• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

500 DC Keys

56 posts in this topic

Howdy.

Thanks to the efforts of Dr. Balls and his 500 Marvel keys list, I started thinking about what a similar list of DC comics would look like from a similar period. So I have thrown together a list of 500 DC Keys.

A few ground rules:

- I started with Showcase #4

- I ended with Crisis on Infinite Earths #12

- like Dr. Balls, I didn't include any graphic novels, magazines or treasuries

I'm not as familiar with DC as I am with Marvel, so including classic and important storylines was a little difficult for me. I included those I was aware of. I tried to include key moments from every genre DC published, though of course some genres just don't lend themselves to having keys (I'm looking at you, romance). I only included a few longer runs, and almost all of those were Kirby Fourth World since that has become the foundation for much of the DCU.

Unfortunately, I don't have a website to post it on. I tried to just cut and paste it in here and it was a train wreck. So I've put it in my dropbox folder if anyone wants to download it. If someone wants to take this and make it more presentable for everyone, that would be swell.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/108676143/dc%20keys.xlsx

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

What you can try:

Diagnose Connection Problems

More information

:mad:

You tried the Google Drive link? It works for me in IE 9, plus of course any browser that doesn't suck.

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

What you can try:

Diagnose Connection Problems

More information

:mad:

You tried the Google Drive link? It works for me in IE 9, plus of course any browser that doesn't suck.

Work browsers suck

Going into this, as I mentioned in the other thread, I had a suspicion there were more DC keys than Marvel keys. I still think this is true, but 500 is a lot. I've been thinking about doing a top 100 SA/BA keys for both companies to narrow it down some.

It did feel to me that, while there were more upper end keys for DC, Marvel might have had more depth at the bottom end of the list. DC threw a lot of stuff at the wall in the 70's, but Marvel's stuff seemed to stick more. Nova #1 just seems like a better depth chart pick than Booster Gold #1 for some reason.

Finally, I realized that one of my picks did violate my rule of ending with Crisis #12, by two full years. I think I will leave it on the list and see who can find it first.

Nice list!

The Neal Adams classic cover is JLA #138, not #137. #137 is Supes v. Capt Marvel, which is cool in its own right.

Superboy 123 wasn't the supergirl prototype; that was Superman 123.

I'd probably disagree with some of them, and I think there are a lot of great issues post-Crisis.

Found the post-Crisis reference:

Sgt Rock #422

The file downloads as an Excel document, which I can open in Excel or in Numbers (for Mac). It also opens on my iPhone, so it looks good to me. Nice job so far! :headbang:

I picked Crisis as an endpoint partially to line up with the 500 Marvel Keys list, which only goes into Copper Age. I figured if we're going into the Copper Age with DC, Crisis is an obvious cutting off point.

Starting With Showcase #4 did mean leaving off a bunch of keys that came out in 1955 or earlier in 1956, but them's the breaks I guess. First appearances of Martian Manhunter, Batwoman and Krypto are among the issues cut because of the starting line.

edit: Fixed the missing JLA 1 problem as well as the Superboy/Superman 123 issue. I dropped Anthro 1 to make room for JLA 1, as Anthro already is represented with his Showcase debut anyway. I also changed JLA 137 to 138.