• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masters 2013 MEGATHREAD

60 posts in this topic

Hey Doug!

Great story. Yeah cgc has been a bit tight grading wise lately. I am happy because I thought at first a 9.2 dropped to a 9.0.

Jim had fun sketching on those and it was great working with you. :)

Sweet books!

-Sean

Adventure Comics #346

Except that's not shooters first work :( Action Comics #339 is, He did it when he was 13.

Amazing books none the less love the little superman remark.

Actually it was his first work, both books were July 1966 cover dates (which would make him 14 not 13). Shooter scripted the backup story in Action ("Brainiac's Blitz!"), but had the lead story and did the pencils (and thus was his first published art) in Adventure.

At 13 he did start sending stories to DC. At 14 Mort Weisinger comissioned him to write some stories, don't know if they were ever published under other names, or even under Mort's name. Then later that year his stories in Adventure and Action were published

So its fair to say either book is Jim's first published work, but Adventure would be Jim's first published art.

Adventure Comics #346

Except that's not shooters first work :( Action Comics #339 is, He did it when he was 13.

Amazing books none the less love the little superman remark.

Actually it was his first work, both books were July 1966 cover dates (which would make him 14 not 13). Shooter scripted the backup story in Action ("Brainiac's Blitz!"), but had the lead story and did the pencils (and thus was his first published art) in Adventure.

At 13 he did start sending stories to DC. At 14 Mort Weisinger comissioned him to write some stories, don't know if they were ever published under other names, or even under Mort's name. Then later that year his stories in Adventure and Action were published

So its fair to say either book is Jim's first published work, but Adventure would be Jim's first published art.

Ah thanks for the clearing up, So which would cgc say it was?

"Jim Shooter stories begin" is noted on Adventure, but not Action.

According to Mike's Amazing World

Adventure Comics #346 July 1966 05/26/66

DC Action Comics #339 July 1966 05/26/66

they came out the same day/week in May of 66

Just for reference (since I accidentally started the conversation). I have always considered Adventure 346, the first work of Shooter given the importance and contribution of the issue. I have no doubt in my mind that the story from Action 339 was written and probably submitted well before hand. In my mind it is the combination of writing and pencils (with help from Moldoff) that would cement this with the "First Jim Shooter Work" title.

Thanks for the complements on the books, still searching for a 9.8 copy though! If your at conventions keep me in mind my PM box is always open (and unfortunately my wallet as well) lol

Just for reference (since I accidentally started the conversation). I have always considered Adventure 346, the first work of Shooter given the importance and contribution of the issue. I have no doubt in my mind that the story from Action 339 was written and probably submitted well before hand. In my mind it is the combination of writing and pencils (with help from Moldoff) that would cement this with the "First Jim Shooter Work" title.

Thanks for the complements on the books, still searching for a 9.8 copy though! If your at conventions keep me in mind my PM box is always open (and unfortunately my wallet as well) lol

:wishluck::taptaptap:

Just back, a .4 downgrade on my 129 (I've gotten over it though :() and .2 on my 135 but still some fine looking books, and fingers crossed on my last 3 still at CGC..thanks Sean!

null-3.jpg

null-2.jpg

null-1.jpg

null.jpg

null-5.jpg

This Wolverine 1 (1988) had been previously signed by Stan Lee. This time around Chris Claremont and John Romita signed it and it was signed and sketched by Herb Trimpe. This remark came out the best of the three that he did for me, but since I am such a Captain America fan I had to have Mr. Trimpe remark the only two Captain America comics that he did the interior art for. Thanks to NYComics for these four as well as the others that I do not have time to scan and post now. I am gearing up for the next round.

Scan00900004_zps0186dea6.jpg

This Wolverine 1 (1988) had been previously signed by Stan Lee. This time around Chris Claremont and John Romita signed it and it was signed and sketched by Herb Trimpe. This remark came out the best of the three that he did for me, but since I am such a Captain America fan I had to have Mr. Trimpe remark the only two Captain America comics that he did the interior art for. Thanks to NYComics for these four as well as the others that I do not have time to scan and post now. I am gearing up for the next round.

Scan00900004_zps0186dea6.jpg

:cloud9: outstanding