• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comiclink comments?

93 posts in this topic

I was looking at a few pieces of art from my childhood memories, but the ones I was looking at went for strong prices. Any opinions on the Ernie Chan Batman #282 at $9100., is this considered a strong price, undervalued or just right for what it is?

I was watching that one as well. I thought it was a pretty strong price. I expected more in the $6k to $7k range.

Not Chan's best Batman effort IMO, 9K seemed steep.

Also thought that Bats 282 went for a lot more than expected. Not exactly an iconic cover...heck, even the cataloguer described it's best point as "what has to be one of the largest Batman figures on any cover of the era". I did not expect it breaking $6k, and gave it maybe the outside chance of breaking $7k.

Maybe this kind of auction result will flush out some other Bats covers from the '70s. I can at least hope that is the case.

The interior page for Bats 205 went for a fair $450 I thought. Good villain panels but no action, couple Robin shots, but with a premium for the age of the page. Fair, not cheap and not obscene.

Thoughts?

Carl Burgos TTA pages with Antman and Wasp went for $855 + 900, respectively. I thought they went cheap.

Buscema Silver Surfer Judgement Day splash = $9.6K

Coipel House of M cover = $6.7K. I thought it was a strong result

Colan TOS 75 splash = $18.5K. Is this a strong result or just about right?

Colan Tomb of Dracula 24p2 (pencils only) = $2.65K. Wow!

Cooke New Frontier 4p29 = $2.55. I thought this was a strong result

Gibbons Watchmen 7p21 = $13.6K

McFarlane ASM 328p11 = $8.1K. Low, compared to the 328 page that sold on HA

Romita Jr ASM 25p11 = 5.1K. Wow!

Severin Subby 65 Everett tribute = $10K. Wow!

Trimpe Marvel Treasury #5 Hulk back cover = $8.8K

I know it's not on everyone's radar ... but I was surprised by how well the O'Barr art did. I thought I might get a steal, but they shot up quickly at the end.

I was watching the pin up piece for the 2003 fan club card set - I was surprised that hit $500, being a newer piece and pushing the definition of 'published'. I was looking for a $350 steal on that one.

I thought the CLink auction was rather similar to the Heritage one that just ended. Prices for coveted pieces chugged along, and the less impressive pieces had trouble catching their bids. Over the last 18 months or so, pretty much everything managed to maintain, if not increase, it's value. This auction season broke that trend.

As far as what that means, your guess is as good as mine. It could be that more people are saving up for the big pieces by passing cheap pages that they would have once chased. But my best guess is that many mid to low budget collectors are running out of money to spend, and the less popular pages are losing their collector base.

I thought the FF #23 splash was reasonable, if not cheap, at 48k. I've seen a lot of early FF stuff move at ridiculous prices lately, so I thought this page would go higher that that. CLink recently sold the splash to #20 for about 65k, if I recall correctly.

I was very impressed with the results for the TOS #75 splash, Cap #212 cover, and the Subby #1 recreation. I guess the Sub-Mariner's hot now?

When people tier, what do you consider the tiers?

I ask because I think these terms have a lot of variance.

Low end <1k

Mid >1k to 10k

High 10k+

That's what I think, but I am pretty sure some people don't think "high end" until something is around the 15-20k range

When people tier, what do you consider the tiers?

I ask because I think these terms have a lot of variance.

Low end <1k

Mid >1k to 10k

High 10k+

That's what I think, but I am pretty sure some people don't think "high end" until something is around the 15-20k range

For me, I'd tier as follows:

Low end < 5K

Mid 5K - 25K

High 25K+

Your mileage may vary

It could be that more people are saving up for the big pieces by passing cheap pages that they would have once chased. But my best guess is that many mid to low budget collectors are running out of money to spend, and the less popular pages are losing their collector base.

I could not agree more : it seems there's a focus on A+ pieces and a huge price difference now between those "perfect pages" and average ones of the classic runs. Most collectors want just 1 great example. Considering the prices of comic art now, I certainly understand and share this thinking : we can't afford to buy many pages. It also seems to be the smart thing to do as the value of those A+ pieces tend to keep increasing.

I could not agree more : it seems there's a focus on A+ pieces and a huge price difference now between those "perfect pages" and average ones of the classic runs. Most collectors want just 1 great example. Considering the prices of comic art now, I certainly understand and share this thinking : we can't afford to buy many pages. It also seems to be the smart thing to do as the value of those A+ pieces tend to keep increasing.

I was talking about this with another long-time collector recently. With prices where they are these days, most new collectors do not have ambitions of creating a broad and deep collection as in the past - they are targeting fewer pieces and are willing to pay up (re: overpay) to get them.

That said, I think a lot of these "A+" pieces you describe are really, A, A- and sometimes even B+ level pieces - I guess we're all grading on a curve somewhat regarding the material that comes up for public sale. I don't know that there were any true A+ quality pieces in this past auction cycle - that's a designation that should rightly be reserved for the true creme de la creme.

I agree : what makes an A+ is definitely different for everyone, mostly depending on their budget.

For me, the Byrne X-Men page that sold last week for 30k on Heritage is an A+ = a perfect panel page for many. For others it would be the #137 page that sold for 65k, for others again, it would be a Byrne X-Men cover, etc.

What's the accepted premium for the large art Romita pages? How much would those pages have gone for if they were standard sized?

I was surprised by the romita's, i really had no idea what they would go for but a leiber panel page also went for the same price.

I agree : what makes an A+ is definitely different for everyone, mostly depending on their budget.

For me, the Byrne X-Men page that sold last week for 30k on Heritage is an A+ = a perfect panel page for many. For others it would be the #137 page that sold for 65k, for others again, it would be a Byrne X-Men cover, etc.

I get that, and it's difficult to have a "real" discussion when everyone's using the same terms, but it means something different to each individual....

Or much less for me to follow along at home....

A Larry Lieber Spider-Man panel page for 5300!?!??!

If you speak with Romita Sr. he'll tell you that he worked on every page of that book. And his hand is very evident in two key panels.

Also it's got action and pivotal story,

Pages from the same period, with an equal or lesser amount of Romita (with Heck doing Lieber's chores) sell for a lot more.

I was talking about this with another long-time collector recently. With prices where they are these days, most new collectors do not have ambitions of creating a broad and deep collection as in the past - they are targeting fewer pieces and are willing to pay up (re: overpay) to get them.

Not too surprising I suppose as that's what's been going on in comics for years - the run up in value of key comics vs non-key has been pretty huge. Interesting to see it at work in art though. I know that I am in this boat myself - my art collecting interests are mostly outside of comic oa but there is one type of piece by one artist that I'd really like to add one day, and I just keep passing over ones I'm not happy with hoping to find that perfect one and prepared to pay more for it.