• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,263 posts in this topic

Terrific colors on that Jumbo book! Bravo! 893whatthe.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks. It was an absolute steal at $28 shipped! A tiny spine split and that spine chip are the only flaws.

Fantastic Yellowjacket, never seen that before! 893whatthe.gif

Picked up at the SD Con yesterday.

yellowjacket7.jpg

features a story narrated by the old witch. I'm curious how you hard-core horror collector's feel about this possibly being the first horror series, as noted by Overstreet. popcorn.gif

Sigh... I used to have this book. Sold it a few years ago through Heritage. I completely agree with the "first horror series" designation, but I don't see it as a "classic" cover.

features a story narrated by the old witch. I'm curious how you hard-core horror collector's feel about this possibly being the first horror series, as noted by Overstreet. popcorn.gif

Sigh... I used to have this book. Sold it a few years ago through Heritage. I completely agree with the "first horror series" designation, but I don't see it as a "classic" cover.

What he said.

gossip.gif Nice pickup.

How does Overstreet determine what is a classic cover and what is not? I am confused on that part. There are some golden age books with covers that are, in my opinion, much more awe inspiring that that Yellowjacket but not classified as having a "classic cover". I think that was a run on sentence.

yellowjacket7.jpg

Wow look at the quality of that book, unrestored? Its amazing that you can pick up such a nice book at a Con as you think the dealers would be like rabid dogs scooping these up for resale. I am really going to try and make it to my first con next year, probably San Diego.

Thanks to Pov for this one. As he said, I now have a complete golden age run....since this series only lasted the one issue. grin.gif

The title story features a great interior splash panel that I will have to scan at some point. This is the first golden age book that I have owned that has absolutely ZERO smell on the interior. No acidity, nothing. Kinda weird!

intrigue1.jpg

Here are two you don't see very often and both feature painted covers by George Meyerriecks. The art on number five is particularly unusual; the main image has a look that's almost like a Renaissance painting. I was shocked to get them both for under half guide. St. John really had a history of pushing the envelope stylistically...at least in terms of their covers.

strangeterrors3.jpg

strangeterrors5.jpg

Here is the last of the three Meyerriecks covers from this title. Very bizarre art, I love them!

strangeterrors2.jpg

Here's a beater I got recently. I don't think its been posted before.

space.jpg

That's a classic 50s sci-fi cover.! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Just won this from the Heritage auction yay.gif

You're livin' large b25! 893applaud-thumb.gif