• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What has CGCs recent tape decision done to the market?

42 posts in this topic

So I've perceived an uptick in sales of slabbed books with tape on them (here, ebay, elsewhere).

I've also perceived an uptick in the number of sales listings of raw books with detached covers.

And I've seen less interest than in the past for either of these books (they're getting offered, but not takers).

I know some people have always shied away from books with tape on them, but for the general buying public what's been the change in perspective, and is it related to the CGC policy change?

Is it that someone selling a CGC 5.0 with tape is not worth a CGC 5.0 price now, so the seller needs to drastically decrease their price down to what the book would grade at w/o the tape?

And are buyers far less interested in buying detached cover books since there is no value in taping the covers and subbing them for a grade bump by CGC?

Are dealers trying to get rid of their taped books and their raw books in need of tape due to the change in the CGC policy?

Im neither a dealer, nor a big buyer/seller, more just a curious onlooker. Maybe this topic will be a little to business strategy for some of the dealers to weigh in on, but for anyone comfortable sharing their perspective, what was the market impact on the CGC tape policy change? And is my perception of the market activity legit, or is this a case of when you buy a white car, you see more white cars on the road?

I appears to me that sellers that planed to one day tape and slab the books are selling raws to clear funds to go in other directions, sellers with taped slabs are hoping to sell before a full on market correction and buyers are waiting to see where the prices end up before buying.

Personally, I think these books will generally fall quite a bit until this issue blows over. I know I would be reluctant to purchase any book with tape that I intended to keep long term unless I could verify that the tape was archival. It just doesn't make sense to buy an expensive book and watch as over time the tape destroys the paper. (shrug)

I'm interested to see how it's handled from an ethical standpoint - is a book graded last year as a 3.0 with tape, still a 3.0 as long as it's in the slab? Will sellers discount it knowing that a resub would result in a lower grade? Will sellers ignore the new rule and consider their taped books 'grandfathered' in?

I was unaware of this new rule. Do you guys know how much tape would typically drop a grade? My AF 15 has tape on the inside cover and is only a 1.5 anyway, so would it drop to a 1.0 or worse, a .5?

I was unaware of this new rule. Do you guys know how much tape would typically drop a grade? My AF 15 has tape on the inside cover and is only a 1.5 anyway, so would it drop to a 1.0 or worse, a .5?
A 1.5 is a 1.5... tape didn't make that book a Fair 2c

I bumped it

It would only effect the grade significantly if the tape was holding the cover on.

I'm interested to see how it's handled from an ethical standpoint - is a book graded last year as a 3.0 with tape, still a 3.0 as long as it's in the slab? Will sellers discount it knowing that a resub would result in a lower grade? Will sellers ignore the new rule and consider their taped books 'grandfathered' in?

I think from CGC's point of view, the books are grandfathered in, but buyer's won't look at it that way. In my mind, those grades are now invalidated. There's just no way around that.

Some sellers won't discount taped books as a result of this decision. Others might try to dump the books for what they paid just so they don't take a loss.

I bumped it

It would only effect the grade significantly if the tape was holding the cover on.

Exactly. I have a book that I held up past the May 1 deadline that has tape along the spine holding it together. I wanted to get the grade accurately with the new rulings, so I am curious to see how it fares. I felt that (tape notwithstanding) it was around a 2.5 - so we'll see how much it drops with the new standards.

What about books submitted from this point on that receive a tape designation; will they be stigmatized by buyers who may not look into when the book was graded?

I think from CGC's point of view, the books are grandfathered in, but buyer's won't look at it that way. In my mind, those grades are now invalidated. There's just no way around that.

Some sellers won't discount taped books as a result of this decision. Others might try to dump the books for what they paid just so they don't take a loss.

It sounds like there will be quite a few ways of looking at it from the seller's point of view. And buyers are just going to have to educate themselves and navigate through it, I suppose.

Since CGC doesn't release dates for when books were subbed - is it going to be difficult down the line to figure out if a taped book was subbed before or after the May 1, 2013 deadline?

Or is there some way to determine serial numbers and submission dates? I have had no reason to wonder about that until now.

What about books submitted from this point on that receive a tape designation; will they be stigmatized by buyers who may not look into when the book was graded?

If tape doesn't bother a buyer, and they're aware of what's going on in the hobby enough to know CGC's change in policy, then I suspect they'll take the short amount of time needed to see when a taped book was graded.

It sounds like there will be quite a few ways of looking at it from the seller's point of view. And buyers are just going to have to educate themselves and navigate through it, I suppose.

Since CGC doesn't release dates for when books were subbed - is it going to be difficult down the line to figure out if a taped book was subbed before or after the May 1, 2013 deadline?

Or is there some way to determine serial numbers and submission dates? I have had no reason to wonder about that until now.

Members of the Collector's Society can look up submissions date on the Collector's Society site.

Members of the Collector's Society can look up submissions date on the Collector's Society site.

That's good to know! (thumbs u

Maybe they can put a green and black checked header on the taped book slabs.

SLOD!

Scotchtape Label Of Doom!

Actually this is a really good discussion and I'll put my AC 252 (from my sales thread) on the firing line.

Most likely I'll move the book to eBay tomorrow. I've had one offer but a bit less than what I have into it.

Anyways, how would you grade this book? It was graded prior to the May 1st announcement.

So is it a 3.5 or is it a 3.0?

Is it really a 2.5? :shrug:

I didn't submit the book so I can't say for certain what function (if any) the tape serves.

Action Comics 252

CGC 3.5

OFF WHITE to WHITE Pages

AC242-35_zps346ec96f.jpg

AC242-35bk_zpsdfc00850.jpg

That's a good question Hibou - I don't think we will have a clear picture to how books are hit for tape until we get people to show resubs, or in the case of my book - make educated guesses to what the book would have been before the tape ruling.

I think tape, whether interior or exterior and how much, is going to affect the grading. RIght now, it's probably a mystery how much because I don't think it's been long enough to really see the effect.

This is one of the growing pains CGC is going to experience tweaking their definitions of what is "restoration" and what isn't. I'm glad they did it, but there is definitely going to be some angry collectors out there who's book took a hit just for having tape, as well as some buyers who end up buying a taped book for a grade that is no longer accurate. But, I imagine time will tell how it affects grading.

Good points....

And just to add to the discussion, the AC 252 was graded on April 5th.

I forgot when the announcement was actually made but I'm sure it was in April.

I appears to me that sellers that planed to one day tape and slab the books are selling raws to clear funds to go in other directions, sellers with taped slabs are hoping to sell before a full on market correction and buyers are waiting to see where the prices end up before buying.

Personally, I think these books will generally fall quite a bit until this issue blows over. I know I would be reluctant to purchase any book with tape that I intended to keep long term unless I could verify that the tape was archival. It just doesn't make sense to buy an expensive book and watch as over time the tape destroys the paper. (shrug)

the problem I see with this is that GPA Cannot differentiate between taped and non taped books. so when books start falling it make show as a correction or fall on all comics