• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Collection Mgmt Software

29 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I've finally decided to move from my Excel spreadsheets to actual comic collection management software. I recently bought Comic Collector Live at a Con, and after entering about 100 issues, I find it pretty underwhelming.

From my online research, Comicbase appears far superior (if more pricey).

Which do you use and/or recommend, and why? How do you manage your collection?

Thanks!

It's one of those things I don't want to pay extra money for. Spreadsheet is tedious but works fine. I used stashmycomics.com (free) for quite a while but stopped because I got lazy.

There is definite enjoyment in organizing and looking at what you have but it isn't something I want to pay a subscription to do.

I did purchase the comic collectors software from collectorz.com but what i did that was best was to scan every comic to my google drive (I had about 500 comics and took me a month doing 5-10 at a time here and there) and then make a spread sheet that I saved to google drive. now I can access my spread sheet and pictures of every comic from anywhere in the world. everything is in the cloud and its pretty much free. google gives you 5GB for free.

Hello all,

I've finally decided to move from my Excel spreadsheets to actual comic collection management software. I recently bought Comic Collector Live at a Con, and after entering about 100 issues, I find it pretty underwhelming.

From my online research, Comicbase appears far superior (if more pricey).

Which do you use and/or recommend, and why? How do you manage your collection?

Thanks!

Still on those good ole' Excel spreadsheets. lol

I also have an Excel sheet on Google drive.

I've thought about Collectorz.com; I like the fact that you can get a bar code scanner. I'd imagine that'd save a lot of the leg work I'm currently doing.

Nice to learn about Myslabbedcomics & Stashmycomics - I'll check them out, but on first attempt to import a small selection to SMC returning an error, I'm not too impressed..

Besides I've invested far too much time into my s/s, it has all sorts of built in 'features'...but its a bugger (and also a hobby in itself!) to keep updated.

Quick questions about Collectorz if someone doesn't mind.

Can you track the cost of an individual comic, meaning any comic, based on what you paid for it? I presume so since the pro version apparently provides the total value of a collection.

And going further, if you sell a book can you track that as well? I see that fields can be customized, but not sure if you can actually create a field, or if a field can even have a dollar format.

And lastly, does it organize multiple copies of the same issue? Say you had four ASM 300's, would it allow you to treat each as it's own entry?

For less than the price of getting two books slabbed it seems like a decent deal.

I use Excel currently, but it is becoming tedious especially with scans being involved. It'd be nice to have the info all in one place. Cooler yet, if I can distinguish between collected books and SS books that would be really nice. I had been kicking around trying to develop a database using MS Access, but I think it might be more than I bargained for.

Thanks in advance!

Can you track the cost of an individual comic, meaning any comic, based on what you paid for it? I presume so since the pro version apparently provides the total value of a collection.

If by "tracking" you mean recording the value you paid for any comic, then, yes - Collectorz has default fields for Purchase Price, Purchase Date and Current Value (but it's not tied into any automatic system, so it's not like the Current Value field gets updated by itself).

And going further, if you sell a book can you track that as well? I see that fields can be customized, but not sure if you can actually create a field, or if a field can even have a dollar format.

Books can be marked as "In Collection" or "For Sale" - for anything outside of that you can create your own custom tags. There are also a couple of user customizable fields that are blank by default.

And lastly, does it organize multiple copies of the same issue? Say you had four ASM 300's, would it allow you to treat each as it's own entry?

Yep, that's not a problem - you can either treat them as 1 entry (and simply set the quantity to 4) or create duplicates of the entry (which allows you to specify a different purchase price, condition, etc for each copy).

If by "tracking" you mean recording the value you paid for any comic, then, yes - Collectorz has default fields for Purchase Price, Purchase Date and Current Value (but it's not tied into any automatic system, so it's not like the Current Value field gets updated by itself).

Books can be marked as "In Collection" or "For Sale" - for anything outside of that you can create your own custom tags. There are also a couple of user customizable fields that are blank by default.

Yep, that's not a problem - you can either treat them as 1 entry (and simply set the quantity to 4) or create duplicates of the entry (which allows you to specify a different purchase price, condition, etc for each copy).

Input that greatly helps my decisions. Thanks! (thumbs u

Input that greatly helps my decisions. Thanks! (thumbs u

COLLECTORZ also allows you to upload your collection data to an online acct on their site so you can view it from anywhere you have internet access. You just can't edit the info until you get home to the comp with the program on it. You can upgrade this service that allows you to edit while online, but for me the convenience isn't worth the expense.

What didn't you like about Comic Collector? I use it and am happy with it.

I guess you mean me? and StashMyComics?

Well I don't mean to person_without_enough_empathy about it, I literally only just registered, so I think I'm just having teething problems. I'll take a deep breath, go away, and try again tomorrow when I've had less wine. ;)

If you really want to know....doubtful.. :)

• Failed to upload a sample Import (following all instructions)
  • I can't figure out how to have 2 separate entries for the same comic (with different grades, and sale prices)
  • Didn't display some of the issues (of Bats vol2.), the '0' issues, then when I returned to the page the 2nd time, they appeared. (just odd)

BUT .. I really like that it's FREE! :) and will persevere. Especially, if I can get an import to work, then I'll give it a go.