• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Archer and Armstrong

18 posts in this topic

For some reason, the different Valiant titles all get lumped together under generic Valiant topics, so there has seen some discussion of Archer & Armstrong in there.

No reason we can't talk about A&A separately. (thumbs u

How much of it have you read so far?

Of all the new Valiant titles A&A has been the most polarizing. Some have really like it and some have not really cared for it.

I like it overall but what stands out about this title is there are some big ideas and back history being layed out in this title pertinent to the whole Valiant universe that the other titles don't touch on (yet). In truth, all the Valiant titles do this to an extent but I feel A&A does this even more so that we may find that some of the past issues may become required reading in the future. I'm saying this all vaguely to not give anything away. ;)

I picked it up after seeing some of Ema Lupacchino's pencilled ages at LSCC. It's quite a fun easy read. I dropped it off my standing order (amongst loads others) to refocus my buying habits but I'll probably still buy it off of the shelves on a slow week, or at the very least switch to trades.

I never read the older Valiant releases despite having random issues in my collection (car boot lots) but A&A and Harbinger reboots are two I'm glad I tried. The cheap trades are worth trying if your unsure.

I actually havent started yet, wondering if its something i should start, it looks pretty interesting

Start with the first trade, which retails for $9.99, or Amazon at $7.98...

http://www.amazon.com/Archer-Armstrong-Michelangelo-Code-TP/dp/0979640989/

... unless you can find the first four issues for $2 each.

There is a $1 edition of #1 ("One Dollar Debut") that came out recently, so it's the easiest, cheapest way to get the first issue.

Some dealers may have ordered heavily on the first few issues, so they might be available for under $3.99 each (cover price).

The second trade will be out in August, the retail price ($14.99) is essentially the same price as buying the singles...

but sites like Amazon have pre-orders at $9.99.

http://www.amazon.com/Archer-Armstrong-Wrath-Eternal-Warrior/dp/1939346045/

I'm about to drop A&A, I've given it 10 issues in...I have not enjoyed it at all to be honest, but gave it a wider leash because it's a Valiant title. Like what Lobo said, the views on this seem to come in at extremes...

IGN by Jesse Schedeen, Benjamin Bailey, Joshua Yehl and Melissa Grey

Archer and Armstrong #10

Written by Fred Van Lente | Art by Pere Perez

"Month after month, Archer and Armstrong is not only one of the best Valiant titles, it's one of the best comic books out there, period. This comic embraces fun above all else, and that's what makes it succeed. There are plenty of other serious, dark, and grim superhero books on the stands filled with brooding characters. Archer and Armstrong is the alternative, a book that is epic in scope but downright silly and proud of it. It quotes Emily Dickinson on one page and has a woman pulling dual machine guns out of her fake pregnant belly and shouting 'It's twins!' on the next. It's all over the place in all the best ways." -Ben

Final Score:

I'm about to drop A&A, I've given it 10 issues in...I have not enjoyed it at all to be honest, but gave it a wider leash because it's a Valiant title. Like what Lobo said, the views on this seem to come in at extremes...

That is pretty much my own opinion as well, but I'll keep on buying it because I'm a freakin' completist!*

Have to admit issue #0 was pretty good, though. hm

*That's why I'm gonna buy the new Quantum & Woody title, even though Priest and Bright are not the creative team. :sorry: