• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,270 posts in this topic

My shop gets little batches(6-12 books) here and there of nice stuff. Some from the owner when he wants a new hot tub or something, some from the local mailman that drops a few books off occasionally from his personal stash and finally another guy that slowly sells books to help with medical bills. Anyway, about every 3 to 4 months something turns up.

However, this last batch of books was already presented to 2 other shops first and both turned the books away! 893whatthe.gif They were from an estate find.

Yes, the prices are very attractive. Keep away as the shop is in a rough part of town.

My shop gets little batches(6-12 books) here and there of nice stuff. Some from the owner when he wants a new hot tub or something, some from the local mailman that drops a few books off occasionally from his personal stash and finally another guy that slowly sells books to help with medical bills. Anyway, about every 3 to 4 months something turns up.

However, this last batch of books was already presented to 2 other shops first and both turned the books away! 893whatthe.gif They were from an estate find.

Yes, the prices are very attractive. Keep away as the shop is in a rough part of town.

I'll bring my gat. thumbsup2.gif

[quote

Wish my shop had books like that! Very nice!

You wouldn't believe the stories Andy has about that place. 1950s prices too. mad.gif

This is the place that I got my Superman 10, X-men 2 that graded cgc7.5 and some other stuff. You never know what may turn up. One time a nice collection showed up and it happened right after I left. Some guy had the DC Challengers of the Unknown 1-15 and issue 1 was vg+(that means it is more like fine as he always undergrades golden age) for $125 I believe. Also had a bunch of low to midgrade EC. The stuff was gone before I came back 3 days later. He prices stuff to move because he is afraid of someone breaking in and stealing the stuff. He once turned down a Showcase 4 because it was too valuable to have in the store! 893whatthe.gif

Well it is 6/6/06 so it’s as good a day as any to show off my “Horror Grail” book!

This book has been on kind of a “wish list”, meaning I thought I’d never find a decent copy to call my own. But alas, dreams do come true! The scan does not capture the gloss and deep color inks that this cover has, it is truly amazing in hand!

1260652-CityoftheLivingDeadFront.jpg

The interior stories are very good but none are over the top with gore or violent scenes. The book is a “one shot” published by Avon that includes 5 stories with one being text. The first up is the cover story “City of the Living Dead!”

1260652-City1stStory.jpg

Second is “The Glistening Death” which seems familiar (maybe it’s been reprinted?)

1260652-City2ndStory.jpg

Third story “The Witches Come at Midnight!” has great art in this splash!

1260652-City3rdStory.jpg

The fourth story is “Death Has Many Tongues”

1260652-City4thStory.jpg

This story was neat as the Captain was a slave trader that was captured by the natives and cursed to have his murdered (slave) victims “sprout” from his arms. Here he is trying to cut them off. The poor fool; doesn’t he realize he’s in a horror story?

1260652-City4thStoryPanel.jpg

Just an amazing book I thought I’d never own so I’m currently on cloud9.gif.

1260652-City4thStory.jpg.d106e44367a1b68c84d46a0b464237a9.jpg

Signed stories - cloud9.gif

No doubt! This is the exception for most pre-code horror stories, did Avon have a strict policy regarding signed work?

BTW: One of the spot illos. from the text story!

1260748-CityText.jpg

1260748-CityText.jpg.e625c66d8b3524aa4f1ff1501183bc87.jpg

I've got a question for the collective unconscious out there. Twenty years ago, I bought a collection that spanned from the 40s to the 80s, very incomplete, random stuff. There was one comic in it which I sold way back then, but that left an impression on me. It was a post-code "horror", possibly ACG. The cover featured a panic-stricken fellow who was out camping, and had dropped his medications in the river, and fished them out with all the labels washed off, causing him to freak. This seemed to me to be the height of post-code terror.

Does it ring a bell for anyone? I know this thread focuses on pre-code, but I thought someone might know what is was anyway.

It was a post-code "horror", possibly ACG. The cover featured a panic-stricken fellow who was out camping, and had dropped his medications in the river, and fished them out with all the labels washed off, causing him to freak. This seemed to me to be the height of post-code terror.

Not ACG, Charlton - Strange Suspense Stories # 27 -

1268560-StrangeSuspenseStories27.jpg

acclaim.gif

It was fun though going through all the ACG horror covers as I'd never seen most of their post-code stuff before. Not finding it there, my second hunch was Charlton and it paid off.

1268560-StrangeSuspenseStories27.jpg.b8bb56637322ab87d549af8049b9262a.jpg

It was a post-code "horror", possibly ACG. The cover featured a panic-stricken fellow who was out camping, and had dropped his medications in the river, and fished them out with all the labels washed off, causing him to freak. This seemed to me to be the height of post-code terror.

acclaim.gif

It was fun though going through all the ACG horror covers as I'd never seen most of their post-code stuff before. Not finding it there, my second hunch was Charlton and it paid off.

That is sooo cool. That's the exact comic I was referring to, although I remembered the scene a little differently. Perhaps a whole 'nother thread can be started on astonishingly lame post-code horror covers.

893applaud-thumb.gif

acclaim.gif

Good job, Scrooge! thumbsup2.gif

I thought about going through GCD and then I thought about how many titles it would be and I started to lose interest very quickly.

I thought about going through GCD and then I thought about how many titles it would be and I started to lose interest very quickly.

I really enjoyed going through the covers and I was able to unearth a couple of Eiffel Tower covers at the same time. A nice bonus.