• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are Golden/Silver age books really safe investments??

240 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I was wondering what your thoughts were on the true investing potential of golden and silver age books?

Obviously I feel that some books will continue to grow in value but im having some second thoughts on the smaller golden/silver age keys or minor keys. Will people who are being born in the 1990s and 2000s really care about these books when they get much older. I know many books for many collectors hold collectors value as well as sentimental value because they grew up with these books since they were kids, or they used to idolize superhero "XXXXX" etc.

Will the kids of today really care about the first appearances of figures like Ant man, plastic man , kingpin, atom man etc?

Hope to hear your input!

I recently was in a store that had a dozen copies of FF #1. When I approached the counter, the clerk told me there was a one FF#1 a customer policy. seems they wanted to save them for their regular buyers. I immediately left the store and won't go back.

In all seriousness, I don't know what the long run holds for these books, nor do I care.

I may be alive 50 years from now, but I certainly won't be buying and selling books.

My radar only extends out a dozen years or so, and that future is so bright, I need a pair of raybans to see it properly.

As long as CDs are paying less than 10%, folks will look elsewhere for investments. If rates climb so investors can get 15% a year on a T-Bill, the hobby market is in trouble.

I care about the first appearances of all of those characters from the 30-70s and I was born in the 80s so...yes?

But are you typical of your generation, and will other people your age feel the same way often enough to maintain value and grow it?

I care about the first appearances of all of those characters from the 30-70s and I was born in the 80s so...yes?

But are you typical of your generation, and will other people your age feel the same way often enough to maintain value and grow it?

They have so far.

I was born in 85 and am slowly buying up all the Silver Age first appearances of main characters.

My LCS also said there had been a lot of younger readers inquiring about Silver Age books in the last month.

I'd imagine we will see a huge influx of mid 20s to late 30s collectors into the market. These people who loved comics in the 90s but lost interest when they weren't readily available have been watching all the films. They will suddenly want to collect these books.

About 3 or 4 years ago I was working for my LCS. Someone came in one day and bought the whole Galactus FF run off the wall. All the books were CGCed. The owner said he was just some random collector who saw the movies and wanted the books he'd read as a kid. He was probably in his late 40s, but I think this will become a common practice.

As I've said before, I think this is an exciting time to be a comic reader/collector.

Will the kids of today really care about the first appearances of figures like Ant man, plastic man , kingpin, atom man etc?

I would never count out any old school character from becoming popular again. Comic books are getting better, and comic book movies are introducing tons of people to the medium. As they get more interested, they will more than likely go back to see where all these great characters and stories came from. I think the hobby will do just fine.

Good books will hold there value, I do feel that the increased value will be different depending on the grade. Investment grade might turn out to be low grade not high grade, as the ticket to get into the show will go up. Which means the masses of collectors want to just own a copy of the first appearances which will drive the low grade books up.

Good books will hold there value, I do feel that the increased value will be different depending on the grade. Investment grade might turn out to be low grade not high grade, as the ticket to get into the show will go up. Which means the masses of collectors want to just own a copy of the first appearances which will drive the low grade books up.

So in other words, all comics will get more valuable?

Hello All,

I was wondering what your thoughts were on the true investing potential of golden and silver age books?

Obviously I feel that some books will continue to grow in value but im having some second thoughts on the smaller golden/silver age keys or minor keys. Will people who are being born in the 1990s and 2000s really care about these books when they get much older. I know many books for many collectors hold collectors value as well as sentimental value because they grew up with these books since they were kids, or they used to idolize superhero "XXXXX" etc.

Hope to hear your input!

Movies are helping these characters stay relevant, so I think those Golden and Silver age books will always have an audience.

I think there will always be an audience, but I definitely think a shift to original art will happen. Especially as more and more artists shift to digital, I have a feeling OA will be the more desired collectible.

Atom Man is awesome. He's always going to be one of those characters with a devoted following, like Molecule Boy, The Inflammables, Captain Iceball and my personal favourite, Callipygous Gal

So in other words, all comics will get more valuable?

all comics are not good comics, so no