• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Horror Comics

Horror Comics  

174 members have voted

1. 1. Horror Comics

28 posts in this topic

So while I DID vote EC - I have to say the poll is - well - horrific!

By the way...what About Standard? Gilmore? ACG? Charlton? Superior? And those Avon 1-shots? And.................

Bottom line? Hard to really judge when ages are mixed in the horror realm!

The only reason I havnt included any of those in the poll, well basically I personally have never seen any or read any foreheadslap.gif

I still cant believe that Marvel has not received 1 single vote crazy.gif

I agree that EC had the best written pre-code books, but some of their fans will claim that in the pre-code era, it was EC and a bunch of distant also-rans. That just isn't the case. I've read a lot of great pre-code horror stories that weren't written by Al Feldstein.

I too have read plenty of pre-code horror yarns from what E.C. Fan-Addicts (I'm not that precious about E.C.) refer to disparagingly as the imitators. Many have been highly entertaining and clever, and many have been lazily formulaic despite outrageous covers promising much. Overall I'd always recommend many of the non-E.C. pre-code titles to newcomers.

The point I was making was that E.C.'s stories had better art (often brilliant), and quite a few of their sci-fi, crime, horror and of course war stories had some kind of subtext or political agenda - they were not simply exploitation comics (well, a few may have been).

The feeling I get when I read E.C.s is that the writers and editors were trying to push the medium forward (as well as entertain and push the envelope) and actually cared about what they were doing. All right, that did sound a bit precious, but when you've got Ingels, Craig, Krigstein, Kurtzman, Frazetta, Davis, Elder, Orlando, Kamen, Wood, Williamson, Crandall and all the other talented ghouls on board, you can get carried away.

I love horror comics from all ages, but my vote had to go to EC. No brainer. Someone else said it best when they stated, "it was like for a brief moment in time, the best artists and the best writers were all assembled under one roof." I'm paraphrasing, but you get the gist.

I mean, Russ Cochran has made a SUCCESSFUL career out of reprinting EC material for about 30 years now!

Just some food for thought: I can't tell you how many times I have told a Joe Public," I collect comics, but not superhero comics.... HORROR comics", and they respond with, "Oh, like TALES FROM THE CRYPT?!" Hey, this literally happened once again to me last week. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif