• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stickers on comic books

26 posts in this topic

If discoloration is involved (or suspected), you are best leaving the sticker in place, and living with it. There is nothing worse than sticker "fade" or vice versa.

I felt the opposite - I didn't like this big obtrusive sticker on my book (right over the original price), so I peeled it off. Granted, the discoloration isn't a whole lot better, but I'd rather see the book in it's original glory.

As for getting a Q grade, I am curious. If I have a FN book with a sticker on it, and I take the sticker off and it leaves a discoloration, couldn't it be feasible that it's still a FN assuming that discoloration is something already considered in that grade?

If discoloration is involved (or suspected), you are best leaving the sticker in place, and living with it. There is nothing worse than sticker "fade" or vice versa.

I felt the opposite - I didn't like this big obtrusive sticker on my book (right over the original price), so I peeled it off. Granted, the discoloration isn't a whole lot better, but I'd rather see the book in it's original glory.

As for getting a Q grade, I am curious. If I have a FN book with a sticker on it, and I take the sticker off and it leaves a discoloration, couldn't it be feasible that it's still a FN assuming that discoloration is something already considered in that grade?

I would be surprised to see a book in a GLOD just because of some sticker residue. That said, I've always found what does and doesn't merit a GLOD pretty unclear.

I'd like to redirect this question some. Does anyone know how CGC considers this in grading? Comics sold at Bus Stations, airports and sometimes tourist type shops often stuck price stickers over the actual cover price. 15 cent sticker on 12 cent comics for instance.

This was part of the normal distribution of comcs, done routinely by specific types of stores. CGC is usually rather forgiving of defects related to production and distribution. An example of "forgivenes" being the star stamp put on most comics sold on military bases. I've never seen a PX copy that appeared to be graded down for the star stamp.

Removing the stickers is often times possible - but with really old stickers you sometimes have some staining underneath so are better off - apearance wise - leaving the sticker on.

Anyone know of how CGC tends to grade this?

With the sticker on you will receive a qualified grade.

Apparently, if the grade is high enough, you will get a Green label:

G6-1.jpg

G6-2.jpg

I would be surprised to see a book in a GLOD just because of some sticker residue. That said, I've always found what does and doesn't merit a GLOD pretty unclear.

If only it was more tomato red like the rest of the red on the cover.

GL80cgc96Q_zps24e7d4f0.jpg

Interesting. I would guess if you peeled it off, you would get a drop in grade but a blue label.

Interesting. I would guess if you peeled it off, you would get a drop in grade but a blue label.

That's what I was thinking - so you're almost better off (from a resale standpoint) to carefull peel the sticker off and live with the discoloration than get a GLOD.