• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steve McNiven OA

31 posts in this topic

Anyone know if he sells or is represented by someone?

Have used The Google and the Interweb Super Highways but could not find an answer

Thanks

Joe

I can vouch for The Artist's Choice as a reliable source for ordering artwork, but the ordering process does require a bit of patience sometimes, so read the instructions on the process and know any delays in communication are not because you're being ignored nor scammed, it's the nature of the operations and you can have faith in the fact that once your order request is confirmed and once you've paid for it, you will receive it, and flawlessly at that. I've had dozens of transactions without any incidents.

I think The Artist's Choice is the exclusive dealer for Steve McNiven, representing him , so not just a dealer or retailer. In that way, you can be confident that you're getting the artwork at the lowest price possible since it's artist direct through the artist's representative, The Artist's Choice.

thanks, I saw that but it looks so super sketchy I was not sure!

Web design early 90's!

lol

He's one of the longest running, most establish, and trustworthy guys in the entire industry.

Don't be a tech-nist. lol

Word on the street is he charges the 90+ artists he represents a teeny tiny % for selling the artwork. So I gladly live with less techno-savvy-ness for the savings.

Spencer is the top shelf of the top rung on the top level.

You've got nothing to worry about.

I can vouch for The Artist's Choice as a reliable source for ordering artwork, but the ordering process does require a bit of patience sometimes, so read the instructions on the process and know any delays in communication are not because you're being ignored nor scammed, it's the nature of the operations and you can have faith in the fact that once your order request is confirmed and once you've paid for it, you will receive it, and flawlessly at that. I've had dozens of transactions without any incidents.

Ditto that. Communication is brusque and borderline rude but you get your art in the end.

I'm sure he is busy with that many artists, he did respond very quickly and is going to contact the inker for me, I quite liked the directness of his comments "this page could cost 3-5k don't waste my time if you can't afford that " :roflmao:

He basically makes it almost impossible to browse like Romitaman and so many of the others but I guess if you know what you are looking for that works.

I'm not sure if some of the sites realize how impossible they are to navigate? I'm pretty sure they don't care!

Does he ever go to shows?

"this page could cost 3-5k don't waste my time if you can't afford that " :roflmao:

I've been interested in a few pieces on his site but passed because his rules read more like a lecture than instructions.

Reading that quote I'm glad I never gave him a dime.

He basically makes it almost impossible to browse like Romitaman and so many of the others but I guess if you know what you are looking for that works.

I'm not sure if some of the sites realize how impossible they are to navigate? I'm pretty sure they don't care!

As long as people keep buying...

One has to assume there's good money in this stable of artists or else Spencer would fall by the wayside as so many others have over the years. Okay, not good enough to quit his day job (or maybe he does that out of love?) but good enough to 'invest' several thousand for a turn-key scenario that can be user updated gofo? As for gofo, there's language on there bemoaning the fact that scan requests are no longer being honored and there's thousands upon thousands of scans in backlog, e-mails will be answered whenever they are, no phone orders, etc. Would it be too much to grab a kid on the block, pay $10/hr cash for scanning/labeling (leave uploading/pricing to Spencer)? Would it be too much to ask the artists to take a slightly lower net to fund this in exchange for increased volume? This way Spencer could spread the wealth a bit (web guy and block kid) and get some velocity going for the artists and himself. Betcha some new code alone could shave some time off Spencer's updates. This should be important as he makes a point of stating how little free time he has with that full-time job in place. Yep, that's most all of us in that boat. And who wouldn't like a way to free up an extra hour or two a month, every month, gofo? How could any of this be bad for anybody?

As the site stands, I never visit. Never. As in well over 10 years. When I did 15 years ago, it was a time when all sites looked like that. Meanwhile I visit the other big'uns several times a week..at least.

I'm as cheap as the next guy, but sometimes too much chintz can stand in the way of growth, success and customer service. And the lack of these things doesn't just hurt Spencer, but also his artists. He won't listen to me, but maybe somebody he does listen to can whisper in his ear...?

Hopefully this won't spark a rage of Spencer it the BEST type posts...this is constructive criticism.

Sometimes you have to deal with the refuse to get the truffle. Lots of refuse here, I agree, and the negatives outwiegh the positives for me...and there are some positives obviously. But to each his own. We all have dealer's we love who others hate and versa vice. And Spencer usually goes to NYCC I think, I do not know about other shows.

"this page could cost 3-5k don't waste my time if you can't afford that " :roflmao:

I've been interested in a few pieces on his site but passed because his rules read more like a lecture than instructions.

He's going out of his way to help someone possibly purchase a piece of art they're looking for. And it sounds like it's not even an artist he represents. Telling someone not to waste his time while he's doing them a favor isn't so out of line.

Sure, he could have said it nicer. But then he wouldn't be Spencer. ;)

Sometimes you have to deal with the refuse to get the truffle. Lots of refuse here, I agree, and the negatives outwiegh the positives for me...and there are some positives obviously. But to each his own. We all have dealer's we love who others hate and versa vice. And Spencer usually goes to NYCC I think, I do not know about other shows.

Spencer usually does NYCC. (Being able to look through ALL that art is worth the price of admission.) I know he's done one or two other east coast shows in the past, but I don't think it's common.

He's going out of his way to help someone possibly purchase a piece of art they're looking for. And it sounds like it's not even an artist he represents. Telling someone not to waste his time while he's doing them a favor isn't so out of line.

Sure, he could have said it nicer. But then he wouldn't be Spencer. ;)

I agree; I'm sure it must happen a lot. I thought it was a reasonable thing to ask

It reminds me of the Seinfeld "Soup" episode, where people continue to patronize the business despite any lack of traditional bedside manners or maybe less than patient directness nor providing red carpet welcome mat inspired customer service. Similarly, customers actually continue to line up and support the business, just look at his year end sale threads on the message boards on how many people cue up with their requests and wait patiently on his terms.

As a buyer, individuals are entitled to spend with whom they want, for whatever reason they want.

As a seller, he's entitled to structure his business in any fashion, be it the website, his communication, his pricing and his policies.

I'll say this, his rules are explicit, in that they're written out, with no surprises, so he's detailed oriented. His pricing is and has always been fair, and I think he provides good guidance to the artists he represents on how to price to move product fairly. His fulfillment is spot on, sent timely with sturdy packaging. So, aside from any comments about the perception of communication, I've never heard anyone speak ill of his business and integrity. He's always followed through and does appreciate the business with a "Thank you" and does say "Sorry, the item you requested has been sold" as opposed to a "Tough luck", and has his pleasantries.

So, I continue to maintain, although the communication and strictness of the rules may be a bit untraditional if not quirky at times, but putting that aside, he's not one of those dealers who try to price gouge, field better offers on art he's committed to a sale, or does anything unethical by any means and is one of the most forthright businesses I continue to have the pleasure of dealing with, a true straight shooter.

Don't let Spencer's formality deter you. He is not a rude guy. I'm so used to automatic updates and tracking numbers it did make me a bit antsy so i know what you guys mean there, if you're spending thousands on a piece of art you probably want more information but I can assure you from personal experience if you need to get a hold of Spencer if something important comes up he's very quick to respond.

His ordering terms kept me away for years but once I did buy from him I could say the transaction was smooth as butter. If there was a button i could press to order electronically I'd use him much more often but he lays out his reasons for not doing that, so i have to respect it.