• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comiclink comments?

93 posts in this topic

I bid on the Colan pencils. I figured for sure they would go for less than $1k. Still, I hedged my bets and put in an agressive bid of nearly $1500 thinking it would be a lock. More fool me. But there was no way I was going to pay the crazy money this sold for. I bought a gorgeous Bronze Age Colan pencil page (albeit from the one-shot Meteor movie tie-in) a few years back for $100. It was, IMHO, nicer than the TOD page.

$1500?! What are you, nuts? Those pencils are YOURS, guaranteed, 100 per ce-- Oh, wait. (shrug)

10K used to be high end. Not so much now.

lol...kind of like in the stock market. I've been in the business long enough to remember when $1 billion was considered large cap. Now it's practically small-cap.

OA Tiers:

Low-end: <$1K

Lower-end: $1-$5K

Lower mid-range: $5-$10K

Mid range: $10-$25K

Higher mid-range: $25-$35K

Lower high-end: $35-$50K

Mid high-end: $50-$100K

High high-end: $100-$200K

Super high-end: $200-$450K

Ultra high-end/"The Vacuum" Territory: $450K+

I move we collectively accept this breakdown for the near term, by which I mean 3 years.

Second?

Another surprise. I thought when Mitch had the pencil page for $600 it was a bit high. I guess Colan TOD pencil pages are in high demand, glad I already have one which is the page right after the one in clink.

lol...kind of like in the stock market. I've been in the business long enough to remember when $1 billion was considered large cap. Now it's practically small-cap.

OA Tiers:

I move we collectively accept this breakdown for the near term, by which I mean 3 years.

Second?

Seconded

Everett tribute by M. Severin- just met reserve at 10K. Am I the only one who thinks this was unlikely to sell? There were real Everett Subby pages for lower.

Yeah, I thought it was a "Reserve Not Met" for sure. Nice page, but only 1 person was willing to trip the reserve. Hope they really like the piece, because it'll probably sell at a loss the next time around.

One thing about this page though, it was a decent tribute to a Marvel founder. I don't recall anything comparable for Burgos, Heck, or even Kirby. Perhaps it was Marie's idea?

OA Tiers:

Second?

Seconded

I have no issue with this breakdown, but would like to point out that "good" art can be found at all levels. "A" art isn't limited to the high-end. Just a reminder in case anyone feels discouraged when looking at these numbers.

OA Tiers:

Second?

Seconded

I have no issue with this breakdown, but would like to point out that "good" art can be found at all levels. "A" art isn't limited to the high-end. Just a reminder in case anyone feels discouraged when looking at these numbers.

Yup, well said.

OA Tiers:

Second?

Seconded

Totally agree. Some of my all time favorite pieces were bought for under $1k.

Everett tribute by M. Severin- just met reserve at 10K. Am I the only one who thinks this was unlikely to sell? There were real Everett Subby pages for lower.

Yeah, I thought it was a "Reserve Not Met" for sure. Nice page, but only 1 person was willing to trip the reserve. Hope they really like the piece, because it'll probably sell at a loss the next time around.

One thing about this page though, it was a decent tribute to a Marvel founder. I don't recall anything comparable for Burgos, Heck, or even Kirby. Perhaps it was Marie's idea?

I agree 100% here. All art is obviously subjective, but that page is not only a great one of a kind piece (of course they all are) but that is a true piece of Marvel history.

OA Tiers:

Second?

Seconded

Indubitably! I just picked up an absolute Caniff grail in the lower part of Lower-End, I have several good Kirby pages in Low-End, a Frank King masterpiece from Low-Low End, etc, etc, etc.... in fact artistic quality isn't even the main driver of price, is it?

The Silver Surfer Judgement Day splash of $9600 is a shock. I picked up a splash with Silver Surfer from the same story back in Nov HA. he filled up 2/3 of the splash while this one SS was much smaller. Go figure.

Your page was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw how much the CLINK page closed for. I like yours a lot better.

OA Tiers:

Second?

Seconded

I take the most joy in finding lost or newly discovered gems in all price levels.

The Silver Surfer Judgement Day splash of $9600 is a shock. I picked up a splash with Silver Surfer from the same story back in Nov HA. he filled up 2/3 of the splash while this one SS was much smaller. Go figure.

Your page was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw how much the CLINK page closed for. I like yours a lot better.

That has to be a noob buy, because that price is just :screwy:

OA Tiers:

Second?

Seconded

Agreed on all counts. Even in this market, there is quality OA available at all price levels. Of course, you're not going to find a great Kirby FF page in the lower end tier, but you can, for example, get a great page of Warren art comfortably below $5K.

Takes 2 to noob

Takes 2 to noob

you stole my response ! :pullhair: