• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,280 posts in this topic

lol

I didn't, but should have spotted this right off the bat. Great job, Jayman! (thumbs u

I like all of the books you bought.

JourneyIntoMystery16a.jpg

Thanks Adam!

I always wanted to see the fully transformed vampire since Everett had such an interesting take on his version of a vampire.

Cloven hooves and horns looks more like a devil bat. Interesting that Ditko drew a similar creature on the cover of The Thing #14 dated June 1954 also! hm

TheThing14.jpg

WOW, both those covers are fantastic. As much as I love Ditko's 50's work, that Everett cover winds hands down. Too bad its in one of those plastic tombs... I would love to see the story behind the cover.

Bill

WOW, both those covers are fantastic. As much as I love Ditko's 50's work, that Everett cover winds hands down. Too bad its in one of those plastic tombs... I would love to see the story behind the cover.

Bill

The JIM 16 cover is by Harry Anderson. I didn't even bother checking the label to see if it was correct because it is clearly NOT by Everett.

Very nice books Matthew......you can't go wrong with L.B. Cole my friend.

Picked this one up from Richard Evans by way of Roger (Weird Paper)

Sweet Kirby demon cover and a very nice copy. Very happy to pick this one up.

Scott

Black Magic 8

BlackMagic8.jpg

So far as I can tell that's the only "horrific" horror cover that Kirby drew. He didn't like drawing horror and so his work is tamer and more suspense-oriented than other pre-code horror artists.

I thought the same thing too about this BM issue. I wish it had Kirby interior art, but at least it has such a killer cover.

Next up is a sweet mid-grade copy of Mystery Tales 19 that has a very high amount of gloss. It looks sharp inside of a Mylar boy. I know you guys love this issue. Was glad to finally track a decent copy down. Not as nice as Jay's Northford, but it will do. :cloud9:

Scott

MysteryTales19.jpg

Scott

Black Magic 8

BlackMagic8.jpg

So far as I can tell that's the only "horrific" horror cover that Kirby drew. He didn't like drawing horror and so his work is tamer and more suspense-oriented than other pre-code horror artists.

I think Black Magic #28 is the most horrific thing Kirby did. A close up of a walking corpse with freshly ripped out eyes in it's sockets!

I thought the same thing too about this BM issue. I wish it had Kirby interior art, but at least it has such a killer cover.

Next up is a sweet mid-grade copy of Mystery Tales 19 that has a very high amount of gloss. It looks sharp inside of a Mylar boy. I know you guys love this issue. Was glad to finally track a decent copy down. Not as nice as Jay's Northford, but it will do. :cloud9:

Scott

MysteryTales19.jpg

This is an impressive book to have in any condition! Nice copy!

Scott

Black Magic 8

BlackMagic8.jpg

I think Black Magic #28 is the most horrific thing Kirby did. A close up of a walking corpse with freshly ripped out eyes in it's sockets!

Yup, Scott's issue above is my 2nd fav cover from Black Magic...this is my #1 fav!

46929-blackmagic28.jpg

That's the one! A masterpiece. It's almost cubist in the way the corpse is drawn, but it works so well! Easily the most graphic thing Prize did!

Definitely a creepy cover!

Scott

Black Magic 8

BlackMagic8.jpg

This cover looks like it got some inspiration from one of my favorite films CURSE OF THE DEMON. BLACK MAGIC sports some of Kirby's most dynamic covers.

Hmmm. Dosent this demon look a bit like that fan favorite Marvel monster FIN FANG FOOM?

Bill

This cover looks like it got some inspiration from one of my favorite films CURSE OF THE DEMON. BLACK MAGIC sports some of Kirby's most dynamic covers.

Even though we know it's impossible since this is a 1952 book and the movie came out in 1957. I have a soft spot for that movie as well btw. Now, you're making me want to watch it again (thumbs u

Love that movie! I'm going to have to watch it again for sure!

Be sure to watch the extended British version "NIGHT OF THE DEMON". It has about 10 min. of extra footage that really enriches the story. Both versions are on the US DVD.

Bill

Love that movie! I'm going to have to watch it again for sure!

Be sure to watch the extended British version "NIGHT OF THE DEMON". It has about 10 min. of extra footage that really enriches the story. Both versions are on the US DVD.

Bill

Cool, thanks for the tip! (thumbs u