• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,263 posts in this topic

I've followed Pre-Code Horror for, I guess about 15 years.

To me it's leveled off except for ANYTHING Fine or better and of course, those wonderful Classic Covers.

I'd love to get a Weird Mysteries 4 and 5...in FINE or better.

Those two books in FINE or better would be very tough. I've seen maybe one of each in the past ten years that graded that high.

I have 5 in 6.0 ow/w.....passed on a 4 in 7.0 a couple of years ago.....been kicking myself ever since.

Paull, I still wince when I think about it, it was something like $150? And I just recall from the pic it was a nice book! Now that I think about it, it was precgc, and I viewed it on ebay at a place I worked at at the time, so it wouldve been about summer 1999.

That seems ridiculously low even for that time (post-Gerber). I don't think you could get a fair copy for $150 today.

Two copies in the same auction session for Weird Mysteries 5 sold on Comic Link a couple years ago for ...like....800 and 1000...maybe a 6.0 and 6.5...foggy memory.

I remember thinking that these prices were low for better than mid-grade copies.

Anybody remember that ?

I have trouble believing that a WM5 in VF went for 150.00, even 8 years ago.

8 years ago Ebay was in FULL SWING and PRE-CODE was just then reaching upper levels price-wise.

Two copies in the same auction session for Weird Mysteries 5 sold on Comic Link a couple years ago for ...like....800 and 1000...maybe a 6.0 and 6.5...foggy memory.

I remember thinking that these prices were low for better than mid-grade copies.

Anybody remember that ?

I have trouble believing that a WM5 in VF went for 150.00, even 8 years ago.

8 years ago Ebay was in FULL SWING and PRE-CODE was just then reaching upper levels price-wise.

I love quoting myself.

I looked up a thread on WM5 and it turns out it was in 2007 that a 5.0 copy sold for a measly 502.00

and a 6.5 sold for $1005.00

I would think that both would come close to going for TWICE that now.

Here is a link to that info if anybody is interested RIGHT HERE , which is worth checking out just to see that turkey Adamstranges' SWEET High Grade copy.

Edited by ajaxfarrell

Here is a link to that info if anybody is interested RIGHT HERE , which is worth checking out just to see that turkey Adamstranges' SWEET High Grade copy.

I've stopped looking at AStrange's copies. I don't need to become depressed about my collection accumulation :sorry:

Well, I did have a look-see and :hail: as usual

Here are the Weird Mysteries that sold in the auction last Saturday, along with their grades and the final-value price. Note that this is the final-value price BEFORE the 21% auction-house premium and California state sales tax. Actual cost of the lot is closer to $4,000 -- so these sold for an approximate average of $800 each.

wm-auction.jpg

I do remember the low wm5 price from ed jaster vividly, at that time I was just getting into ga and pch, and liked to check out ed's completed auctions to see what I missed/get a sense of pricing. Maybe it was miscategorized and flew under the radar?

I like to check out adamstranges books too, whenever I feel like suffering from high grade envy! Amazing stuff!!

Here are the Weird Mysteries that sold in the auction last Saturday, along with their grades and the final-value price. Note that this is the final-value price BEFORE the 21% auction-house premium and California state sales tax. Actual cost of the lot is closer to $4,000 -- so these sold for an approximate average of $800 each.

wm-auction.jpg

The WM5 and WM4 combined may be around $1000, the other books maybe $100 each. $3000 + juice and tax is a huge reach.

I agree, too much for the grades as stated. For WM 6 and 7 both in VG, I could see them at 150+ each; for #9, which is a dog of a cover, I wouldn't pay 40 for one in G. Still though, a huge reach overall, as you say.

Minor correction... I could see the #4 and #5 going for $1600 combined, for a maximum of maybe $2K for the lot. Still a huge reach.

I thought you were on the low side for the 4 & 5. At $1,600 combined, it's more in line with what I thought you thought. :thumbsup:

I just consider myself fortunate Doiby sold me his copy of 5 earlier this year.