• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Hot" Moderns Whose Value Has Plummeted The Most?

128 posts in this topic

...tanked like TSG/Revival @9.9

It's a bit unfair to say these two books tanked or are tanking. In my opinion, these books never should have reached close to four figure sales in the first place and the ones that went for that much reflect irrational speculators instead of the value of the books.

For Revival, you can't compare anything to how much Hulk44 bought the #1 9.9s for. Those prices are complete outliers and he completely overpaid.

For TSG, the #1 raw cost less than cover before the pilot announcement. Because of the increased visibility and the new readers from the possible TV show, the #1 9.8 now sells for at least $250 (without a TV show in place). I'd say the book is finding success rather than tanking. Speculators were absolutely nuts for ever buying the book for $800+ in the first place (and that's coming from as big of a fan of the series as there can be).

and $800 to $250 is the definition of tanking when you are asking about value not artistic merit

Did you read any of the rest I wrote :facepalm:

yes, who cares why it hit the heights it hit? tell the people that shelled out $900 that it hasn't tanked.

Because analysis of the numbers is just as important as the numbers themselves? It's silly to say Revival #1 in 9.9 was worth $1000 because of a couple sales to one person. It isn't tanking because it's now selling for what its real value has been all along (around $300).

The same can be said for TSG. At the peak of the speculative craze, which only lasted a few weeks or so, only a handful of people were crazy enough to shell out $900 for #1 in 9.8. Those people got caught up in the hype and completely overpaid. That doesn't mean the book is tanking now, it's just selling closer to what its actual value is (around $200).

I guess my definition of tanking is just different? For me, tanking would be a book that has consistently sold for a certain price and all of a sudden the bottom drops out. Like if TWD #1 suddenly started to sell for $100. To me, saying Revival or TSG is tanking by comparing current prices to a handful of sales prices in which a very small group of people completely lost their minds isn't fair or accurate. Just my 2 cents.

terrible artist to start book, very graphic material from get go, etc...

I wonder if they said that about TWD? I'll go on record as saying that TWD is equally as graphic as Bedlam.

(1) death of Glenn scene

(2) decapitation of the girls in the prison

(3) Carl getting shot in the face

I could go on... Just sayin'

In the first issue?

I wonder if they said that about TWD? I'll go on record as saying that TWD is equally as graphic as Bedlam.

(1) death of Glenn scene

In the first issue?

But people pick up Bedlam knowing what they're getting into - a reformed serial killer/super criminal... I don't think anyone is surprised to find graphic material. :eyeroll:

(1) death of Glenn scene

In the first issue?

But people pick up Bedlam knowing what they're getting into - a reformed serial killer/super criminal... I don't think anyone is surprised to find graphic material. :eyeroll:

They're probably not surprised. It's more that many are not interested.

I hate to say it but I was turned off by the first issues violence. Not that I can't handle it but that it was done poorly to me. I felt like it was just for shock value. The art also got me and finally I've heard it mentioned before but too many variants I didn't know which one to "chase". There needs to be one regular cover and one super rare cover to issues one. Like Saga!

I hate to say it but I was turned off by the first issues violence. Not that I can't handle it but that it was done poorly to me. I felt like it was just for shock value. The art also got me and finally I've heard it mentioned before but too many variants I didn't know which one to "chase". There needs to be one regular cover and one super rare cover to issues one. Like Saga!

-1 and +1 ... I completely agree with the variants issue! Wayyy too many variants! I mean what is the real "chase" book... hm sketch? Unsigned Forbidden Planet?

However, I'm starting to really feel like I'm in the minority here...I'm starting to worry that I'm :screwy: I liked the violence and shocking nature of issue one! Really showed just HOW sick, twisted, ruthless and vile Madder Red was! Absolutely shocking! There is no way he's going to kill that little girl - and he does! :o AND even quips about it! You're supposed to be shocked! Isn't that the whole point? To evoke emotions and be turned off by the character!? So you walk the grey area whether you even like Fillmore Press or not!?

I don't buy the "violence is a turn off" theory. Some of the most popular shows on TV are also the most violent.

Don't take my word for it. Several boardies have stated this inpression over the past several months. (shrug)

Yeah... I'm going to go re-read Bedlam #1 right now. And I did get a copy of the special edition variant from Sarfa that I totally dig (thumb u

Like it or not, that cover is cool.

