• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Metropolis Comics Grading for GA books

52 posts in this topic

I just ordered 13 GA books (Planet Comics, Jungle Comics, Thrilling Comics, Black Terror, etc.) from Metropolis, and I must say that I was really pleased with their grading. The books purchased were strictly graded between 6.5 and 9.0. A couple of the VF+ looked like VF, while a couple of VF's looked like VF+. None of the books had any tears or stains, and for the most were very glossy. I'm not sure how CGC will grade these books, but as far as I'm concerned, I'm pleased.

About a year ago I ordered a few SA books from them, but received slightly lesser grades from CGC as expected. So what I'm basically saying is that Metropolis grades all their books the same way, and does not go easy on their GA books like CGC does. Just my opinion.

I recently bought an unslabbed Great Comics #3 from them in VG+ and am very happy with it. I'll probably send it to CGC soon just for curiosity's sake, though, but I can't see it coming back significantly lower than Metro's grade. Hey, with that huge inventory of theirs, I figure they've got to be pretty tight on the grading, otherwise that stuff'll never move.

I can't attest to their Golden age grading because I have only bought CGC graded gold's from them, but on the silver-age and mainly modern age in higher grades they were consistently graded higher than they came back from cgc. Not to knock them, I think they're great people with great customer service. I just noticed they were a little overgraded as comparred to CGC.

I have no complaints with Metro's grading. I've been happy with the books I've purchased and the customer service has been quite good. Since you can get scans for books over $200 and even return them, grading accuracy is not a big issue, is it?

Metropolis Comics does grade rather well in my oppinion.

I searched long and hard for a decent copy of Action Comics #29 (that didn't involve the word mortgage). It was the first time Lois Lane was ever featured on a cover and I've been on a mission to own one for most of my life. I was sniped a while back in an eBay auction for a copy that was a lot less easy on the eyes than this one that is currently enroute to my Fortress of Solitude.

This is the info they sent me reguarding it's condition and grade, and a scan of the front and back (I had to use jpg files so excuse the lack of resolution).

Issue 29 Date 10/40 Grade:VG4

(unrestored, cover still attached, with original staples, all pages intact, ow pgs )

ACT1.jpg

ACTback.jpg

At long last my mission is complete! I'm never gonna let this one go.

Yeah Ebay is the worst place for grading especially if it's not CGC.

The Action 29 I bid for on ebay was claimed to have been (and I quote) "Maybe around 7.0" but I would have just barely given it a 4.0. But it was the Fugliest POS 4.0 I have even laid eyes on and had a very large stain or dust shadow (hard to tell) covering about an entire 4th of the book. It was very hard on the eyes. Why I bid on it was beyond me (momentary lapse of common sense) insane.gif

Good thing I came to my senses or I never would have come across the awesome copy I found at Metropolis Comics. hail.gif

It makes that ebay copy look pathetic.

Ive always thought that steve is just about one of the best graders out there.

Just one problem he uses his own scale which doesn't always jive with CGC standards so expect surprises if your going to send your book for slabbing.

I doubt I would get it graded. I plan on reading it. It's a very cool book.

I do have questions about their disclaimers....

"Scan requests for serious buyers are available for books over $500 only."

So if I'm interested in a $400 GA book, I can't even get a scan? WTF?! confused-smiley-013.gif

Also wondering what this means...

"This is only a fraction of our inventory..."

Guess I should inquire whether they have any other copies that aren't listed on their site. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

From what I've read in Comics General, Metros grading on GA is better compared to their grading on newer HG SA/BA books.

On average their grading on GA books is about a half a grade lower than CGC's, which is pretty good. I've purchased GA books from other dealers (Bedrock City, Superworld, Four Color, etc.), and their grading seems to be a bit more erratic. Sometimes they're right on, but other times they're a couple of grades off.

As far as HG/BA books are concerned, several months ago I purchased a Supergirl #1 (1972) from Metro that was advertised as 9.4, but it came back a 9.6 from CGC. I don't think a 9.8 copy exists for the book.

They'll generally send you a scan for a $400 book. They sent me one for a $175 book. I think they have that up there to keep the requests down since alot of people would request it just for the pic with no intentions of buying.

As for GA grading... they're pretty good. I picked up a 4.5 Startling Comics from them and it was spot on. I also got a 8.5 Wings from them and it was right on as well.