• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cartoon Art Museum San Francsico: Superman 75th Anniversary

32 posts in this topic

I think that about covers all of the artists bryan91 requested. More to come soon if there is a request for them.

Thank you very much. I love that DOS poster by Jurgens and Breeding. :cloud9:

Thanks for sharing the great pics! I'd love to see the Sam Kieth pieces if you have them.

+1 on the Kieth pieces if you have the pictures for them.

On topic, I love seeing the Superman art. Some really cool stuff there as well, and appreciate you taking the time to share.

Guest Grails
Thanks for sharing the great pics! I'd love to see the Sam Kieth pieces if you have them.

+1 on the Kieth pieces if you have the pictures for them.

Some can be seen here on Sam's blog.

maxx1copy.jpg

Those are high quality scans (ala the IDW art books) made of the originals from the Jerry Robinson collection, not the original pieces themselves. I talked with Andrew Farago who put together the exhibition. They did not want to take the risk of transporting the originals, among other things.

They do give you a good feel for the condition of the originals however. There is some damage you can see, especially on the Sup #14.

sDSC00383_zps03b6a7f2.jpg

Beginning of the exhibit. The Golden Age covers are reproductions, not originals.

No. Those are originals.

The two Fred Ray pieces are prints from scans of the originals. I am still on vacation. When I have time, we'll post more pics. For the Sam Kieth stuff, I might start a new thread on that time permitting.

As requested, here is John Byrne:

sDSC00284_zpsa8211f44.jpg

Man of Steel 1, John Byrne

sDSC00288_zpsc849ae7f.jpg

Man of Steel 2, John Byrne

sDSC00291_zps2829d4a9.jpg

Man of Steel 3, John Byrne

sDSC00294_zpse4875bd4.jpg

Man of Steel 4, John Byrne

sDSC00297_zpsdde4cad8.jpg

Man of Steel 5, John Byrne

sDSC00300_zps0d73d249.jpg

Man of Steel 6, John Byrne

As an added bonus, here is a non-Superman portion of the exhibit that is also by John Byrne:

sDSC00244_zps5910bc67.jpg

Alpha Flight 18, John Byrne & Bob Wiacek

I will post the Sam Kieth pics when I have time. Should I post in this thread or start a new one? I am thinking of keeping this thread but updating the title, or maybe an entirely new one so I can focus this on Superman's 75th anniversary. Let me know your thoughts.

I will post the Sam Kieth pics when I have time. Should I post in this thread or start a new one? I am thinking of keeping this thread but updating the title, or maybe an entirely new one so I can focus this on Superman's 75th anniversary. Let me know your thoughts.

I would say post a new thread since it would be for Kieth. But that's my 2c

Thanks for posting all of the Superman art though, Great stuff.

Later.

Saw this exhibition last week when I was in SF. Highlight for me in the Superman exhibit was David Mandel's Neal Adams Adventure 366 cover. Wow! The Kieth stuff was fantastic too. This place is a must see for any comic geek who makes it to the Bay Area.