Yeah, that was a great pickup! I remember when you snatched that one up right before me! ;)

And I like the different covers - just makes it extremely difficult on the wallet and do any of them ever really stand out in terms of value! I mean a Saga RRP is obvious. Which of the Bedlams is even close to that? (shrug)

I don't buy the "violence is a turn off" theory. Some of the most popular shows on TV are also the most violent.

Don't take my word for it. Several boardies have stated this inpression over the past several months. (shrug)

I have heard this argument, but from the same people that are walking dead fanboys... Just doesn't add up in my mind. It's like saying Jason movies are too violent coming from someone who is a Friday the 13th fan lol

Doesn't that fall under the different strokes sentiment then? I mean the Saw, Hostel, Friday the 13th, etc franchises were all about shock value and gratuitous violence and horror! That's partly what Bedlam is - a horror movie character brought to a comic book. And what if...we could reform that monster!?! What would happen??? That is precisely the story! So people should expect to be shocked and at times disturbed... But that also makes for such interesting story and character development to see all of the atrocities he did in his "previous life" and see if he can be good. Isn't that the whole catch phrase - "Is Evil just something you are or something you do?" I dunno - just my opinion and 2c I guess.

I know I'm crazy I see and read graphic images all the time but for some reason this one thing turned me off for some reason. It wasn't a deal killer but it was one of man things that got me.

So back to the original question. Did the Image bubble burst. To me it seems that way. i remember everything image did was gold the last year. Now it's slowing down. Did they come out with too much good stuff. Over speculating? I feel like TSG could have scared off some folks. I don't want to spend that much on a book that's a year old if it has a chance to drop that quick. I think Saga is the title that will make it. The readers are growing and has a large print run. The more fans the more demand. The others are a gamble...

Doesn't that fall under the different strokes sentiment then? I mean the Saw, Hostel, Friday the 13th, etc franchises were all about shock value and gratuitous violence and horror! That's partly what Bedlam is - a horror movie character brought to a comic book. And what if...we could reform that monster!?! What would happen??? That is precisely the story! So people should expect to be shocked and at times disturbed... But that also makes for such interesting story and character development to see all of the atrocities he did in his "previous life" and see if he can be good. Isn't that the whole catch phrase - "Is Evil just something you are or something you do?" I dunno - just my opinion and 2c I guess.

(thumbs u

I'm playing devil's advocate here more than anything.

I've kept reading the book, mainly for the story aspects you noted. However, it's impossible to say people haven't shied away from the content. They have flat-out stated so here. And, yes, I'd guess some are WD fans. My only theory here is that it may have been the presentation and context of the violence.

I think a lot of the pull-back has come from TSG not getting picked up. Everybody was SURE that the book was going to be picked up. Then, almost over night, everything dropped. I think "tanked" isn't the right way to describe it. "Corrected" is more like it.

The books were selling for too much to begin with. Once the few guys who were overpaying dropped off a book, then there wasn't anybody left to keep up the demand. Most of these books will remain popular, but they will probably never reach the heights that they once were.

As I said before, I think the whole thing was triggered by TSG not getting picked up. The speculators who thought they had a sure thing found out that there is no such thing as a sure thing and the corrections began.

A lot of these books are quality books. Revival, Saga, Thief of Thieves are some of the best books on the market. They may not climb as fast as they once did, but they will regain much of their value eventually. These gains will be the ones that stick because they will be more natural gains and not the speculator driven gains that a lot of these books saw previously.

As for Bedlam, I have been on this book from the beginning. I felt that the story has ground to a halt over the last few issues. I was letting the first arc finish up and am very close to dropping it. I am kind of interested in seeing what a new artist brings to the book because I felt that the first artist was just not very good.

The violence in the first issue? Totally not the same as other violent books on the market. I don't know how many other books have a little girl getting her throat slashed in issue one. or any issue at all for that matter. I can see how a lot of people who aren't turned off by violence normally could feel that there was a line that was crossed.

Also, the angel guy with no genitals? I spend half the book wondering how that guy goes to the bathroom rather than how nuts his mutilation really is.

I think the current time is also a large factor in the prices we are seeing for some of these books, as the weather becomes nicer and more people venture outside the less we see them on ebay and such. I believe there was a similar dip in the summer months of last year. Now would be a good time to buy certain books and hold them for a few months ( Chew # 1 CGC 9.8 SS by John and Rob) Sold @ $420, and yet a week after that sale a # 1 9.8 blue label sells for 500?

Sometimes its the time

Sometimes its the weather

Sometimes its the people, no need to fret.