• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hammer slammer! Any landers in the CLink (May auction)?

133 posts in this topic

[font:Times New Roman]Congratulations to all the winners! (thumbs u

Lot's of bargains this auction, if you ask me.

Won only one book myself, but can't complain...

RADA5AA42013322_171630.jpg

I'll post my own scans shortly after I have this puppy in hand.

I like the strong colors, registration and cut of this copy, especially the FC.

Since CLink didn't provide a BC scan I tracked this book back through earlier Heritage auction lots, discovering an even dust shadow along the left edge of the BC that doesn't compromise any of the art. Although dust shadows aren't desirable it wasn't enough to stop me from pulling the trigger.

Some of these high grade copies of DBH apparently have provenance stretching back to the Edgar Rice Burroughs estate through some sort of payment arrangement the author had with Lev Gleason. So far, I haven't found evidence to support that assertion, but it sounds credible. M'thinks having an ERB estate notation somewhere on the label would trump Nicholas Cage. :grin:

High grade ERB estate books appear to have similar PQ and dust shadows to varying degrees. My under-copy probably comes from the same run as the 9.4 copy. In fact, I may have located a unique identifier. More on that later.

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7013&lotNo=91109#50715071778

It's late and I need to log some zzz's before packing for the Houston Comicpalooza trek.

Night all! zzz [/font]

Great book! One of my favourites. It does have nice registration, no part of the R cut off and the full Woodro name at the bottom. Just a few things I've noticed on other copies.

this cool billy wright ray cover was going just too cheap to not snipe; my last win of the auction---i'm tapped out.

smash15.jpg

I had the same thought and was the underbidder. That's a great looking copy.

YAY!!! got my #1 target in this auction.

mmen2.jpg

Congrats! That's just a great looking book. Somewhere down the road I'm going to have to start collecting these.

Richard does it really cost that much to upgrade? [i have no idea]. Reason I ask is that WorldWide for example has a great site and they are only a two man [now one?] operation. I think if they did a few minor upgrades at Comiclink like the payment processing would go a long way to improving the customer experience.

Having looked into the possibility of doing a top line auction site with all of the features that you guys request (archiving, watch lists, enlargeable front and back scans, interactive customizable customer profiles, etc.), with a nice design and easy navigation would run $200,000 at a minimum. Something like Heritage, with live video feeds, and real-time bid buttons runs considerably more. Then add in the costs and/or lost revenue related to down time and all of the data entry for the reload and relaunch and you are talking about even more money. Then add in all of the technical support costs. Yep, it is a significant amount of loot.

WorldWide's site was created as a static sales site. The design is great, and it is easy to use. But it does not have all of the functionality of an auction site. The numbers I quoted above were given to me by the same guy who consulted with Matt and Steve on their WorldWide and Comic Pedigree sites.

Sorry to jump into this particular discussion late, but I have been a professional e-commerce web developer for over ten years and have built many sites both large and small and there is nothing that would bring the development total for ComicLink even remotely close to $200k. Nothing.

I realize there are probably a lot of legacy process and code in place but think about that number rationally. Even if they paid an hourly of $100 (which for a project this size is high) a $200k contract equates to 2000 hours or nearly a year of development.

Any company pitching 2000 hours on a project like this should not be considered. Speaking from years of experience, something like this would not cost more than $50k tops. Graphic design included.

Not attacking or defending their decision to not upgrade in any way. Just making a point. Websites are not nearly that expensive and if anyone is receiving quotes like that, they should be shopping around.

On a side note, I lost out on everything I bid on. :sorry:

The restored All Star 3 went pretty cheap. ($3000)

Good news! That means I might be able to afford one. :acclaim:

What were the particulars on this copy?

6.0 Moderate with a married centerfold

Here are my wins tonight:

RADD9576201358_185112.jpg

great stuff. this is an unlabeled rockford, huh?

That's what I thought too. (shrug)

Edit: Ok, I guess everyone has confirmed it. Just a labeling error from CGC?

mmen2.jpg

Congrats! That's just a great looking book. Somewhere down the road I'm going to have to start collecting these.

no question, after my s/h timely run, the fox-thru-7/40 run is the fave part of my collection. you will have a blast, but patience will be a necessity as well as a virtue, and some are not possible in grade.

mmen2.jpg

no question, after my s/h timely run, the fox-thru-7/40 run is the fave part of my collection. you will have a blast, but patience will be a virtue, and some are not possible in grade.

They are foxy books, to be sure.