• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,281 posts in this topic

Have slowed down on my purchases lately but couldn't let this one go by as its been on my want list for a long time!

Nice pick-up!

I probably shouldn't admit it because it's an Everett cover, but I actually like this vignette better than the main cover. I'm more of a science fiction/fantasy than horror fan.

48106-ClipSpellbound14.jpg

The vignette looks to me like Ditko but the story is uncredited at GCD. Does anyone know who drew it?

Jack

The vignette looks to me like Ditko but the story is uncredited at GCD. Does anyone know who drew it?

You mean the vignette itself or the story inside? I always thought / assumed that the cover artist also drew the vignettes and I would say Everett. The interior art is not IDed with certainty but the AtlasTales crew put it as Burgos?

On second thoughts, I have seen some vignettes clearly not by the cover artist which leads to doubt.

Do others think the vignette is also drawn by Everett? It looks all Everett to me.

Have slowed down on my purchases lately but couldn't let this one go by as its been on my want list for a long time!

Nice Spellbound Jay.....this cover has always made me smile.....I love the ascot wearing zombie in the foreground......he is suave and debonair. lol

Scott

You mean the vignette itself or the story inside? I always thought / assumed that the cover artist also drew the vignettes and I would say Everett. The interior art is not IDed with certainty but the AtlasTales crew put it as Burgos?

On second thoughts, I have seen some vignettes clearly not by the cover artist which leads to doubt.

Do others think the vignette is also drawn by Everett? It looks all Everett to me.

Actually I meant both the vignette and the story but wasn't very clear.

As far as I know, the vignettes are sometimes but not always by the main cover artist. I was helping with some Atlas GCD indexing a while back that got very bogged down in "Who did which part of the cover?"

Burgos probably did the interior story? Then I'd say that Everett did the vignette. I could believe either Ditko (who apparently didn't touch this book) or Everett, but not Burgos. It's an appealing little image.

Jack

I believe the entire cover is Everett. That devil in the vignette is a definite give away.

Here is the title splash from the Revolt story. Burgos is a good bet and as you can see not connected with the cover vignette at all.

Story revolves around a henpecked husband (Bixby) that escapes his wife by turning into a centaur! :o

And below is the end panel from Close Shave...enjoy! :grin:

48107-Spellbound14pics.jpg.1795a844b8c8ee75f45f312f98b24781.jpg

Edited by Jayman

Actually I meant both the vignette and the story but wasn't very clear.

As far as I know, the vignettes are sometimes but not always by the main cover artist. I was helping with some Atlas GCD indexing a while back that got very bogged down in "Who did which part of the cover?"

Burgos probably did the interior story? Then I'd say that Everett did the vignette. I could believe either Ditko (who apparently didn't touch this book) or Everett, but not Burgos. It's an appealing little image.

Jack

I'd suggest Everett for the entire cover. The devil in the third panel and the hand in the first are pretty clearly Everett. I'm sure there were situations where the primary artist did not do the vignettes but Heath told me that he drew them based only on the title of the story. That resulted in vignettes that usually have nothing to do with the actual story inside.

All right! Started collecting PCH this year. I'm like... :luhv:

2nightmare10_fc.jpg2beyond_fc.jpg2startlingterror5_fc.jpg2eerie4_fc.jpg

You have good taste. Can't go wrong with Joe Kubert, LB Cole and Wally Wood pre-code horror. Eerie 4 is a great Wood cover and I almost bought a copy from Metro recently. I wish Avon hadn't obscured the beautiful girl with the story title box. Definitely cut down on the beauty of the cover...or then again, it does kind of draw your eyes to a certain spot, which may have been their intention in the first place. :devil:

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS!!!!

Scott

Edited by Wrightson fan