• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Iron Man 1 - Any resto experts out there? See my question on pg 2.

23 posts in this topic

Nice book I just picked up. Hoping to upgrade my current copy.

Couple pressable defects. The corners do not have color breaking creases, it is light reflected from the scanner. Should press out I would think.

The big spine tick is really the only one. The right edge has a very small color breaking crease between the two pieces of debris. Bottom edge as very minor wear that shows up more in the scan than in hand.

ironman1.jpg

ironman1b.jpg

really nice front..back brings it down though...

I'd say you have an 8.5

The dirt or the top left corner on the back (or something else I missed)?

I think it's the dirt and the staple stress as well. I own a 9.2 and the back is clean. I think it would get 8.5 with a good shot at 9.0 if the press helps those corners.

Also looks like the top back corner is was creased.

Great looking book!

Can any trimming experts take a look at the zoom in scans? Someone PM'd me and mentioned the edge looked weird to them.

The previous owner claims he has had it since the 80's and I believe him but I don't know him so my beliefs don't mean much.

When I looked at the book, I checked for CT and didn't see anything obvious. Held the books up to the light and looked through the cover. Didn't see anything.

Also looked at the edges and didn't think it looked trimmed, but all of that said I am not a resto expert.

I would appreciate any expert eyes. I am taking it to someone to look at in person this weekend, so that should help as well.

Can any trimming experts take a look at the zoom in scans? Someone PM'd me and mentioned the edge looked weird to them.

The previous owner claims he has had it since the 80's and I believe him but I don't know him so my beliefs don't mean much.

When I looked at the book, I checked for CT and didn't see anything obvious. Held the books up to the light and looked through the cover. Didn't see anything.

Also looked at the edges and didn't think it looked trimmed, but all of that said I am not a resto expert.

I would appreciate any expert eyes. I am taking it to someone to look at in person this weekend, so that should help as well.

Trimming is somewhat difficult to check for especially in a scan. The right side has some things that could possibly say it was trimmed especially looking at the back side. However it is important to mention that this book is notorious for miscuts. I owned a CGC blue label 9.2 from the western penn pedigree that looked almost wavy. A discussion with Steve Borock he assured me it had not been trimmed.

The right edge check:

hold the book up so you can look at all the interior pages looking at them from the bottom or the top and look along the right edge. The paper that makes up the interior when folded should form a pyramid shape with the front and back cover like book ends.

If your pages are straight across it has been trimmed.

Top and bottom edge check:

Looking at either the top or the bottom, you are looking for a difference in color of the paper from other edges. Specifically the paper that doesn't have the ink on it if you understand. This book is from 1968 and should show some "age" on the outside edges of the paper. However if you trim the paper you are now exposing "fresh" paper to the elements.

The best way to discover for yourself what I am talking about is to grab a beater book you don't care about and do some trimming experiments of your own to see the results. Using a straight edge and an Xacto blade to cut the cover off partially. Then cut only interior pages partially, etc. so you have differing edges to compare against.