• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,262 posts in this topic

Wow super happy to have this book. Ive been after a COT for awhile and I wanted either a 17 or 18 but they are so pricey even in shabby condition. For whatever reason this book was sitting on ebay with a few hours left with zero bids (holiday week?). I got it for 375.00 (only bidder) and Im really happy with the condition.

-

crypt18front.jpg

Here's an interior page to HT #5

592308-pg1.jpg

Wow, one of the wildest pre-code splash pages... it inspired a few comic artists in recent years, such as Jim Osborne, who updated it for the 1981 "100% White Girl" VKTMS 7" pic sleeve... which got a bit of backlash from some of the punks who pressured Osborne to do a turnabout version, putting the female in the power position, on a subsequent VKTMS flyer (anybody got a sharp copy?).

vktms45.jpgvktms11.0.gif

Nice to see the Haunted Thrills #5 cover large. Thanks!

Edited by crawdad

Ghastly, add Farrell to the list of publishers that can get away with using pink. They had a bunch of covers in various shades of pink and purple. They even used hot pink for the cover of an issue of Strange Fantasy!

Note the next to last issue of Haunt of Fear (#27). Weird Fantasy #20 (the banner color).

Hey, in the '50s, pink was a rock and roll color, when loud colors were used a lot (but not all at once like they were in the late '60s!)

A couple of new ones...

weirdmyst7.jpg

Look he's the head honcho now. 893applaud-thumb.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif One of two sci-fi covers in the series. Right? My two personal favs.

Yeah, this one and 14...maybe 15 too since the exploding guy has gears and stuff flying out of his head.

Here are two you don't see very often and both feature painted covers by George Meyerriecks. The art on number five is particularly unusual; the main image has a look that's almost like a Renaissance painting. I was shocked to get them both for under half guide. St. John really had a history of pushing the envelope stylistically...at least in terms of their covers.

strangeterrors3.jpg

strangeterrors5.jpg

Man, those are some awesome covers. thumbsup2.gif

Thanks. I was just blown away when I first saw the number 5. Meyerriecks did another painted Strange Terrors cover as well, for the second issue. I intend to find that one as well.

Voodas are a bit tougher than Voodoo to find. However, keep in mind that they may not be filed under "pre-code horror" at shows. I've seen them in misc GA boxes and GGA boxes. You're right though, they are tougher than Voodoo, although there are some tough Voodoo issues.

Picked up at the SD Con yesterday.

yellowjacket7.jpg

features a story narrated by the old witch. I'm curious how you hard-core horror collector's feel about this possibly being the first horror series, as noted by Overstreet. popcorn.gif