• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel '500 Keys'

185 posts in this topic

I mentioned my 500 Marvel Keys list in a thread last week, and I've been getting requests for the list, so I'm going to post the link here in a thread and hopefully get some discussion:

500 Keys

After owning a comic shop in the 90's and selling off two separate collections, when I started on my third (and final) collection in 2008 - I decided to collect only Marvel key issue books from SA/BA/CA (I stuck this thread in SA because I don't want it in CG). I wanted a round number to go for, so I came up with '500'. This list also includes key runs that were important for the character (like Nick Fury's Strange Tales run, or the Galactus Trilogy), and I tilt towards the cosmic stuff, so there's some bias towards that.

I'm sure there will be opinions on what should and shouldn't be keys - but this is what my collecting focus is.

There are some better keys than some of the ones you have listed.

I mean Howard the Duck! Really? (shrug)

I'm trying to keep it well-rounded. I'm not a fan of HTD, but I figure he belongs on there. If I'm missing some, let me know! I have room to take stuff off the list, too. I figure things like 1st appearance of Bishop can fall off to replace more important key issues.

I've been focusing on all the major keys,and second appearances.I'm also collecting DC as well as Marvel,so I Have to be more conservative(money wise) with my choices. the tenth appearance of a character are pretty much out of the question,unless I am able to get all the major keys(which hasn't happened yet) out of the way.I really love your list,just like to bust your balls! Pun intended. lol

I've been focusing on all the major keys,and second appearances.I'm also collecting DC as well as Marvel,so I Have to be more conservative(money wise) with my choices. the tenth appearance of a character are pretty much out of the question,unless I am able to get all the major keys(which hasn't happened yet) out of the way.I really love your list,just like to bust your balls! Pun intended. lol

lol

Yeah, when I started putting the list together I wanted to also give myself some lattitude to buy a $10 book or a $1000 book - depending on my budget. Black Panther #1 isn't a major key by any means, but I can check it off my list when my comic budget is on lean times.

It's certainly an interesting idea. I might have to put together something like this myself, just for fun. 500 is a heck of a lot, though.

The first things that jump out missing from your current list for me are Doctor Strange #169 and Marvel Premiere #3, the first issue of Dr. Strange's new series, with BWS art and a great black frame cover.

171223576_e1faef7f4a_o.jpg

3-1.jpg

Also, Avengers #100. Which is both an anniversary issue but more importantly features incredible BWS art.

Avengers100-01.jpg

Of course, key is subjective. For example, I would probably include something like Adventures Into Fear #20 - the first issue of the solo Morbius run - ahead of something like Adventures Into Fear #31, the last issue.

When you get into classic stories, that becomes even more subjective I think. Personally I don't consider Kitty Pryde and Wolverine to be a classic story, whereas I would classify something like, say, The Death of Jean DeWolff as a classic. Or more classic, anyway.

Very interesting list.

Oh and Hello,Savage Tales #1 . That should be on your list. :headbang:
Are you sure you're not just trying to get him to look at some Man-Thing? lol

Not that there's anything wrong with it. (shrug)

Thanks Oak and CB - I'll add those to the list. At current count, I have 491, so room to add those Dr. Strange books before I have to start taking some off.

I think I have to add GIANT SIZE MAN THING just because.

:applause: Man Thing #1 (thumbs u

A whole Man Thing,thing! (thumbs u

:ohnoez:

Then of course you have to add Fear(Adventures into) #10 For a whole Man Thing trifecta.

Maybe some PMS X-Men? Morlocks/Caliban? It's a shame to skip such a killer run completely.

It was hard for me to be objective on X-Men because those are my main reads - for me, X-Men 94-300 is all key issues. lol I've read and re-read that run at least 15 times since the 90s. I may have to go back and try and figure out which ones to include after the Bryne issues.