• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Check Out This Awesome Thing I Have!!! thread...

77 posts in this topic

Some really awesome stuff in this thread. I'm currently in the process of rebuilding my collection. I've always been a Sci-fi fan and whenever I think of Marvel Preview I think of this cover.

MarvelPreview4Cover_zpsd6b15952.jpg

I've been reading this thread and my answer was the same since the beginning.

I can't pick a single thing! Sorry! I have no kids but its like picking a favorite child, can't be done.

Of course some pages I like more than others, but among those I like a lot, I can't pick one.

Malvin

Well, if you include my illustration art collection, then either my Robert McGinnis James Bond "Thunderball" movie poster art or my Gil Elvgren masterpiece "Anchors A Wow" would probably take top billing in the awesome department. But, if we're just talking about comic art, after all these years of collecting, I'm not sure any of the Kirbys, Romitas, Ditkos, Millers, Byrnes, etc. that I've acquired has been able to surpass the sheer awesomeness of the complete interior story to Marvel's G.I. Joe's #21, the "Silent Issue" featuring the first appearance of Storm Shadow - one of the best and most beloved stories of the awesome '80s! :headbang:

Joe%2021%20art.jpg

This is awesome!

Is this picture taken at Metro?

Well, if you include my illustration art collection, then either my Robert McGinnis James Bond "Thunderball" movie poster art or my Gil Elvgren masterpiece "Anchors A Wow" would probably take top billing in the awesome department. But, if we're just talking about comic art, after all these years of collecting, I'm not sure any of the Kirbys, Romitas, Ditkos, Millers, Byrnes, etc. that I've acquired has been able to surpass the sheer awesomeness of the complete interior story to Marvel's G.I. Joe's #21, the "Silent Issue" featuring the first appearance of Storm Shadow - one of the best and most beloved stories of the awesome '80s! :headbang:

Joe%2021%20art.jpg

OK, I hope this doesn't come off as if I'm trying to be a d i c k because I'm trying to learn here, but I've never heard of this story! Who drew it? Is it famous mostly because it's silent, or is it the character intro (Storm Shadow)? I was never bitten by the GI Joe bug and have never read one of the comics, so this sucker is COMPLETELY off my radar, but based on comments here, I'm mostly alone. Man, this is how my wife must feel when she looks at one of my shiny new art acquisitions and says "YOU PAID HOW MUCH???!!! I DON'T GET IT!!!".

lol

Scott

Heh

I am not into GI Joe and even I have heard of this! It's by Zeck. As for other factors as to why its so popular, I'll let others chime in.

Malvin

I thought it was Larry Hama?

Heh

I am not into GI Joe and even I have heard of this! It's by Zeck. As for other factors as to why its so popular, I'll let others chime in.

Malvin

and yes it was! I had to look it up. Shows how little I know. For some reason I thought Zeck was associated with that silent issue, and he didn't do the cover to that one either. I know he did the silent issue to the new IDW series, but for whatever reason I thought he was associated with the classic Marvel silent issue.

Malvin

Malvin, just pick something that you think will amaze and astound.

Thanks Alex! But most of my nicer pieces are already highlighted on my CAF and have plenty of views already, so there won't be anything new I can present t amaze and astound.

I'll just oogle at what others put up.

Malvin

Heh

Malvin

It is. It's written and penciled by Hama and inked by Leialoha.

Like Speedy said, it's the quintessential example of sequential storytelling. No words the whole issue but so much story being told in those pages. Even cooler because Snake Eyes the character doesn't talk so it mirrors his mystique and it's also the first appearance of Storm Shadow, who, along with Snake Eyes, are arguably the coolest characters in the franchise. Ninjas, baby. Ninjas.

tsdvbatsjoker.jpg

This page to me represents everything there is about the Batman. The left hook taking out Joker's jaw...the flow of the page. IMO one of the best Sale pages from DV. Reminds me of the scene on the beach at the end in Bats #251.

Heh

Malvin

It is. It's written and penciled by Hama and inked by Leialoha.

Like Speedy said, it's the quintessential example of sequential storytelling. No words the whole issue but so much story being told in those pages. Even cooler because Snake Eyes the character doesn't talk so it mirrors his mystique and it's also the first appearance of Storm Shadow, who, along with Snake Eyes, are arguably the coolest characters in the franchise. Ninjas, baby. Ninjas.

I've never read this issue either. But I did read quite a few of the 'NUFF SAID issues(Not text or word balloons in all of the titles Marvel put out during a certain month. Sep 2002?) Marvel put out a few years ago. I liked all of the ones I was able to find.

I was wondering what the consensus of the at in those is? Comparable to the G.I. JOE issue? Or do the pale in comparison since G.I. JOE was the first?

hm I thought we'd be seeing this guy at some point. :)

But I really love it!! lol

I am working on raising funds for another Starlord painted cover then I will have 3 of the 6 done.

tsdvbatsjoker.jpg

This page to me represents everything there is about the Batman. The left hook taking out Joker's jaw...the flow of the page. IMO one of the best Sale pages from DV. Reminds me of the scene on the beach at the end in Bats #251.

Oo, that's pretty!

Joe%2021%20art.jpg

OK, I hope this doesn't come off as if I'm trying to be a d i c k because I'm trying to learn here, but I've never heard of this story! Who drew it? Is it famous mostly because it's silent, or is it the character intro (Storm Shadow)? I was never bitten by the GI Joe bug and have never read one of the comics, so this sucker is COMPLETELY off my radar, but based on comments here, I'm mostly alone. Man, this is how my wife must feel when she looks at one of my shiny new art acquisitions and says "YOU PAID HOW MUCH???!!! I DON'T GET IT!!!".

lol

Scott

I think I can see a small tear running out from under Snake Eyes' mask on your CAF page! :cry: