• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,253 posts in this topic

Nice, but I'm still basking in the glow of the Frankenstein.

Nice HOM 2. I like the cover on that book better than the 1.

FantasticFears3.jpg

Great FF book. I like how poetically the cover blurb is waxing, contrasting with the imagery. Is this an upgrade? Nice to see you can add nice pieces to your collection thumbsup2.gif

I'm sort of surprised to your liking HoM 2's cover to HoM 1's cover. HoM 1's is the Brundage homage cover right? To me, it has the perfect atmosphere and subject matter for a horror title. The choice of the angle on HoM 2 (à la Crime Suspentories # 9) has never been a favorite for me. I'm still glad to have the copy I bought because aside from the spine stress, the rest of the cover is crease-free on this black cover.

Great FF book. I like how poetically the cover blurb is waxing, contrasting with the imagery. Is this an upgrade? Nice to see you can add nice pieces to your collection thumbsup2.gif

I'm sort of surprised to your liking HoM 2's cover to HoM 1's cover. HoM 1's is the Brundage homage cover right? To me, it has the perfect atmosphere and subject matter for a horror title. The choice of the angle on HoM 2 (à la Crime Suspentories # 9) has never been a favorite for me. I'm still glad to have the copy I bought because aside from the spine stress, the rest of the cover is crease-free on this black cover.

I have two copies of this book, not through upgrading but just because I like it. Nothing wrong with a red cover smile.gif and Ajax/Farrell stories are enjoyable. This was sitting on top of a stack when I was deciding which books to post this month, but I don't know whether it's better than the other. They're both pretty nice.

None of the comics I've posted in this thread, or any other, were recently acquired. I do still purchase books, but I prefer not to post the recent acquisitions.

I'm not a big fan of HOM #1. The colors are quite dull (even on the high-grade copies) and the art does quite have the same impact as that of Brundage's version. I have seen high grade copies of HOM #2 and I like the jungle atmosphere and the solid blacks.

There's a printing defect on the rh side where the inks were laid down properly, but otherwise a pretty nice copy.

DarkMys19.jpg

Today's MailBag - Now I can finally read all about the Rat Men of Paris -

1168555-StrangeMysteries4s.jpg

Heck with the scanning, get on with the reading. After all, this is the definitive account of the underground scene in Paris, circa 1953. tongue.gif

27_laughing.gif I like the "raffle" concept on the spellbound.

That's a beauty! And after your experience with that Haunt of Fear #12, must be a relief to have purchased this one slabbed. Did you trade in the #12 to get this book, or did you end up keeping it?

Well here it is, a day before my 2 year anniversary on these boards. I don’t know whether to thank or hate you all for exposing me to the vast majority of cool books that would have passed under my radar. To celebrate my anniversary, I want to share a book that I’ve wanted since I saw it posted here, Blue Bolt Weird Tales # 114. Such an awesome cover with all those colors, tropical fish, a shark, and an unchained corpse walking over brain coral all drawn by L. B. Cole! This book screamed “MUST HAVE!”

1192522-BlueBoltWeird%23114Front.jpg

What’s even better is that the inside of the book does not disappoint. The first tale up is the cover story “Swamp Spirit” by Jay Disbrow (a great artist whom I wasn’t aware of if not for these boards).

1192522-BlueBoltWeird%23114SwampSpiritTitle.jpg

Some very chilling panels follow…(note the skull face on the tree).

1192522-BlueBoltWeird%23114SwampSpirit1.jpg1192522-BlueBoltWeird%23114SwampSpirit2.jpg

There is even an acid-in-the-face panel (actually elixir of life but with the same results) at the end, very cool!

1192522-BlueBoltWeird%23114SwampSpiritAcid.jpg

Some of you I know have a copy of this book and know all about it so I’ll leave you with one last splash from the story “The insider”. Can anyone tell I’m really happy with this book?

1192522-BlueBoltWeird%23114Insider.jpg

589a8d17de74d_1192522-BlueBoltWeird114Insider.jpg.c73861b9080f32fa1ed2e67cb69cd2ca.jpg

Excellent 893applaud-thumb.gif Great looking copy and splendid scan. I had never noticed the text on the left side on the yellow background. Great detail. (That shark reminds me of Hergé's shark btw.) A cool way to celebrate.