• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collection just in - Pictures and a story

131 posts in this topic

Interesting story on a collection I bought a few months back.

Gentleman had 20 long boxes of mostly Moderns and some others.

Included:

Cry for Dawn 1-9 multiple copies and limiteds

Crow 1 2 4

Conan 1-250

Savage Sword 1-240

Image, Caliber, First, and various alternative books 8-10 long boxes

So we couldn't complete the deal at first, couldn't agree on price. I was probably low balling him but I don't like dealing in moderns and bulk comics. Plus I didn't know how well Crow and Cry for Dawn sold so I discounted those more than I should.

Anyway, he calls back a month later and agrees outright to my price. Great - I drive out to close the deal. I do a quick run through of the books and, low and behold, the 5 copies of Caliber Presents 1 (first Crow and a $50-100 book, times 5) are missing and there's a feel like other books are missing too, but the CFD were there as were the runs of Conans. So I tell him some are missing, he assures me that can't be. I reduce my offer and he hmmms and hawwwws but reluctantly agrees.

A great deal for me regardless so I was happy, though filtering through those long boxes was no fun.

Modern lots for sale (not a promotion but if interested to see what was there)

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=335268&Number=7563600#Post7563600

Conan's for sale

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=335723&Number=7574917#Post7574917

Cut to a few weeks ago. I'm checking out Craigslist and this is there.

http://york.craigslist.org/clt/4419563200.html

Quite a number of tip offs but the multiple copies of Caliber Presents 1 and 2 are the easy ID for me. Others also fit missing holes in the original purchase.

So I contact the craigslist guy and that was fun trying to set up a meeting. No phone number name or anything, and spotty replies via email. I had no intention of meeting with him but wanted to keep contact. Then I call and text the original owner and send him the craigslist link above.

Long story short, he got the police involved and was returned the comics. He called me up and, while he didn't honor our original agreement for buying the lot, I did pick these remaining books up for a reasonable price.

Man, collectibles bring out the weird, I'm here to tell you.......

And I love the $2200 price as listed. I'll take that if anyone is offering.

He said it was a contact of a friend, referral of sorts. He's heavy into coins and other antiques so I think he runs in circles of collectors.

Tomorrow morning I'll be looking at 3 different collections, we'll see if any work out.

1. Lady has 3 boxes from late 1960s to 1970s, indicators are they are well read but titles were spot on, Batman superman Hulk etc.

2. Guy is moving and is tired of shleping them around. Long box of Hulks from 102 on up. Of course 181 has already been sold. That's OK as long as the rest (1970s) are in the VF or above I'll be thrilled. He seemed more the collector type.

3. Another guy I bought from in the past. I was able to cherry pick from about 40 boxes into about 8 and in the confusion I missed transferring th every early 2000 AD's and I can't remember if it had the first judge dredd or not. He lives about 3 hours away so I couldn't justify a special trip but I was able to tie it into this one so hopefully this works out.

I love hearing the stories and finds. My favorite was the GL76 that sold for 20,000, and his was a beat up piece of spoon lol I haven't heard that in a while. It makes me want to start searching again.

"Yeah, I have really old comics, many with 12 and 15 covers." You ask for specifics, you get little feedback, but are intrigued. You go, and he has 3 beat up 12 centers, 5 15 centers, and 90's lovin.' You gotta love it though. The thrill of the hunt. Good luck with the upcoming collections.

One collection down two to go, so far so good. These were at a moving sale and out in the middle of everything with 10 folks milling around. . I was very worried others would start to show interest. But a great set of DC VGs from the early 70s about 200 or so.

Second collection ok. Couldn't agree on price for everything but got hulk 102-200 and left the newer ones for him. 271 was a fine anyway. Cap 100 was included. Again no 181. Disappointed that the rest of the 6 boxes were still in storage out of state.

Third one was a bust and DC traffic is god awful I'm sitting for an hour.

I am always a little doubtful when it comes to storage unit collections. They sometimes work out but always always always they have no idea what they have but they are convinced every box is full of 1960s and 1970s comics. And they never are.

This one, the guy just couldn't get to his unit today. Thanks though.

Worked out better than expected. ON the way down, guy (75 year old retired) told me he had more than expected, over 700 from the 1960s. Wonderful. I arrive and there are about 50 on the table.

"where are the rest?"

"In the basement, I couldn't get to the boxes"

"OK, I'll be glad to help you get them out, or I can wait"

"no, there are just too many boxes, we'll do it another time."

Great, so I'm miffed until I go through the 50 books he had, pretty much all FF's. Organized in 12 stacks by month (first time I've seen books sorted that way) Original owner, no bags boards etc. I had to bring them home in a plastic bag. Mostly G to VG anyway. Instant FF collection. Looking forward to him finding the rest.