• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Mutants Annual #2/Psylocke Appreciation Thread

173 posts in this topic

Thanks: I have the full run of Captan Britain Vol. 2, I was asking as I am missing a few issues of the Mighty World of Marvel, which was the in-between home for the CB stories before the second series.

Yes, what’s more intriguing is also that I don’t think Davis and Claremont precisely planned the thing the way they ended up happening in NM Annual #2. If you check the inside back cover of v2 #14, the final issue of the series, you’ll see that a US Captain Britain comic was under discussion, almost planned, but it took about two years to see it realized, and in the end it became Excalibur. The in-between stories where Betsy is featured, like New Mutants and other titles, it

shows Marvel and the authors were seeking a good formula, but creatively and while working rather than "at the table". That’s great! (thumbs u

Thanks. I have Captain Britain (Vol 2) #8 and 13 at CGC being graded believe it or not. Both very nice copies. Meggan is on the cover of #8 and Captain Britain (Betsy Braddock) is on the cover of #13. I also have #2 ungraded (VF+).

I think the Alan Davis art is cool as well as the stories. Its also interesting how the stories are the beginning of Betsy Braddock becoming a super-hero and getting blinded (as she heads towards eventually becoming Psylocke).

:eek:

Finally I got my NM Annual #2 so… the progression! :whee:

Captain Britain v2 #13: Betsy takes the mantle of Captain Britain, is injured and is deprived of her sight by the villain Slaymaster.

Captain Britain v2 #14: Brian finds out Betsy’s condition, pursues Slaymaster and, enraged, KILLS him. :eek:

(This issue has an inside back cover ad announcing the launch of an american Captain Britain series the following year – that, two years after – would have become in fact Excalibur).

New Mutants Annual #2: Betsy is kidnapped (again?) by Mojo which restored her eyesight and takes control of her mind. The joined forces of the New Mutants (especially Cypher and Warlock) and Captain Britain manage to set her free and save the earth from Mojo's menace.

AUQULsgh.jpg

muRBHMKh.jpg

fMw8pksh.jpg

What is a "Golden State Pedigree" (sticker, not CGC noted)?? Can someone wiser than me help out here?

I believe Golden State comes strictly from World Wide Comics.

WWC Site

Instead of the CGC label noting this, it ends up with a sticker from WWC because it is not a recognized pedigree by Sarasota. But I could be wrong.

http://www.wwcomics.com/

The Golden State collection was amassed by a meticulous collector residing in the San Francisco area who carefully filed away his newsstand copies each month. The core of the collection ranged from the early 60s to present, but also included a very impressive run of Golden Age as well.

The owner finally decided to part with the Golden and Silver Age portions of his collection in the early 90s, and much of it entered the market through a national dealer. Unfortunately much of the Silver Age was never documented as the Golden State collection, although one can still find random CGC graded issues floating about. The average grade of this period was 9.4 - 9.6, truly amazing books.

Fast forward to 2008; The original owner has finally decided to sell the remainder of his collection, which consists of late Bronze Age to present. WWC is proud to offer this last section of the Golden States to collectors starting this week. Just about every single title and issue from Marvel, DC and most 80s independents are there, with the vast majority grading CGC 9.8. WWC will be releasing over 5,000 CGC graded Golden States throughout the rest of 2009 and early 2010. Each book will display a Golden State sticker on the CGC case. Grab your want lists and hold on!