• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Impact on resale: cracked CGC case?

40 posts in this topic

This is regarding a CGC graded comic that has a crack in the case.

I am a newbie. I found an answer via the forum's search. Cracked cases are bad. My questions pertain to how bad and expectations with shipment.

(1) A small crack will likely not impact a comic book's condition. But how much does a crack impact the value and one's ability to resell a comic?

(2) if a comic's CGC case is advertised as in perfect condition but is cracked when it arrives. Who is responsible? Is that the risk you take in shipment? Or in cases where an Ebay seller refuses to pay for return shipping and refuses to split the cost to recase, is nuetral or negative feedback warranted?

In my cracked case, here is a screenshot:

http://www.imgur.com/uk39R4r.jpeg

Thanks for the help! And if I am informed that this is in the wrong section, I apologize and will subsequently delete my post.

That crack is not a huge issue, but I'd still be mad.

99.9% of cracked cases are because of improper packing. Whenever I get a cracked case I let the seller know that a "reholder" fee is going to be around $15, plus at least $30 for round trip shipping to cgc. Usually a seller will happily pay the extra $45 to not deal with any drama.

In re-sell value, it would probably sell at a discounted rate. If it occurred during shipping, insurance would probably be able to cover the costs of getting it Re-Holdered. I bought a CGC slab a while back, and it arrived with a damaged corner. I filed the insurance claim with USPS for $50, and they ended up giving me $56.03 a couple weeks later. That was more than enough to cover the costs of sending to CGC. On the other hand, the case I had was more noticeable than the pictured crack.

To answer question #2, I would say that the seller is responsible. Was it insured?

Thank you for the responses thus far.

Was the shipment insured?

Can't tell from the listing. It is USPS priority. I've purchased so many lately, I don't remember if my signature was required upon picking it up.

Cost of recasing.

I have heard similar figures. As I was already submitting raw comics to CGC recasing would have been $37.50 total, which includes $12 (recase) + $15.50 (return shipping) + $10 insurance.

I asked the seller that we split that cost, $18.75 each. But he refused.

For that reason, I am considering giving him neutral feedback dependent upon what people post in response here.

Note: the figures above do not include shipping to CGC. I am already sending a bulk shipment.

Per CGC policy, they must shipped recased items back separately.

Insurance doesn't always require signature confirmation. I would ask the seller if the item was insured (I ALWAYS insure comics when I sell, but sellers differ). If it was insured, get all the info from him and file a claim with USPS online. If it wasn't insured, then it is definitely the seller's fault for it arriving damaged when he described it as mint. You could easily open an "Item Not as Described" case, especially since you've already tried to work it out with the seller. If you told him it wasn't as described, I'm sure he would be more willing to work with you rather than have a case opened against him.

THat is pretty much how I feel about it.

If you are planning on keeping it, and the corner posts are intact, I wouldnt worry about it.

Example, one of the most prized books in my collection is a book from the Dave Cockrum estate with a cracked corner case. I havent worried about reholder because it isnt going anywhere and it doesnt affect me enjoying the book

The more expensive the book, the less a small crack will affect the cost but if you want to sell a copy of Uncanny X-men 487 and the case is cracked, no one will give you GPA for it.

Can't tell from the listing. It is USPS priority. I've purchased so many lately, I don't remember if my signature was required upon picking it up.

Cost of recasing.

I have heard similar figures. As I was already submitting raw comics to CGC recasing would have been $37.50 total, which includes $12 (recase) + $15.50 (return shipping) + $10 insurance.

For that reason, I am considering giving him neutral feedback dependent upon what people post in response here.

Note: the figures above do not include shipping to CGC. I am already sending a bulk shipment.

If this book was purchased via Ebay and you would like your money back you will win 100% of the time.

If you want to keep the book, but get the money to reholder it and the seller said no, Id open up a case, whats the worst that happens you lose?

If the sellers being a real , you should slap him with a Neg.

If you have any questions on cases/ebay shoot me a PM, glad to help.

Cost of recasing.

If this book was purchased via Ebay and you would like your money back you will win 100% of the time.

If you want to keep the book, but get the money to reholder it and the seller said no, Id open up a case, whats the worst that happens you lose?

If the sellers being a real , you should slap him with a Neg.

If you have any questions on cases/ebay shoot me a PM, glad to help.

imho, it's the seller's job to get the book or slab to you intact. He didn't, so open a case with eBay and neg him. As a buyer, I would like to know if a seller is unwilling to do a make good when he hasn't packaged properly. In this case, you were more than fair in asking him for only half the reholder fee and he still turned you down.

I would neg the bejesus out of him.......if you've made every attempt to solve the problem,and imho, offering to split the cost is the best way to do it, and him still refusing.....neg him.