same problems..off-center..overspray? Slight mark around the right side of the indian looking guy.."dirty" looking spine.

Brian

VB read the post and took your advice and lowered the opening bid and placed a reserve. Good call. It will probably go beyond $7K with all the bidding interest it should generate.

Glad to be of help. I hope your friend gets the kind of sale he is looking for.

Me too.. I think it will.

Rough estimate:

Hulk 180 9.6 ow............... $1,600-$1,800

Hulk 181 9.6 White......... $4,000-$5,500+

Hulk 182 9.6 oww DC.... $1,200-$1,500

$6,800 to $8,800

It should be interesting. This same lot could sell at drastically different prices depending on who is looking and loaded, when grin.gif

I think it will reach reserve and go to $7,250 min. with any luck.

It should be interesting. This same lot could sell at drastically different prices depending on who is looking and loaded, when

There are various financial theorems (Miller-Modigliani, conglomerate/holding company discount, etc.) which, applied to this listing, would argue that the seller could maximize his sale proceeds by listing each book separately, rather than as a set. There are many potential buyers (like myself) who would only be interested in the #181, while some #181 owners might need #180 and/or #182 but not want to fork over an additional $4K-$5K for the #181.

So, both groups of buyers will NOT submit a revenue-maximizing bid - instead, they will discount their final bid to account for the fact they don't want/need all the pieces of the set and may incur additional costs to finance and/or sell off the unwanted pieces.

You could counter-argue that somebody might want to knock the whole set out at once, but (a) realistically, this pool of potential buyers is smaller than the other groups I have mentioned and (b) by listing each of the 3 books simultaneously at a reserve price, those buyers can pursue each of the books and complete the set anyway if they want. Plus, I could see somebody paying some truly insane price for the #181 9.6 given the hoopla over the 9.8 copy and the upcoming X2 and Hulk movie manias...but the fact that the have to bid on the other 2 books may cause them to bid less than they would have (and may cause potential competing bidders to hold back as well).

The books may, of course, still sell at a rich price as a set...but I bet that whatever Vince gets as a set will be lower than what he could get selling them off separately. I would end the auction and relist each book separately as I don't think the marketing hype of the "trilogy" is a strong enough draw to overcome the financial realities I have described above.

- Gene

Utter, utter, utter, utter stupidity. Or utter brilliance, it's hard to say. In 10 or 20 years, it will be common knowledge that in its early years CGC could be off by at least 1/4 of a grade. And once that becomes common knowledge, a book like this won't be worth $17,000+ more than a 9.6 copy unless it grades at 9.8 upon resubmission to CGC after they improve their grading consistency or upon resubmission to another grading company that becomes more popular than CGC.

Paying insane dollars for the number only is a risky, risky thing to do. There are just as many reasons why it will backfire as there are that it will pay off.