• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,266 posts in this topic

This little gem arrived yesterday!

Not as infamous as the "tongues" issue but very cool for sure!

1300237-LawbreakersSuspenseStories%2315.jpg

Every story in this issue has a very violent murder or death scene!

From the first story "Bum Steer" a gangster explodes as he collides with a nitro truck!

1300237-Lawbreakers1ststory.jpg

The second story "Grounds for Murder" a guy gets his face eaten by ants!

1300237-Lawbreakers2ndstory.jpg

Third story "Face to Face" a thug gets brutally beaten then thrown out a window.

1300237-Lawbreakers3rdstory.jpg

In "Dead End" this guy gets flattened by the very elevator he was rigging to kill his wife.

1300237-Lawbreakers4thstory.jpg

The fifth story "Acid Test" is the cover story.

1300237-Lawbreakers5thstory.jpg

"Out of the Frying Pan" has a gangster burnt alive over an active volcano! (What great imaginations these writers had!)

1300237-Lawbreakers6thstory.jpg

The last story "Fingerprint Removal" works too well and ends this issue with a very nice "GASP!" panel!

1300237-Lawbreakers7thstory.jpg

Great book through and through!

looking at this again, I can't believe overstreet doesn't mention "Ants eat face" or "Fingers dissolved" issue lol both are way more disgusting than the acid in the face panel.

This little gem arrived yesterday!

Not as infamous as the "tongues" issue but very cool for sure!

Every story in this issue has a very violent murder or death scene!

From the first story "Bum Steer" a gangster explodes as he collides with a nitro truck!

The second story "Grounds for Murder" a guy gets his face eaten by ants!

Third story "Face to Face" a thug gets brutally beaten then thrown out a window.

In "Dead End" this guy gets flattened by the very elevator he was rigging to kill his wife.

The fifth story "Acid Test" is the cover story.

"Out of the Frying Pan" has a gangster burnt alive over an active volcano! (What great imaginations these writers had!)

The last story "Fingerprint Removal" works too well and ends this issue with a very nice "GASP!" panel!

Great book through and through!

looking at this again, I can't believe overstreet doesn't mention "Ants eat face" or "Fingers dissolved" issue lol both are way more disgusting than the acid in the face panel.

Yes, but is it really a "horror" comic?

hm

Thanks for sharing those wild excerpts!

See my response in the Undead Thread from where this was originally posted. :gossip:
I was just joking with you about how some people stress out about the definition of a horror comic book. I did read your response in the other thread and thought it was great - very well reasoned! BTW, that's a killer copy of FRONT PAGE!

So what do you think, does Front Page contain the first mystery/horror host?

Good question. I know Yellowjacket Comics had an "Old WItch" host presenting horror stories in certain issues, but the comic book was more of a variety comic with a single horror story in each issue. Don't know in what issue "The Old Witch" first appeared, but the comic started in 1944. Front Page was published in 1945.

Speaking of Star... Just picked up my first one (and only my second non-EC pre-code). Seemed a fair price, so I couldn't hold back. It's been about 6 months since my last purchase.

Spook23.jpg

A well deserved wait, nice book. What made you decide to sway for your usual, aside from the obviously cool cover?

Edited by Twistty1

Speaking of Star... Just picked up my first one (and only my second non-EC pre-code). Seemed a fair price, so I couldn't hold back. It's been about 6 months since my last purchase.

A well deserved wait, nice book. What made you decide to sway for your usual, aside from the obviously cool cover?

After seeing quite a few sweet books from other publishers, I couldn't tame the sense of curiosity. The cover - while not overly graphic - was a little bizarre in the coolest of ways. The price seemed fair, so I pounced!

There are a few more I have my eyes on... but my desires are bigger than my budget right now; so it'll be a tough slog to fill the wish list. Not a bad start though.

Nice book!

I've always called that one the "Charlie Brown" cover. :grin:

I just got in a different type of SuspenStories myself...

CrimeSuspenStories19a.jpg

This copy has made the rounds! lol

Nice pickup.

This one came in the mail from Superworld last week. It's my oldest WDCS now:

WDCS123.jpg

:cool:

A Disney seems out of place in this thread, but that's a great looking copy! :applause:

I see no more rational place to post this book. Is there a problem with the title of this thread? Or is the problem perhaps with the focus of the collectors posting in this thread?

???