• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Mutants Annual #2/Psylocke Appreciation Thread

173 posts in this topic

Recently, sold a New Mutants Annual #2 and the back and forth that ensued about Psylocke seemed worthy of its own thread. Hell, even if nobody wants to talk about her I still have an excuse for posting covers :grin: . Here we go....

Uncanny X-Force #1 Campbell Variant

Scan-130522-0009_zps0f548b10.jpg

X-Men 510 Campbell Variant (thanks Paul)

KGrHqZrFEz9G5l1EBRiZvjokCQ60_57_zps63650232.jpg

X-Men 256 Dont understand why this book isnt worth more. Its the first appearance of Psylocke in her current form...

Scan-130523-0001_zps8b765956.jpg

Finally, to all of the 11 people out there with 9.8 NMA #2's feel free to post pics of it so the rest of us can droooooooooooooooool :D

Not sure if she's worth her own thread but those books are the bomb! :applause:
There must be some kind of popularity growing when NMA 2's are selling at NM 98 prices in 9.8. I dig her. I think she's worthy of her own thread.

Recently, sold a New Mutants Annual #2 and the back and forth that ensued about Psylocke seemed worthy of its own thread. Hell, even if nobody wants to talk about her I still have an excuse for posting covers :grin: . Here we go....

Uncanny X-Force #1 Campbell Variant

Scan-130522-0009_zps0f548b10.jpg

X-Men 510 Campbell Variant (thanks Paul)

KGrHqZrFEz9G5l1EBRiZvjokCQ60_57_zps63650232.jpg

X-Men 256 Dont understand why this book isnt worth more. Its the first appearance of Psylocke in her current form...

Scan-130523-0001_zps8b765956.jpg

Finally, to all of the 11 people out there with 9.8 NMA #2's feel free to post pics of it so the rest of us can droooooooooooooooool :D

That Campbell cover is now one of my favorites. ^^

I love Psylocke but the post-Jim Lee version looks like a b-movie Asian actress = :sick:

FTFY - only rugs are allowed to be called "Oriental" now. Learned this the hard way, myself... :(

-slym

Or....if your grandmother says it. Crazy old folks. They mean well, but some things never change.

I love Psylocke but the post-Jim Lee version looks like a b-movie Asian actress = :sick:

FTFY - only rugs are allowed to be called "Oriental" now. Learned this the hard way, myself... :(

Or....if your grandmother says it. Crazy old folks. They mean well, but some things never change.

My grandma was a little bit racist.

Damn Southerners...

:grin:

-slym

I like psylocke, but the creative team on the new uncanny x force isn't doing her justice in my opinion. Not really sure she can carry a title as the marquee mutant either.

Could also be that I'm just bitter that the old Uncanny X Force was cancelled.

Is New Mutants Annual #2 being over-hyped?

I ask because I just read through my copy of this book. It was good. Great artwork. But not the Psylocke that comes about until later in the Uncanny X-Men books. Even with her early Sabretooth engagement during the Marauders issues, there wasn't that WOW factor yet with this character.

But once she was transformed into something much deadlier in the UXM 255-256 issues, now you had a character to watch out for. And these four issues especially were landmark issues,

---------------------------------------------

2621926-uncanny_x_men__1963__255.jpeg

Freedom Force arrives at Muir Island and help stop the Reavers' attack, but Destiny and Stonewall are killed in action. Forge decides to help Banshee find the missing X-Men. Psylocke reappears in China, captured by the Hand. Storm is on the run from Inspector Reisz, the vessel of the Shadow King.

1598025-uncanny_x_men__1963__256_cgc_9.4.jpg

In Hong Kong, Matsuo Tsurayaba approaches the Mandarin with an offer of an alliance between his organization and the Hand, a ruthless clan of assassins. Matsuo's deal is for the Hand to help the Mandarin build an empire unparalleled by any in the past, in exchange for gainful employment in its service. To begin their alliance, Matsuo offers a gift; that of an ultimate assassin. This assassin is the long missing Psylocke, who has emerged from the Siege Perilous amnesiac and found by the Hand.

1596252-5315331530_83478a37cf_b.jpg

Wolverine is attacked by the Hand on the ship that brought him and Jubilee to Hong Kong. Lady Mandarin uses Jubilee (through mind control) to distract Wolverine. They fight, with Wolverine shattering her helmet. He recognizes Lady Mandarin as Psylocke and pauses. She drives a psychic blade into his head and renders him unconscious. She is ecstatic that she has captured one of the Hand's greatest enemies.

1868174-uncanny_x_men__1963__258d.jpeg

Psylocke is still fiddling with Wolverine's mind, showing him phantom versions of Jean Grey, Mariko Yashida, and Yukio. Wolverine defeats her in pyschic combat, and breaks free from the cage. After defeating him once more, Psylocke presents him to Mandarin, but Jubilee manages to get free. Psylocke reveals that it was all a ruse, and her and Jubilee attack Mandarin. With the help of Wolverine, all three of them defeat Mandarin and get on a ship, sailing to an unknown location. Psylocke reveals her story as well.

---------------------------------------------

These seem to be the books where the character became what we all appreciate now. Matter of fact, now that I posted all this, I need to go back and read these again.

Good times!