• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Magical Kingdom of the Spawn 9 Newsstand Variant

19 posts in this topic

Okay... so I've developed an obsession of sorts. And I realize this obsession will ultimately see me the loser and not the victor. What exactly is that obsession? I have this insane desire to corner the market on a CGC comic book. Why? I don't know.

Maybe I am the descendant of some wayward despot... and all these long years... I've been suppressing the urges of my tyrannical ancestry. My heart and soul constantly beckon me to "RULE THE WORLD!" But, conversly, the genetic sh*t that's also fused and coupled into my DNA won't have any of it! My mind also decries... "That goal is way too tiring and I'm too f*cking lazy to see it through!" So, thanking full, for the sake of the free world... there is no way in hell it's ever going to happen.

However, I've reasoned, if I could rule and lord over something... maybe it should be something possibly attainable. So I reckon the Comic Book market may just be the place I could satiate and placate these sociopathic urges.

And I don't know if you recall... but I've attempted this a few times. Firstly, with Swamp Thing's Volume 1, Number 1, and secondly with San Diego Comics Con #2 (first Full Appearance of Hellboy). But there's just way too many of them out there to corner the market.

But I've found another. Yes! So here it is... another comic book I've been diabolically targeting for WORLD CGC DOMINATION! MUH HA! HA! HA! HA!

Back in March, I twice wrote about Spawn 9: that controversial key issue where the first appearance of Angela has made waves since it was announced Gaiman was taking Angela (his litigious co-creation with McFarlane), over to the Marvel Universe, where the lovely servant of God will debut in the Age of Ultron in June, and eventually transition to the Guardians of the Galaxy (and God willing... make a real appearance in a movie: Angela had an all too brief cameo in 1997's Spawn flick).

In one of the two blogs, I also wrote (and actually gloated) about my CGC 9.6 copy of Spawn 9, the Newsstand Variant. At the time I informed the world at large it was one-of-a-kind... in fact the very first of its kind. And for a very brief and shiny moment, it was the only Newsstand Variant graded in the CGC. But prophetically, I also predicted that it would not remain as such for very long. And sadly, my day of reign ended when another debuted: a CGC 9.8.

I remember checking obsessively almost every single day to see if my little 9.6 was the one and only. Then one day my eyes lit up with flames of jealousy and fury... for I had been dethroned! My evil reign over... extinguished like a puff of smoke. A 9.8 had dared to overthrow me!

Bah!

I pushed away the computer and cried foul vengeance to the world.

"There shall be a day of reckoning! I shall return to the throne!"

And sure enough... in a very short time I must say... I have returned to the throne.

So as I write this... your "humble" narrator... yours truly... once again rules the "Magical Kingdom of the Spawn 9 Newsstand Variant in CGC Land".

How? I got very lucky and purchased that 9.8. So, now I own the both of them... the only two Spawn 9 Newsstand Variants to be certified. I own the first and the second.

I don't know why but it feels so freaking good... almost monumental.

As I look to the "other side" there are 329 Direct Editions in the census.

And on my side... just these two beauties. Check out the pics.

Damn the Throne feels good!

SW3D

13624.jpg

See more journals by screenwriter3d

You my friend will always be welcomed and have diplomatic immunity in my kingdom.

We will share libations and indulge in harlots and wenches galore!

I feel like Doctor Doom meets King Conan or something.

SW3D

After rereading my post it sounds stupid. I was asking what you want for the 9.6 really. As it would still leave you king with the highest grade. But as you mentioned your fascination with having them all probably makes it hard to let 1 go.

Great post! I am sensing an opportunity here as I the lowly Jester have overheard the King obsessing over what will surely be a great wench to have in the Harem... I am digging through the long boxes as we speak.

Ha! You kill me! Here I thought you were kidding along with me and my despot obsession! That's hilarious!

But seriously... you're absolutely right... how could I let go of my first born? Althought she is just a 9.6, she is nonetheless my first born. Would you ever let go of the first?

SW3D

Yes... bring the wenches... bring the harlots... bring the whores... they are all welcomed in my kingdom... and I will supply the libations, the fruits... the feast!

And by God we will raise the roof asunder!

SW3D

I am enjoying the fun with the kingdom stuff. It just sounds stupid in trying to actually relay a message that I knew would draw a laugh. I'm just mad that for whatever reason I stopped getting spawn back issues at #8. Trying to find 9 not overpriced now is pretty hard.

Dear M,

If you want one... I have a direct edition I could send it to you. Free of charge.

But just for you because you asked.

Send PM me your full address and I will send it over to you.

Mind you... it's a 9.4 graded Direct Edition.

You see... the King is both merciful and generous!

SW3D

No worries...

It's a nice looking 9.4 and I honestly can't see much wrong with it.

Check out the image: http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/ComicDetail.aspx?PeopleComicID=367574&PeopleSetID=67803

Now you know I am no exponent of pressing... the King must remain pure!

However, if you may want to consider Pressing... it may bump it up a grade or two.

Just PM me your home address and I will ship it in a week or so.

SW3D

That's awesome, Honestly placed a bid for a raw one of these on eBay not to long ago. Hopefully I win but if not I'm sure it will go to a deserving home. Congrat's and if it is meant to be to share a glass I'm all for it.

K

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner. So now that I have one of these coveted babies I guess I will have to fast track it so I can at least join the table. As soon as I can get my guy to send it out and back I will send you a shot of it.

K

I went to Wizard World NYC and submitted a total of 8, one of which was another Newsstand Variant.

If you do have one... then I will welcome you to the Kingdom. :)

I also submitted two AOU 10 Angela Variants.

I'm excited Angela's back... Can't wait to see her kick in GOTG 5.

Good luck... I hope you come back with high grades and a variant.

SW3D