• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collection just in - Pictures and a story

131 posts in this topic

Congratulations on picking this up. (thumbs u

But I always count myself lucky when those issues are there. Nothing worse than the collection that goes ASM 127, 128, 130 131 132 133 138 139.

When one sees this, is it a case of a collector who has sold the keys individually before they tried to sell the rest and/or who got cherry-picked when they first tried to move their stuff -- or is it a case of a collector who never got the keys to begin with (largely due to their higher price), and who may have put their collection together around them, buying the lesser-priced stuff to make their dollars stretch further? I wonder which is the more common scenario? hm

I would guess cherry picking by a previous dealer is the most likely scenario. Most dealers, naturally, want to buy stuff they think they can move quickly and leave the other stuff unless they can get it for next to nothing.

I love seeing these kinds of scores, even when its not me getting the goods. :acclaim: It's a lot of fun finding hauls like this and going home with them.

And remember people, when you find hauls like this, pull some books and do page counts. Nothing worse than going home and finding splash pages, centerfolds, or coupons missing from key books. It's easy to forget in the excitement of buying books.

Kudos to the buyer though, nice score. :acclaim:

The Batman #181 looks nice - grade?

I'm looking for an upgrade on my 7.5, just saying.... :whistle:

Actually just PM me if it is higher, and you would like to sell.

I love these threads - nice pick-up.

Got anther collection in, this one has a lovely story to it.

Guy calls that he has a huge collection, 1960s 1970s 1000's of comics. Boxes of 'em.

"OK, are you looking to sell the whole collection or just parts of it?"

What? The whole thing? Naaaw, that'd be like $60,000 or $70,000. Lets meet at Burger King and I'll bring 100 or so.

"OK, if you have any 60s Spiderman Batman or Xmen bring those and we can go from there."

A few days later before we meet.

Hey, I don't have that many Batman or Spiderman and no Xmen. Do you maybe want Jimmy Olsen or Superman?

"Sure, bring those"

At Burger King.

Shows up with a back pack. And did I mention that he has a teardrop tattoo....

About 40 Lois Lane and a few Batman 12 centers, then a bunch of 1990s supermans.

"Great how about $40 for everything?"

What? I thought you said these were worth $1000's. (I mentioned 1960s books can be worth $1 or even $1000 for the right book)

"Well these aren't the good ones." I get up to leave and in the end he takes the $40. I couldn't get out of there fast enough - at least it was at a public setting.

Comics are in the car, I'll take pics and post 'em tonight.

Good call on the public setting.

While my step daughter was looking for a car, I vetoed several Craig's List meetings. One of them even got mad at me, and sent her some angry texts.

Returning to topic, I love that collection. Good thing it was you, not me. I might have gotten carried away when I saw the Fantastic Fours!

hm Sounds like he maybe knew someone with a collection and nabbed a few titles he thought he could get away with. (shrug)

Anything is possible and with comic collections - everything is possible. My experience is that collections come in all flavors and sizes; rhymes and reasons. While we all keep our stuff nice and neat by title and number. Once a collection owner who doesn't know or care about what he has, it instantly gets cluttered in terms of being organized.

Theft is one option but so is trading for a vacuum cleaner, or death in the family, or simply pawn shop style "I need the money". Crazy stuff which makes it fun and interesting in its own right.

but so is trading for a vacuum cleaner, or death in the family, or simply pawn shop style "I need the money". Crazy stuff which makes it fun and interesting in its own right.
Too true. I ended up with a long run of Cerebus because someone wanted some Magic cards I had. You never know where comics are going to come from or where they're going to end up.

And completed. Pics tonight. Took a bit of a chance with AF 15 we'll see if it is trimmed. Either way I priced it at 1500 so I don't think I can go wrong.