• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When character development takes a turn

18 posts in this topic

From reading the "Psylocke Appreciation Thread" I thought it was interesting to know about characters who's origins changes drastically from one creative team to the next and thought maybe we should start a thread dedicated to that idea. hm

So the whole Sabertooth story line in Wolverine #10 was pretty dang awesome but as time progressed, he was dumb-ed down more and more. I had always wondered why Wolverine was so scared of Sabertooth visiting him on his birthday and after reading the other thread where one of the writers had originally decided he was going to be the father of Wolverine, that whole story takes on a different meaning/tone. It makes it even more menacing and threatening than it originally was.

Instead he's just the older brother now.

Yeah. Imagine every year for your birthday you are looking over your shoulder to watch out for dear old dad.

:ohnoez:

Now that would have been cool as the back story why the birthday became such a tense event.

Don't get me started with Juggernaut. Should have stayed a villian.

He's not a villian now?

The Juggernaut's journey away from being a truly threatening villain really took a turn when Marvel tried to combine some of its characters with its then-newly-acquired Malibu line of characters. Juggernaut became one of The Exiles and has been just a big misunderstood tough guy ever since.

The use of Sabretooth as a heroic figure is just as tragic. That mostly happened in a different iteration of The Exiles, and I'm pretty sure it was the Age of Apocalypse version of Creed. Add it to the list of confusing character cash-grabs that have taken place. A book could be written about the character turns that have happened throughout the X-Men-related titles.

I just read the Juggernaut wiki summary. Wow! I have not read Modern X-Men books as I stopped at UXM 300. But man has Cain Marko been in an interesting ride.

While training his son Skaar, Bruce Banner bombs Juggernaut's house to initiate a confrontation between Skaar and the Juggernaut. Skaar manages to win his first fight by throwing the Juggernaut into open space, proving to his father that he has the ability to cunningly use his physical strength.

Bruce Banner bombed his house in order to pick a fight to test his son?

doh!

Venom and Robin.

Haven't kept up with Venom, but last I checked he wasn't Eddie Brock.

And I'm glad I missed Robin 4 (the girl) and 5 (Damian) entirely.

I'm okay with Robin 1-3, but please tell me Tim Drake ain't dead!

So the whole Sabertooth story line in Wolverine #10 was pretty dang awesome but as time progressed, he was dumb-ed down more and more. I had always wondered why Wolverine was so scared of Sabertooth visiting him on his birthday and after reading the other thread where one of the writers had originally decided he was going to be the father of Wolverine, that whole story takes on a different meaning/tone. It makes it even more menacing and threatening than it originally was.

Instead he's just the older brother now.

what other thread? link?

Venom and Robin.

I miss Eddie Brock as Venom to some extent but for whatever reason it just seemed like the writers could never get a good grasp on this character after Amazing Spider-Man #347. The best thing they could have done was give the suit to Flash Thompson which has developed into some pretty good stories. The whole scorpion thing was just terrible! :P

Venom and Robin.

I miss Eddie Brock as Venom to some extent but for whatever reason it just seemed like the writers could never get a good grasp on this character after Amazing Spider-Man #347. The best thing they could have done was give the suit to Flash Thompson which has developed into some pretty good stories. The whole scorpion thing was just terrible! :P

When Venom got that popular Marvel couldn't help but try to rehabilitate him. You can't build a new empire around a villain who can only appear occasionally, so they needed to remake him along the lines of Punisher or Wolverine.

Venom and Robin.

Damian was an interesting Robin. Definitely a unique take on the character. My bet is he will return at some point because good characters never die in comics.