• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steve McNiven OA

31 posts in this topic

I'm sure he is busy with that many artists, he did respond very quickly and is going to contact the inker for me, I quite liked the directness of his comments "this page could cost 3-5k don't waste my time if you can't afford that " :roflmao:

He basically makes it almost impossible to browse like Romitaman and so many of the others but I guess if you know what you are looking for that works.

I'm not sure if some of the sites realize how impossible they are to navigate? I'm pretty sure they don't care!

Does he ever go to shows?

Hi there. I've known Spencer for quite a while and help him with art sales at his booth at the NY comicon and when I first read your quote of "this page could cost 3-5k don't waste my time if you can't afford that", something sounded off kilter to me. Spencer may be brusque, but he would not speak to someone like that.

Spencer does not represent the inker who has the piece you want, but is willing to get in touch with him as a favour to you. However, before he got in touch with John Dell, he wanted to ensure you were aware of the prices McNiven's more desirable pieces can command, otherwise, why bother John?

Regardless, the words you have in quotes as Spencer's response to you are not his exact words and casts a negative light on his attempt to help you. Perhaps you would be so kind to rectify the situation by posting Spencer's exact response to you and set set the record straight?

"this page could cost 3-5k don't waste my time if you can't afford that " :roflmao:

I've been interested in a few pieces on his site but passed because his rules read more like a lecture than instructions.

Reading that quote I'm glad I never gave him a dime.

No credit cards or paypal, if he accepted either I would have bought many pages from him over the years. His loss the way I look at it.

I'm sure he is busy with that many artists, he did respond very quickly and is going to contact the inker for me, I quite liked the directness of his comments "this page could cost 3-5k don't waste my time if you can't afford that " :roflmao:

He basically makes it almost impossible to browse like Romitaman and so many of the others but I guess if you know what you are looking for that works.

I'm not sure if some of the sites realize how impossible they are to navigate? I'm pretty sure they don't care!

Hi there. I've known Spencer for quite a while and help him with art sales at his booth at the NY comicon and when I first read your quote of "this page could cost 3-5k don't waste my time if you can't afford that", something sounded off kilter to me. Spencer may be brusque, but he would not speak to someone like that.

Spencer does not represent the inker who has the piece you want, but is willing to get in touch with him as a favour to you. However, before he got in touch with John Dell, he wanted to ensure you were aware of the prices McNiven's more desirable pieces can command, otherwise, why bother John?

Regardless, the words you have in quotes as Spencer's response to you are not his exact words and casts a negative light on his attempt to help you. Perhaps you would be so kind to rectify the situation by posting Spencer's exact response to you and set set the record straight?

hm

hm

Isn't posting excerpts from his emails against the rules as well? It seems like this is where all threads that mention his name eventually goes.

Well, Joe, there is a difference between an art DEALER like Romitaman and an ART REP like Spencer.

DEALERS own their inventory, every dollar is profit, something in the manner of several hundred percent profit on some pieces. That makes it awfully easy for dealers to have a real razzle dazzle website. ART REPS don't own the artwork, they are selling it for someone else and taking a percentage, sometimes as low as 10%, out of which they cover all the expenses of the site, scanning, legwork, and labor.

So it's not very fair to think this is apples to apples.

One other thing, that statement doesn't sound AT ALL like Spencer. You put it in quotes

"this page could cost 3-5k don't waste my time if you can't afford that "

Is that exactly what he said?

...there is a difference between an art DEALER like Romitaman and an ART REP like Spencer.

DEALERS own their inventory, every dollar is profit, something in the manner of several hundred percent profit on some pieces.

Not really unless you use the loosest form of "own" :wishluck: which would include consignments and line of credit purchases (technically an asset that's offset by the liability until paid back to the lender). Certainly there was seed money (in the form of personal collection turned inventory, and also actual cash) in the beginning, but now..unless Mike et al are interested in sharing their tax returns only the IRS and their accountants know for sure what's what.

Dear me,

Obviously some one alerted Spencer that he was being 'bad mouthed' and made to look bad on the boards.

I am really surprised that was how it was perceived, I thought I made it clear that I thought he was sensible in asking if that was the price range I could afford before he went making enquiries on my behalf.

I was also really greatfull that he would go the extra step to help out.

If you want me to post his exact email I can but I don't think that's necessarily right.

No that was not an exact quote but that was the essence of the message and yes it contained prices and waste our time (him and the artists) but not in a mean way at all. As I said this was a sensible thing to ask.

At no time did I think this was unreasonable and I certainly did not want to cause upset to someone that I have never met and was trying to help me out.

So I unreservedly apologize to Spencer and all those who took offense. As it turns out he tried but was unable to obtain the piece, thank you for trying, I hope to meet you at a show sometime.

Joe

I am not going to do that as his emails say not to quote from them or repost from them, so Im kind of in a hard place as I would not like to antagonize or upset him more.

but no, those were not his exact words, I was paraphrasing, I should not have used quotes

again, sorry for that.

Joe

I was paraphrasing, I should not have used quotes

Yep.

again, sorry for that.

- Joe

We all make mistakes. I'll bet that the improper use of quotations is one you won't make again. :)

I am not going to do that as his emails say not to quote from them or repost from them, so Im kind of in a hard place as I would not like to antagonize or upset him more.

but no, those were not his exact words, I was paraphrasing, I should not have used quotes

again, sorry for that.

Joe

It's all good. Sometimes written words hit different people different ways.

You're a straight shooter for coming on here and clearing the air. I know Spencer will appreciate it. Also, I agree with your perspective that clearing the air and setting the deal parameters upfront saves everyone from having time wasted.

One time I contacted an artist about a piece of art from long in the past, and we talked and talked while he dug the piece out over weeks and weeks. Then he found it....and wanted 10 times what I thought market value was. lol

I would have preferred to get an idea of price ahead of time then.

again, sorry for that.

Joe

Did someone really need to make a mountain out of a humorous side note. DocJoe did not bad mouth Spencer. Let's not pretend this conversation hasn't happened to everyone at some point or another as they inquired about artwork, or to sellers in his position, that's what makes it amusing. Joe's comment didn't cast Spencer is a bad light at all, that was the logical response before investing time and effort into tracking something down. My gosh people.