• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,223 posts in this topic

Mystic 25 is such a sweet book when it's in nice shape .... I imagine it wasn't cheap. Uncanny Tales 17 is often plagued by smudging in the black areas.... yours is pretty nice.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Not on an Atlas book. The single face genre seemed to be the province of Standard's Horrific series, by and large.

That said, yes, it would have otherwise made a great horror cover.

Granted there would have been a screaming girl in the background or those 3 vignettes on the left but I only had the splash to work with. My main point was the subject matter being a werewolf rather than a closet full of spooky clothes. :eek:

Sadly, that "closet full of spooky clothes" was the beginning of tamed down covers for the series, and every JIUW following displayed actually even less "spookyness" on the cover. Prolly feeling the vibes from the approaching CCA censorship.

I think horror comics in general hit their height in gory covers about August of 1954, and then it was all downhill after that. JIUW just began a little early.

Look at the difference in the cover subject material up to issue #28, and then with #30 on;

http://www.comics.org/series/816/covers/

Yeah, the writing was on the wall by then. No more vamps, wolves, undead or electrocution covers. :sorry:

Begins the "walking through walls" and "shadowy figure" covers. Although the artists seemed to compensate the tamer covers with a more detailed style that was quite pleasing. Everett for example:

JourneyIntoUnknownWorlds47.jpg

WorldOfSuspense6_zps0308e854.jpg

The background of the world of Suspense gves me chills...what I imagined Mordor as as a child...

A couple of books I purchased from an OO collection that recently surfaced.

JIM6.jpg

AdventuresintoTerror13.jpg

Very nice!

Was it only Precode horror in the collection? What else did it include if you don't mind sharing.

A couple of books I purchased from an OO collection that recently surfaced.

JIM6.jpg

AdventuresintoTerror13.jpg

Very nice!

Was it only Precode horror in the collection? What else did it include if you don't mind sharing.

There was about 200 PCH. A lot of Atlas. About 1000 books. I wanted more but was only allowed a few.

This just hit the door mat. 'Well not literally'. One of a few that will be here shortly I hope..

HauntofFear3_zps2bcfe160.jpg

Pretty!

I picked up this one recently from one of the veteran PCH collectors on these boards, and it is one of my favorite covers! Thanks Jim! The scan does not do it justice...

JIUW27_zpsb3817fda.jpg

I like it!

Thanks guys. Seriously one of my favorite depictions of a vampire...just something striking to me about that image. (thumbs u

I picked up this one recently from one of the veteran PCH collectors on these boards, and it is one of my favorite covers! Thanks Jim! The scan does not do it justice...

JIUW27_zpsb3817fda.jpg

I like it!

I love it!