• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

selling your modern books on ebay...any alternatives?

28 posts in this topic

It feels like they are running a monopoly ( cause it is )..changing policies and fees whenever they want ( cause they can ) anyone have any really good alternatives...can I post this here?

You can really only sell modern books on here if they are slabbed. Occasionally you will sell a raw, but you will list a ton more than you actually sell. Everyone on here speculates, so if you found it at your LCS most likely they found it at their LCS also. I've been selling to mycomicshop.com in bulk.

You can really only sell modern books on here if they are slabbed. Occasionally you will sell a raw, but you will list a ton more than you actually sell. Everyone on here speculates, so if you found it at your LCS most likely they found it at their LCS also. I've been selling to mycomicshop.com in bulk.

I used to do that quite a bit and it worked great, if you want to put in the time/work for it. I live an hour from Arlington, so I would just drive my books to the warehouse once a month.

Well, I never did the "buy a collection" option. I always just put each one of my books in at a time and it will tell you whether they are buying it at that time or not and for how much. You can either take cash or credit.

So, right now I've got 83 comics they want to buy from me out of 643 I have listed. Those 83 books are worth $71 cash and $99 credit.

I also have 1 book on there that they are offering to consign for me.

Thats not entirely true. If you do the VCC you can sell quite a bit. I dont sell slabs and I do fine here when I sell. You gotta have been here awhile, have some feedback and develop relationships with buyers/sellers that get torched on ebay cuz they try to buy cheap. You cant come in here with a low post count and expect to sell alot. You also better know how to pack and ship comics or they wont buy from you again ever.

Now granted some only buy slabs and yes some on here are 100% speculators. They both buy from you if you have the books in the grade they are looking for. Some buy 2 one to read one to slab while the speculator wants bulk books at a cheaper rate. Buy cheap sell higher should be your motto. If you are just looking to sell moderns that you are reading keep in mind 95% of moderns will never sell for more then cover ever.

Also realize you need to develop relationships with other buyers/sellers on here. Its a mutual symbiotic relationship. I find a book for them they find a book for me so and so on. Some new sellers on here dont seem to think past their first sale and it kills them for selling more.

+1

If I have a raw I have a list of previous buyers that will usually take it before I even list it. But I have had several listings lately that I thought would go fast that never got any offers. These were also for titles like NWM, Uber, and other stuff people already have.

But for mycomicshop.com I just make a list of easy books to find at cons. They have a search that lists all the ones they are buying. Usually New 52 and newer Marvel since they are separate in dealers boxes from the rest. And comics I can make 50% profit on in a 9.4 grade I will buy. And they don't ship with bag and boards, so I don't ship to them with bag and boards. Batgirl #9, 13 and Batman #6, 7 have been my $$$ makers this way.

I cancelled my ebay account. They have turned into Skynet. I don't think I'll do mcs again but maybe.

Its not hard to sell raws here. The key is to have good scans. Its funny when people put up tiny little pics with no grades and then ask why there's no interest.

amazon sounds like a good idea.....theoretically I could list in both ebay and amazon...?

Yes, you could list on both at the same time, but what if someone buys your item on both at the same time? Then you've got a little problem.

It's tough to sell on here at times though unless you're first to market. Lots of smart boardies, so you're gonna have to take a 10% hit. That said, that would be going to eBay. At least you have some accountability in knowing who you're selling to on here. It's a great resource in that sense.

This is a great option I've been using alot lately. Mycomicshop gives pretty fair amounts for stuff as long as they need it. Sometimes they'll pay $5-10 for random 90s comics, that only fetch $10 on eBay (ex: Savage Dragon #0).

I've also started to consign to MCS. They charge 10% for anything under $299, 7% for anything from $300-$2999, and 4% for anything over that. The best thing is that they post your item on their website and eBay, and they pay you either with check or PayPal (your choice).

Anybody tried Comic Collector Live? I have been testing them out for the last few months and have been breaking even. I'm hoping that changes when I get more feedback under my belt, but I sometimes get the feeling that place is nothing more than the dumping ground for LCS's overstock.